PDA

View Full Version : what convinced you to try linux?

mamamia88
April 14th, 2009, 04:08 AM
people are creatures of habit and it can take alot for people to change. i was just wondering what pushed you over the edge to trying ubuntu or linux in general? mine was the fact that my laptop that should have been super fast was slow as heck because it had vista on it.

swoll1980
April 14th, 2009, 04:12 AM
people are creatures of habit and it can take alot for people to change. i was just wondering what pushed you over the edge to trying ubuntu or linux in general? mine was the fact that my laptop that should have been super fast was slow as heck because it had vista on it.

Curiosity. I saw Ubuntu on a google search result for free anti virus software. I went to the home page, and said hmmm... never heard of it. Might as well see what it is.

lisati
April 14th, 2009, 04:16 AM
Ditto on the curiosity. I'd heard of Linux, and was wondering what the fuss was about.
My first look was at a version of Red Hat but didn't have the courage to install it on my machine. When I was more confident Ubuntu was the first I tried, and the first I managed to get to work. I can't remember exactly what led me here, but suspect Google had something to do with it.

myusername
April 14th, 2009, 04:16 AM
my ipod actually. iPod Linux. then i found knoppix. then ubuntu

sharathpaps
April 14th, 2009, 04:17 AM
These would constitute my reasons I guess :

- I was tired of WinXP getting slower too.

- The plethora of errors and infections that I had to put up with. This is after being careful and more knowledgeable than the average computer user.

- I didn't want to use pirated software anymore.

- The nerd/geek factor in me.

Spr0k3t
April 14th, 2009, 04:17 AM
I'm ignorant and blind to all creations with the names Microsoft or Apple. I can't stand Microsoft for their closed fist "We pwn you" approach to the desktop entity. In reality all they originally did was copy the ideas of better systems and market strategically to bullfront a barely legal monopoly. Apple on the other hand:

lumpOfCoal == realDiamond; // Figure out which one is Apple
/* You are not expected to understand this */

I can troubleshoot most problems with windows. I can work with computer users who have never worked with windows before. Now, replace "windows" with "OSX" and it infuriates me to no end.

swoll1980
April 14th, 2009, 04:19 AM
Ditto on the curiosity. I'd heard of Linux, and was wondering what the fuss was about.
My first look was at a version of Red Hat but didn't have the courage to install it on my machine. When I was more confident Ubuntu was the first I tried, and the first I managed to get to work. I can't remember exactly what led me here, but suspect Google had something to do with it.

I had heard of Linux, but thought it was some archaic text based server software. I had no idea it was as cool as it was.

Mokoma
April 14th, 2009, 04:21 AM
vista

smartboyathome
April 14th, 2009, 04:22 AM
WindowsXShrine, actually. They had a thing up about Kubuntu, and how it could give you the look of Windows Vista without the price. I was all about trying to get XP to look like Vista then, and messed it up in the process.

CJ Master
April 14th, 2009, 04:24 AM
I found a Ubuntu CD in a bag for a real, real old computer... The CD failed for me. Most people would've bailed then, but I stuck through. :P I got the latest version (hardy I belive)... and reasived another bucketload of errors. (Which you can see if you look at some of my oldest topics.)

Now, I'm on ubuntu minimal+gnome, and I'm loving it :P

jumpstreet
April 14th, 2009, 04:27 AM
Probably the philosophy of breaking free from the strains of corporate greed that be Microsoft.

It has been so long since that first day of installing Mandrake kde and i have not changed that motive

Northsider
I had heard of Linux, but thought it was some archaic text based server software. I had no idea it was as cool as it was.

+1. Plus, the techies were always talking about it so I wanted to see what it was all about.

adamlau
Good experiences with FreeBSD and SunOS 5. Wanted something with greater driver support for common PC desktop hadware.

bashveank
April 14th, 2009, 04:31 AM
My dad is an Electrical Engineer who has run it for 8-9ish years, so I'd been around Linux for a while before I tried to run it myself.

bfc
April 14th, 2009, 04:32 AM
Back in 1994 I was working a summer job at the research facility and one of my supervisors was playing around with one of the early releases of Slackware. It wasn't much, I did find it interesting, but I was happy running OS/2 at the time.

When IBM essentially threw in the towel against Windows, I decided to make the jump to Linux, and haven't looked back.

itsStephen
April 14th, 2009, 04:35 AM
Back in 06 I had a friend who introduced me to it. I only had dial-up back then and my modem didn't work with Linux so I didnt really like it.

A couple of years passed and late last year I wanted to have a go at building a cheap computer and decided to put Linux on it and here we are today!

ninjapirate89
April 14th, 2009, 04:39 AM
All it took was one BSoD and a friend with a liveCD.

Uruz2012
April 14th, 2009, 04:42 AM
I was building my first computer from scratch and had a choice between installing windows or getting a better video card. It was a no brainer for me.

PS: I have finally used the windows button on my keyboard for something.... Amarok shortcuts.

CraigPaleo
April 14th, 2009, 04:48 AM
Curiosity and liking to try new things.

DenysT
April 14th, 2009, 04:51 AM
Curiosity mostly. Had heard about Linux for years but bad experiences with Unix after using VMS turned me off to it. Still kept looking at it over the years just because it was something to know was out there. Finally started reading some good reviews of Ubuntu and recently after a client of mine gave me their 2 year old IBM/Lenovo in which the MB had failed, but being proprietary was cheaper to replace with a new PC. I took the CPU, hard drive and DVD writer, dropped them in a new case with a Biostar MB with an Nvidia processor and said: Pay for Vista or try Ubuntu? I had tried the live CD a couple months before on a laptop (6 years old mind you) and ol' Bill has gotten enough of my money over the years and the training I got from MS was worthless in my opinion, compared to my previous training with real computer companies.

It's been a learning process, no make that an unlearning process. All those years wasted on Windows (and some MACs) when I could have been using a real OS.

pbpersson
April 14th, 2009, 04:52 AM
I have been fooling with computers and creating software since 1983.

I heard about Linux in the 20th century

Imagine a complete functioning operating system with thousands of software packages.....and it is all open source so you can see how they created it.

\\:D/

That is like letting a kid into a candy store, telling them everything is free, and they can never run out of candy.

Unfortunately, I need to sleep, eat, work, pay bills, do laundry, etc.....so I have not gotten as far as I would have liked.

However, I am having fun :guitar:

alpine4
April 14th, 2009, 04:56 AM
Six years ago or so, a friend helped me build a small music/file server that ran Slackware and FVWM.

PupSpark
April 14th, 2009, 05:46 AM

- The plethora of errors and infections that I had to put up with. This is after being careful and more knowledgeable than the average computer user.

This, and I tried Knoppix and it was awesome. That's probably also why I'm the only person ever who likes KDE.

dunbrokin
April 14th, 2009, 06:25 AM
Microsoft had poor first quarter results in Mar 08. The NYT article about MS had a quote from the director in charge of Vista which said "There is no problem with Vista". The comment pages were filled with people complaining about Vista and many of them were saying that they had moved over to Ubuntu. As my hard drive was giving me the blue screen of death at the time, I figured I may was well give it a try as my hard disk was being wiped anyway. Also, the thought of learning Vista and all the associated problems with it was a real turn off. I have been on Ubuntu for a year and have never looked back.

glotz
April 14th, 2009, 06:31 AM
For me the final straw was a pal of mine who studies computer science suggesting Ubuntu to me.

I had always been interested in trying GNU/Linux out but that little nudge was still needed. It took me some time to muster enough courage and gather enough information to do it. After that everything was good, I dual booted for some 2 months and then wiped winders.

jelle_
April 14th, 2009, 06:54 AM
reading a linux book from library and having an old computer.

yugure
April 14th, 2009, 07:05 AM
I've known about Linux for many years, having done web design and never wanting to go near a Windows server. I learned a bit early on, but I didn't care much for how it looked. A few years go by and I'm still using Mac OS X happily. Lately, however, I've been wanting to tinker. I know software pretty well, especially when it comes to the Internet, but I really wanted to learn more about hardware.

Hmmm. Hackintosh or Linux? I decided that it was time to take a more serious look at Linux.

Currently I have Ubuntu 9.04 running on a partition on my iMac. Can't make it see my wireless card, though. I've fought long and hard on this one. :( One day I'll figure it out.

Next step in The Evil Master Plan™: actually have the money to build a computer.

gn2
April 14th, 2009, 07:17 AM
A magazine article about PCLinuxOS 0.92.

IHeartMyiBook
April 14th, 2009, 07:20 AM
I read the back of Parallels for Mac and discovered that there were other operating systems besides mac and windows, i burned about 25 cds until i found Ubuntu and i instantly fell in love >.< (ever so romantic)

SunnyRabbiera
April 14th, 2009, 07:21 AM
My testimony sums me up.

hetbeest
April 14th, 2009, 07:25 AM
The search for multitasking. Back in the early nineties Windows couldn't do any real multitasking.

sekinto
April 14th, 2009, 07:36 AM
I think it started out of curiousity. I was looking for alternitive shells for Windows because the default one wasn't as customizable as I wanted it to be and I didn't like how it functioned. After trying a few other shells, which sucked even more and didn't integrate well I came across the Gnome page (I wasn't searching for "Windows shells", just "shells" because the world was pretty Windows-centric to me at the time and I didn't really consider other operating systems). Gnome seems like a great alternitive to the Windows shell, although I soon figured out it wasn't really for Windows. So I decided to try this "Linux". I first tried Freespire because it seemed Windows-like, but I really disliked it but didn't give up. I tried a few other distrobutions like Fedora but finally settled at Ubuntu because I liked it so much. I eventually worked my way down the "user friendliness ladder" trying Debian and then Gentoo because I wanted to learn more about Linux. I eventually came back to Ubuntu and am probably here to stay unless something that looks better comes along (I still try many other operating systems in VMs though).

lordyosch
April 14th, 2009, 08:06 AM
I've always been on the fringes of geekdom, some knowledge and slightly more interest.

My brother was using linux -of various types for years and he suggested I tried Mandrake (as was). I did. I hated it.

About a year or two later I got fed up of XP being soooo slow. And the fact that little of the software I was using was 'not borrowed...'

I googled about a bit, found ubuntu. Installed it. Love it.

Its not perfect but its faster, more pleasant to use and I think the problems it has are 'user based' rather than software based!

Jay

Possibly over-excited at the thought of my new Quad-core Ubuntu pre-installed PC which is on order...:guitar:

spcwingo
April 14th, 2009, 09:08 AM
I initially tried Puppy on one of my old machines and loved it, but I still stuck with XP on my desktop. After SP3 it was so slow that I could barely use it anymore. Bacause of that I decided to install Puppy on my machine. For those of you that have run Puppy, you know that apps are few and far between. I decided I needed more choice in apps so I poked around on the web until I came across Ubuntu, and I've been here ever since.

gjoellee
April 14th, 2009, 09:16 AM
My XP crashed in about 1.5 years ago. After that I have been studying Linux while I was using Ubuntu, but later on I switched to Arch.

miggols99
April 14th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Waiting 10 minutes for XP to start...I had no idea why it was so slow...

billgoldberg
April 14th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Youtube, compiz sweetness.

gnomeuser
April 14th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Convinced, well nothing really. I just wanted something different from Windows 98.

ShodanjoDM
April 14th, 2009, 10:31 AM
After I felt that I had enough of using pirated softwares, I was saving to buy an original copy of XP when I read reviews about Vista - and how it needs a lot of system upgrades, basically, a new PC for me.

So I dumped the idea of "going legal, Microsoft way" and searched around. Found Ubuntu, downloaded, burned and installed it, and never looked back ever since.

xir_
April 14th, 2009, 10:57 AM
vista

+1

kpkeerthi
April 14th, 2009, 11:01 AM
> Its free.
> No need for anti-this, anti-that and anti-for-everything-else.
> Doesn't slow down.
> Software upgrades doesn't force me do hardware upgrade.

... I can go on but I guess I'll stop here.

RazVayne
April 14th, 2009, 11:15 AM
windox did...it "pushed me over the edge" but didnt let me fall...instead it tied a noose over my neck and left me to hang...then vista came,found me choking,and decided to let me plummed towards the abyss of perpetual loading.

Hihi,my first post.

cl333r
April 14th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Main reason - windows viruses, spyware etc.
Less important reasons - more robust.
Since I'm a seldom type of user the cost of windows never mattered to me.

Pasdar
April 14th, 2009, 11:28 AM
I played a bit on a few Sun Microsystems computers at my brother's uni. It seemed very powerful and different, even though I couldn't do much more play a few games on it. This is how I was introduced to *nix, maybe 12 years ago.
Few years later I installed Red Hat, Mandrake, etc, I thought they were all worthless. So I continued with Windows.
Some weeks ago I saw a presentation by Mark Shuttleworth and it convinced me to give Ubuntu a try. He talked about how easy they're making it for normal people, etc, etc. Two weeks ago I installed Ubuntu and liked it.
I use it on my PC.

feelshift
April 14th, 2009, 11:38 AM
The main reason was that I wanted to try something different. I saw an article in a magazine about Linux and I was impressed. That was in 2006 I think. Since then I've been dual-booting between various Linux distributions and Windows. In the summer of 2007 I heard about Ubuntu and decided to give it a try. I still test various distributions in VirtualBox :D

JohnFH
April 14th, 2009, 11:56 AM
I was fed up moving from one anti-virus solution to the next only to realise that they all slowed my machine down drastically or simlpy didn't do their job. In some cases it was both. On top of that I felt a bit sick at having to pay for it, not just once but every year.

Having said that, apart from the security and performance issues and the lack of freedom and the cost, I was happy with Windows.

hyperdude111
April 14th, 2009, 12:24 PM
OPHcrack - slax - ubuntu

Tambaqui
April 14th, 2009, 01:31 PM
Hey all!

Long time lurker, first-kinda time posting!

Kinda a newbie-ish!

I've just recently decided to convert to Linux by using Ubuntu last weekend because Microsoft saying I do not have a genuine copy of Microsoft Office was the final straw. It was made in 2003 and now they're asking me to buy it? 6 Years later!

I've never purchased any Windows products or anything, it was all received from friends via Tafe (Did IT course). First few years into XP was fine, now lately it getting ridiculous with updates on daily basis, gotta install stuff here and there, Service Packs, Firewall, Anti virus and stuff.

It is time Windows should admit their system are never secure.

Anyway got sick and tired of windows taking so long to load, errors and crashes here and there, when it becomes too much, and it comes to reinstalling, it is painstaking and annoying resetting and installing programs and things.

So last week was it, I am sticking with Ubuntu and not turning back! I've realised there are similar stuff in Linux that is similar to windows and there are applications and games that function just as well, if not, even better.

I intend to install Ubuntu on my new Netbook soon possibly, but my mums laptop will stay as windows incase I need to use it for things that only runs under Microsoft. But never again!

ice60
April 14th, 2009, 01:41 PM
i heard it would impress the ladies, i always make sure to tell them i'm using linux at the first opportunity.

will1911a1
April 14th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Support for the version of Windows I was using was ending and I didn't feel like buying XP. My father had been messing around with Ubuntu so I decided to experiment with it too.

That's what made me switch over completely to Linux. I had actually tried Redhat and FreeBSD years ago out of curiosity, but stuck with Windows.

CK05
April 14th, 2009, 01:46 PM
i heard it would impress the ladies, i always make sure to tell them i'm using linux at the first opportunity.

Yeah, ladies love linux! ;)

Daisuke_Aramaki
April 14th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Necessity. My first foray into *nix was when i had to do my Bachelor thesis in mathematical modeling. I had to use Solaris on Sparc machines then. Though it was intimidating in the beginning, it was a great experience. And when i got my first computer, I put Slackware on it.

khelben1979
April 14th, 2009, 02:46 PM
My first real interest of Linux started during the 90's when one of my brothers presented the operating system, and although I wasn't very impressed of it at the time as a gaming operating system, I was more than impressed of it's stability.

With all the Windows crashes I heard about (and I have experienced some myself too, of course) and from it's constant limitations, I began to be more and more interested in Linux as a possible replacement.

In 1999 I tested Linux the first time on the Amiga and from there on I have been more than convinced that this is the way to go. :popcorn:

indianajo
April 14th, 2009, 04:35 PM
My Windows xp got conflictor virus, started talking on the modem all the time without permission on 4/01/09. AVG antivirus didn't get rid of it. BBC.co.uk said that to get rid of conflictor, you had to download windows service pack 3. I did. microsoft gave me 30 days to authenticate or software dies. My computer repair shop had thrown win 98 box and disk away, I didn't have any 20 digit number, I don't have a win xp box or sticker. and I don't like microsoft having my name anyway. Modem started flickering 10 times on boot before I had control, probably was microsoft snooping. Looked up alternate web brousers on google, swiftfox came up, asked about op sys on their forum, they don't answer newbie questions. 2 day later I looked up operating systems on wikipedia, unbuntu got some nice words, and it said it was free and downloadable. Tried it, not to hard to changeover with gnome interface.

alket
April 14th, 2009, 04:43 PM
My uncle gave me a CD of Ubuntu in 2006 , but later I returned to windows, but due to viruses and interests to programming now I find Ubuntu unreplaceable OS.

bhoth
April 14th, 2009, 04:54 PM

Me Too!!

Methuselah
April 14th, 2009, 05:23 PM
I tried FreeBSD as far back as 4.8 (it's now 7) and later installed Ubuntu 6.10 server edition on that same old computer.
I was trying to get my wireless card to work under FreeBSD and couldn't.
I remember trying to use the linux driver under FreeBSD (there is software that allows that) but couldn't make progress.
Then, I thought, why not try linux?

Eventually, I was able to set up the wireless card in Ubuntu 6.10(a linksys WMP54Gv4 PCI card based on ralink rt2561S or something like that). I downloaded the firmware, copied it to the right place and edited the correct conf files.
I was not annoyed in the least; it was a learning experience for me and success had me dancing around the room.
Since I had chosen the command line only server edition (seemed closest to the FreeBSD install), I wondered how to get X and gnome.
I knew how to do it under FreeBSD (from source: cd /usr/ports/x11-wm/gnome; make install clean *or* pkg_add -r gnome) and learned that the Ubuntu equivalent was sudo apt-get install gnome-desktop.
Unfortunately, the little computer couldn't manage Gnome and I ended up wiping the install after that.
All this time, I was a relatively happy windows user (no viruses etc) on my main computer.

The turning point for me was sometime near to Vista's release when a power outage caused some corruption of my windows NTFS partition.
I could not locate the Xp installation disk so I thought I'd just buy one at the store...with Vista out it shouldn't be too expensive.
To my surprise, Vista was everywhere at the store, there was no sign of Xp at all.
I asked an employee about Xp and he went in the back, produced a copy, and quoted a price of almost $400 dollars.
There was Vista on display for $100! I left in disgust.
I didn't want Vista. I'd heard about its resource hogginess and my old 1Ghz PIII with 512MB RAM would have been brought to its knees.

Eventually I was able to get a startup disk from work to fix my system with chkdsk.
This was when I woke up to the fact that it's simply intolerable to have Microsoft controlling my computer and being on an upgrade treadmill.
I vowed to wean myself off windows permanently.

So I built a new computer with FreeBSD 7 in mind.
By this time, I could take a FreeBSD system from command line only to whatever desktop (xfce4) or WM (fvwm2) I wanted in my sleep; I felt comfortable with it.
However, despite my diligent harwdare research, there were things that just didn't work.
I was even looking into fixing some of these things.
I had figured out how to read my webcam's USB descriptors and wanted to learn how to get at the video data itself.
I only gave up when couldn't get my DVD burner to burn anything but platters; I absolutely needed it and I didn't have the time to take on anotehr project!
As a test, I got a USB bootable version of Slax and it burned CDs fine with K3B.

This is when I determined I probably had to use a linux distribution if I wanted a system I could work with quickly.
I had some resistance to the idea because I had a far better understanding of FreeBSD.
However, I had been following Ubuntu releases and already had disks of Feisty and Gutsy; Hardy was imminent.
I eventually wiped FreeBSD off the new computer and installed Hardy Heron.
ALL my hardware worked out of the box, even the logitech webcam.
IIRC, this was some time in 2008 and I haven't looked back since!

PS: Sorry for the long story but it was fun to revisit what got me here: a combination of curiosity and pragmatism.

stchman
April 14th, 2009, 05:25 PM
I am a computer tech junkie. I was always curious about Linux. I first tried Mandrake 9 back a few years ago.

Mandrake was good, but not enough to sway me.

I then heard a colleague talk about Ubuntu. I had purchased a laptop with Vista pre-installed and it royally sucked. Super slow and bloated was the best description I had. I tried Edgy Eft and I said WOW, this thing works and is really slick.

So Vista is teh reason I switched to Ubuntu.

Mark76
April 14th, 2009, 07:32 PM
It was 2005/06. I'd bought a second hand PC from an outfit that refurbished old computers and sold them off for around £200 a pop a few years earlier. It had a 4 gig hard drive, 256 Megs of RAM and Windows 98 SE installed. 98 was getting increasingly unstable and towards the end of its life so I sent off for a Breezy Badger installation CD from Cheeplinux.

I've no idea how I heard about Linux or Ubuntu.

ntowakbh
April 14th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Curiosity. I'd heard of it, and decided to look it up. It's kind of funny how terrified I was of it at the time of installation on a pre-prepared spare hard-drive partition that was blank with no chance of losing data. Then again, I was....either 13 or 14...probably closer to 14. And was just learning about computers. First distro was Ubuntu, and later I used Debian testing, now I've returned to Ubuntu.

dspari1
April 14th, 2009, 07:49 PM

Virus wiped out my hard drive with a possible key logger getting all of my information.

Vrekk
April 14th, 2009, 07:52 PM
My friend showed me Ubuntu auctally. I am a windows pro and he asked me if i could set him up with Linux and it got me looking. Found a couple distros that i just didnt know how to operate, and then my friend (same one) pointed me at Ubuntu. Tryed it and feel in love with it. Funny thing is that i truned out to me a more serious ubuntu user then him, and i just recealty got him back onto ubuntu with 9.04 supporting his wifi drivers better.

TheIdiotThatIsMe
April 14th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Honestly, I wanted something that felt more like "mine". I wanted something I could configure, rearrange, and change and mess with, without a ton of pay for extra applications. Now I use Ubuntu, with the global menu bar and Gnome-Do, and feel like for once I run my computer instead of learning how someone else though the computer should be run. I love it. A fine-tuning if you will :-)

Before I ever switched, I had already been using a lot of cross platform applications, without even knowing it. I used Pidgin, because I wanted a good, free, program that allowed me to connect to both AIM and Yahoo. I used VLC cause I loved it's simple interface. I used Abiword because it was light and easy.

So it made the switch very, very easy.

SomeGuyDude
April 14th, 2009, 08:14 PM
I'm adventurous and wanted to try it out. I hate it when I attempt to use something and can't make it work right, and I totally failed with Ubuntu Feisty (!#$^ wouldn't recognize my video card). Gutsy worked, so I used that in dual-boot for a little while, finally deciding to spend one solid week in Ubuntu without switching back. After a week went by and everything worked great, I uninstalled Windows entirely.

No idealism, no big "stick it to the man" stuff. I just wanted to try it and liked it.

cmay
April 14th, 2009, 09:28 PM
windowXP.
i got tired of the fact i had invested a lot of money (to me it was a lot) on a proff soundcard and some instruments and cubase /sonar and i could not have this work on windows.

i read that a well known sound and movie production studio started to use linux as early as 1990 i think it was so i got a magasine from the book store with a redhat 6.0 cd attached. ( it must been in the year 2005 i did this i think)

i tried to install it and i could not make this work. so i called a online shop that sells linux and bourght mandriva powerpack .

after a year of searching i found 64studio which works great as my soundstudio and much better than anything i ccould ever get done on windows. so i just trashed the windows xp install cd and all my cd wiht drivers and windows stuff. i had not been using it anyway for the whole time i was getting into learning linux anyway.

zakany
April 14th, 2009, 09:31 PM
what convinced you to try linux?

Price.

Yvan300
April 14th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Well i tried it because i was plagued with viruses. I mean for months, i had no viruses and then suddenly my av begins disabling all the time. And also curiousity played a part :)

calvinps
April 14th, 2009, 09:35 PM
First heard of ubuntu on BBC news webpage, but I never knew what it was.

It was about a couple of years ago anyway, but when I bought a secondhand computer, it came with Xandros (a crappy KDE desktop), and I didnt like it, so I put ******* 98 on it.

Then when I got my laptop, after a few months, i remembered the ubuntu article, and I thought I would get it.

I always installed it inside ******* at first, but ubuntu rulz my laptop now :D

Mark76
April 14th, 2009, 10:35 PM
windowXP.
i got tired of the fact i had invested a lot of money (to me it was a lot) on a proff soundcard and some instruments and cubase /sonar and i could not have this work on windows.

i read that a well known sound and movie production studio started to use linux as early as 1990

That would have been pretty impressive :lolflag:

oomingmak
April 14th, 2009, 10:45 PM
I didn't like the direction that Windows was taking in newer versions, and I could see that things were likely to only get worse.

I knew that my OS of choice (Windows 2000) would be phased out eventually, and when that time came I did not want to be thrown in at the deep end with a totally unfamiliar OS. I therefore started looking into alternatives (around the middle of 2006) so that I could be prepared.

I'm hoping I've got another 5 years of Windows 2000 usage before I am finally forced to switch to something else.

dragos240
April 14th, 2009, 11:37 PM
Well I got vista and 2 months into it, I wanted to look for alternatives, I knew what linux was, and I thought I would give it a fair shot, so eventually I found ubuntu, I installed wubi, and then I was in love, eventually I even got a new hard drive just for linux. I still have vista to this day, but havent used it in 10 months, and will never again.

RiceMonster
April 14th, 2009, 11:39 PM
I used red hat at school, and my friend had Gentoo with fluxbox on his laptop. I lied how customizable it was, and that fact that I wouldn't need to run an antivirus on it. So after a few months of beating around the bush, I installed it myself.

cmay
April 14th, 2009, 11:48 PM
That would have been pretty impressive :lolflag:

Edwin R. Leonard, CTO of Dreamworks Animation, won a special achievement award at the 2008 Annies for driving their innovative work with Open Source (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Source) Software and Linux (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux).[10] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DreamWorks#cite_note-9)

from wikipedia. i think it was 1999 they started using linux but am not sure.

dragos240
April 14th, 2009, 11:52 PM
Edwin R. Leonard, CTO of Dreamworks Animation, won a special achievement award at the 2008 Annies for driving their innovative work with Open Source (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Source) Software and Linux (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux).[10] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DreamWorks#cite_note-9)

from wikipedia. i think it was 1999 they started using linux but am not sure.

Dreamworks uses linux?!! Wow. Just wow. Even more of a reason linux is superior to windows!

ugriffin
April 14th, 2009, 11:55 PM
I always wanted to try Linux, but certain Windows only applications that don't even work in Wine or a Virtual machine kept me from jumping.
After I had my new Vista machine, it began slowing down hugely. Still, I wouldn't jump onto a Dual Boot. I didn't want to repartition my HD.

Hehehe... Wubi made me do the jump. Even though I'm still running Kubuntu in Wubi, I'm planning on migrating all my documents to my D drive and then splitting my Windows drive in half in order to make a EXT3 partition. I've just got to get the initiative and dust off the lazyness of moving about 30GB worth of data to D. But one of these days..... :guitar:

inobe
April 15th, 2009, 12:06 AM
what convinced you to try linux?

not knowing what it was and how it worked and if it was different.

example: opensuse 8.2 if i remember correctly, i tried to found the defrag tool and couldn't get my exe's to install.

0per4t0r
April 15th, 2009, 12:43 AM
I wanted to score higher on the geek quiz :D

No, actually I just heard of linux, and then I found an article entitled "easy linux installation with wubi, and since I'm such a noob, I installed Ubuntu with wubi. Also, some library in my grandparent's hometown used kubuntu.