PDA

View Full Version : Vista/7 more secure than Linux and Mac OS X !!!

sulekha
April 14th, 2009, 04:56 AM
Hi all,

see this http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=4146

swoll1980
April 14th, 2009, 04:58 AM
Hi all,

see this http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=4146

My son swears the Easter bunny was at our house yesterday mourning.

Chemical Imbalance
April 14th, 2009, 05:00 AM
The author's stance:

I can’t help but feel that Microsoft’s “most secure OS on the planet” statement is rooted more in hyperbole than fact. If Turner had said “most secure Windows OS on the planet” I might have been happy to buy that. But to say that it’s more secure than Mac OS X or Linux, gimme a break. All my Windows machines are beefed up with additional body armor in the form of firewalls and antivirus applications, additions that are unnecessary on my Linux or Mac systems.

Thank God, I thought I was about to choke myself to death upon reading the title...:)

Mokoma
April 14th, 2009, 05:00 AM
cant.............stop.................laughing.... .............

yeah it may be the safest if you have user account control control EVERYTHING, but that thing is so dumb. who dosent turn it off?

Ericyzfr1
April 14th, 2009, 05:10 AM
The safest OS until the next exploit, in about a week!!! If you take a Vista or 7 fresh installed without the additional security software, how safe is it compared to Linux?

jrusso2
April 14th, 2009, 05:10 AM
This is pure MS fiction. Wait and see if 7 still gets virus and malware. I know that Vista still does.

Mr. Picklesworth
April 14th, 2009, 05:31 AM
I think the bigger story here is that Microsoft’s chief operating officer Kevin Turner apparently writes at a first grade level.

SunnyRabbiera
April 14th, 2009, 05:33 AM
But this is the truth in Bizarro world!
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/87/ActionComicsCvr785.jpg

Agent.Logic_
April 14th, 2009, 05:40 AM
my son swears the easter bunny was at our house yesterday mourning.
+1 :d

CraigPaleo
April 14th, 2009, 05:46 AM

What was the Easter bunny mourning at your house? :p

wersdaluv
April 14th, 2009, 05:54 AM
Saying that Megan Fox is actually a man is even more convincing. lol

Paqman
April 14th, 2009, 06:13 AM
yeah it may be the safest if you have user account control control EVERYTHING, but that thing is so dumb. who dosent turn it off?

Turning off UAC is a really bad idea.

wicky_ts
April 14th, 2009, 06:14 AM
Time to time you need to make a big noice. Even it is utterly rubbish.

Firestem4
April 14th, 2009, 06:20 AM

Being ABLE to turn UAC off is the only reason I still have Vista..What a Joke.

I haven't had a single virus on this computer for months because im not an idiot. plain and simple.

jelle_
April 14th, 2009, 07:00 AM

of couse it is. vista sais your computer is unprotected so you put that message off too. now it doesn't tell me when my firewall etc are turned off. bad design...

haemulon
April 14th, 2009, 07:07 AM
Coming just a week after the Conficker activity, it's a calculated attempt at some damage control.

It was all over the media that the Conficker virus would infect "Windows machines only".

Microsoft is worried about the Conficker news creating a negative public perception about Vista and the upcoming Windows 7.

It's true that Windows is the virus writers targeted system, but MS hasn't take security seriously enough in the past, hopefully with IE8 that will begin to change.

CGB Spender
April 14th, 2009, 07:26 AM
Had to check the date but we're nearly two weeks after April Fool's Day. Guess MS weren't game to have this article published on April 1 to coincide with Confliker's supposed D-day...:p

Noblacktie
April 14th, 2009, 07:41 AM

Why was the Easter bunny so sad?

haemulon
April 14th, 2009, 08:06 AM
Had to check the date but we're nearly two weeks after April Fool's Day. Guess MS weren't game to have this article published on April 1 to coincide with Confliker's supposed D-day...:p

Conficker is still in the news this week.

I was just reading an article in Information Week about the U of Utah getting their health centre computers infected this week, there's also one on 12 April from MSNBC.

So yeah "check the date".;)

MikeTheC
April 14th, 2009, 08:13 AM
So, now that we've had our bit of fun and a movie, who's up for dinner? (Or is it breakfast... goodness me, it's late early already!)

samjh
April 14th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Looking at the comments thread, it seems many users agree with Microsoft's spin doctors.

Vrekk
April 14th, 2009, 07:37 PM
http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=4146&tag=nl.e539

Microsoft is making a clam that the new Windows 7 will the the most secure OS on the market, better that Mac or Linux.

Im not trying to say that ubuntu trumps windows in the OS game, but it IS more secure. I doubt that ANY OS with a user base that high, even Ubuntu if and when it gets there, will be virus free and very secure.

smartboyathome
April 14th, 2009, 07:53 PM
http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=4146&tag=nl.e539

Microsoft is making a clam that the new Windows 7 will the the most secure OS on the market, better that Mac or Linux.

Im not trying to say that ubuntu trumps windows in the OS game, but it IS more secure. I doubt that ANY OS with a user base that high, even Ubuntu if and when it gets there, will be virus free and very secure.

What security all comes down to is the user. Any operating system, even Windows, can be made secure if the user is knowledgeable enough to set it up and maintain it. The problems come when the user isn't that knowledgeable, and goes to shady sites or downloads and runs stuff which shouldn't be run.

zekopeko
April 14th, 2009, 07:54 PM
"there" refers to a location. what you are looking is "their".

HermanAB
April 14th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Hmm, you got to be forgiving with grammar and spelling on these forums. For lots of people English is their 2nd, 3rd or 4th language. Even in the good Ol'US of A, English is only one of many languages in daily use, with English, Spanish and Japanese probably the most common. Also, lots of people posting here are very young and just don't know better yet.

Thre si alsp tek priblem od Netboik keuboarfs thst arw jist top frighem snall to typw om accirately.

chris200x9
April 14th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Microsoft you so silly! Windows 7 will be great in my opinion, sure it may be secure....but anyone aying any OS is the most secure on the planet is an idiot.

Peasantoid
April 14th, 2009, 08:24 PM
Hah.

bashveank
April 14th, 2009, 08:29 PM
Yup, head in the clouds, 90% market share.

tbroderick
April 14th, 2009, 08:55 PM
I thought this was going to be another thread on cloud computing :(

zekopeko
April 14th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Hmm, you got to be forgiving with grammar and spelling on these forums. For lots of people English is their 2nd, 3rd or 4th language. Even in the good Ol'US of A, English is only one of many languages in daily use, with English, Spanish and Japanese probably the most common. Also, lots of people posting here are very young and just don't know better yet.

Thre si alsp tek priblem od Netboik keuboarfs thst arw jist top frighem snall to typw om accirately.

well i believe that it's better to warn then not.
and consider that expressing thoughts in written form is always harder since you are missing the intonation and body language so mistakes could give a completely different meaning to the sentence.
/end of rant

zakany
April 14th, 2009, 09:26 PM
My Commodore 64 was more secure than anything you can run today.

Security for security's sake means little.

Idefix82
April 14th, 2009, 10:17 PM
well i believe that it's better to warn then not.

Since we are at it, 'then' refers to a temporal or causal relationship. The word you wanted to use is 'than'.

@HermanAB, I don't think that to correct someone's spelling is bad, even if the poster's first language isn't English. As your last sentence demonstrated, bad spelling makes for worse reading and everybody will benefit by improving the quality of language (be it English or anything else) used in online forums, especially the person who improves his/her spelling.

You may call me a pedant, but I always have to shiver when I read 'there' as a possessive pronoun. And my first language isn't English either.

days_of_ruin
April 14th, 2009, 10:22 PM
What was the Easter bunny mourning at your house? :p

I want to know as well.

SomeGuyDude
April 14th, 2009, 10:31 PM
Eh, "the most secure OS" is such a hazy term.

Let's say you have a car fitted with the best security system in the land (this would be Windows decked out with every antivirus/malware thing imaginable), and I have one that's got strong windows and tough locks inherently (Linux).

You live in inner-city Detroit and so people are trying to break into your car ten times a day. You go to the local 7-11 and have to watch it out the window. Twice this year you've gotten robbed. I live in an affluent suburb and so what few thieves live out there tend to give up after being unable to break my window. In addition, I'm more cautious and don't leave my car in places where it can't be seen by security cameras at night.

That's the state of play now. It doesn't matter how secure Windows gets, with an >80% market share the guys who make devastating viruses are going to do everything they can to break it knowing that they have the greatest likelihood of success (more odds of irresponsible users) and in the case of success the farthest-reach in effect.

If all of these guys who make Conficker-type viruses and exploit networks suddenly aimed at Linux, are we all really so naive as to believe we'd be invincible? Please. We put our car in the worst hoods and it's gonna get smashed into just like the rest.

t0p
April 14th, 2009, 10:55 PM
Microsoft you so silly! Windows 7 will be great in my opinion, sure it may be secure....but anyone aying any OS is the most secure on the planet is an idiot.

I was going to point out how dumb that statement is. Obviously, there is an OS that's the most secure on the planet. Just like there's a car that is the fastest. And a person who's the stupidest.

Note, I say that I was going to point out your statement's dumbness. But then I re-read your other statement ("Windows 7 will be great in my opinion") and realized: you're just kidding us along, posting the most ridiculous stuff and lol-ing about how daft we are to take it seriously.

You're a funn-ee man chris200x9!!

bakedbeans4life
April 14th, 2009, 11:34 PM
What else would you expect Microsoft to say. "Our software is a secure as needles stuck in a pincushion"?

mamamia88
April 14th, 2009, 11:38 PM
this is just public relations bull crap. even if it was the most secure os on the planet it will still be more vulnerable than any other os out there because everyone is aiming at cracking it and not linux or osx

wolfyking2
April 14th, 2009, 11:44 PM
anyone smell spam? *cough* scam *cough*

ugriffin
April 14th, 2009, 11:45 PM
That claim's rubbish. I recently installed Kubuntu 8.10 on both my parent's PC's because they were hit by some kind of virus that deleted the Windows Shell on startup. Yes, I tried fixing it, but "failed" to introduce my parents to Linux! :p

The only reason that I didn't get the virus is because I don't use Vista anymore. All three home laptops have UAC enabled. So much for a secure OS.

dragos240
April 14th, 2009, 11:46 PM
Haahahahahahhaa, windows will never catch up to linux in security, why do you think that the majority of servers these days use linux?

ugriffin
April 14th, 2009, 11:51 PM
Haahahahahahhaa, windows will never catch up to linux in security, why do you think that the majority of servers these days use linux?

*tsk tsk* It's because it's free.

But, yeah, Linux is UNIX like. And UNIX is considered the best in security.

bakedbeans4life
April 15th, 2009, 12:09 AM
*tsk tsk* It's because it's free.

But, yeah, Linux is UNIX like. And UNIX is considered the best in security.

Not that security should ever be underestimated, regardless of platform. When was the last non-Windows outbreak? Well?

Chemical Imbalance
April 15th, 2009, 12:09 AM

Haha, yes. Please be forgiving to all of us netbook users with the cramped keyboards!:p

0per4t0r
April 15th, 2009, 12:18 AM
I think microsoft should shut the heck up once in a while. A lot of the stuff (or almost all of it) that they say is a lie, anyway.

Giant Speck
April 15th, 2009, 12:29 AM
What else would you expect Microsoft to say. "Our software is a secure as needles stuck in a pincushion"?

Exactly. Microsoft will continue saying it has a secure operating system just as Coca-Cola will continue saying it has the best soft drink and Volvo will continue saying it has the safest automobiles. It's advertising. Advertising almost never gives you the whole truth.

Do you really think Microsoft would make money if they said their operating system was prone to viruses? Do you really think Coca-Cola would make money if they said that sugary soft drinks are bad for your teeth?

0per4t0r
April 15th, 2009, 12:35 AM
Exactly. Microsoft will continue saying it has a secure operating system just as Coca-Cola will continue saying it has the best soft drink and Volvo will continue saying it has the safest automobiles. It's advertising. Advertising almost never gives you the whole truth.

Do you really think Microsoft would make money if they said their operating system was prone to viruses? Do you really think Coca-Cola would make money if they said that sugary soft drinks are bad for your teeth?
sadly, it's all true.