PDA

View Full Version : Why cant we have a well documented live CD package...?

bhavi
April 14th, 2009, 04:48 AM
Why cant we have a well documented live CD package like open solaris does..
I think it helps newbies..

Refer this link

http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/19019/

Comments are welcome

Regards

tjwoosta
April 14th, 2009, 06:08 AM
i just think ubuntu needs better documentation all around

compare ubuntu's wiki to arch's wiki or many other distros wikis, ubuntu's wiki sucks

bhavi
April 14th, 2009, 09:43 AM
You are right mate... I too feel the same...

ghindo
April 14th, 2009, 09:48 AM
I'm not quite sure I understand your proposition. What sort of documentation does OpenSolaris have?

compare ubuntu's wiki to arch's wiki or many other distros wikis, ubuntu's wiki sucksDefinitely agreed.

SunnyRabbiera
April 14th, 2009, 09:54 AM
But how much room would this cost?
Ubuntu comes with a lot preinstalled, do we take it out and possibly make things harder then easier?

mips
April 14th, 2009, 10:01 AM

compare ubuntu's wiki to arch's wiki or many other distros wikis, ubuntu's wiki sucks

Have to agree 1000%

When one looks at the likes of Gentoo, Arch, Debian, various BSDs etc then one wonders wtf Ubuntu can't have good documentation.

If I was still using Ubuntu I would probably spend a lot of time looking at Debains documentation, well thats what I did back in the day anyway.

billgoldberg
April 14th, 2009, 12:26 PM
I think Ubuntu's documentation isn't that bad.

There is always google or this forum.

SuperSonic4
April 14th, 2009, 12:28 PM
I couldn't see a text document taking up much room. However, as billgoldberg said there is a lot of support for ubuntu online. Just google a problem without a specific distro and ubuntu will come up in most of the hits.

mikewhatever
April 14th, 2009, 12:41 PM

Oh please, how can you compare Ubuntu to Arch?! With Ubuntu, you load a live cd and start point and clicking through the installer, then reboot and get a fully functional desktop. Now, the question is, what's a wiki for? With Arch you boot into a text based installer, install the base system you need to configure, and then choose some kind of gui. Obviously, a guide is rather desirable in this case.

tjwoosta
April 14th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Oh please, how can you compare Ubuntu to Arch?! With Ubuntu, you load a live cd and start point and clicking through the installer, then reboot and get a fully functional desktop. Now, the question is, what's a wiki for? With Arch you boot into a text based installer, install the base system you need to configure, and then choose some kind of gui. Obviously, a guide is rather desirable in this case.

im not trying to compare ubuntu to arch

im trying to compare ubuntus wiki to the wikis of other major distrobutions, of which arch has one of the best

i am constantly finding myself pointing people here on the ubuntu forums to other wikis such as debian or arch wiki for help with setting up and configuring things

the arch wiki is not all about system configuration that ubuntu doesn't have

actually most of what is in the arch wiki can be used by any other disrtos as well

im talking about documentation for things such as

configuring alsa..

configuring pulse audio..

documentation for configuring apps such as conky or mpd

maybe even some documentation on switching keyboard layouts

theese are all just random things that i can think of off the top of my head, but there are many, many things that are not in the ubuntu wiki

and there are even more things that already exist, yet seriously lack information

sure the ubuntu forums are a great source for information as well as google, but if we had better documentation that we could just point people to when they have problems that have already been covered long ago, maybe there would not be quite so much repeating ourselves to newcomers

also the newcomers would then get a chance to actually read and figure out how and why things work a certain way

instead of just relying on asking the forums for every minor issue that they run into, then getting a quick one line response with a solution and no explanation

anyway sry for getting this thread off topic

better livecd documentation is a great place to start

Skripka
April 14th, 2009, 02:50 PM
I think Ubuntu's documentation isn't that bad.

There is always google or this forum.

When UF isn't crashing...which if Ubuntu had a dedicated Wiki that everyone knew about and was referred to-it would lighten the load on the poor servers.