PDA

View Full Version : Coffee or Tea

sekinto
April 14th, 2009, 03:34 AM
I love tea, the cheap stuff from grocery stores is kind of bitter (although still alright) but if you buy loose leaves and brew it yourself it is magnificent. I recently bought a small tea infuser and have been making different kinds of teas that I got from a tea store.

Personally I can't stand coffee, it is extremely bitter and doesn't have a good taste at all. The only time I ever drink it is when I reeaaaly need the caffeine.

Mokoma
April 14th, 2009, 03:35 AM
tea my dear boy!

swoll1980
April 14th, 2009, 03:36 AM
Eight O' Clock Bean FTW

CharmyBee
April 14th, 2009, 03:37 AM
Lacking time, making tea became teadious

i'm an addict of coffee though, sorry if I can't help my cold turkey :(

bashveank
April 14th, 2009, 03:38 AM
I love coffee, I try to try different beans whenever I can.
I want to try to get into tea, but good tea is just so expensive.

Personally I can't stand coffee, it is extremely bitter and doesn't have a good taste at all. The only time I ever drink it is when I reeaaaly need the caffeine.

Dude! Where are you having coffee? The only way it's bitter is if you burn your beans, overcook the coffee itself, or don't let the coffee sufficiently mix before pouring it.
/I'mfinishednow

WhiskyChris
April 14th, 2009, 03:46 AM
Before lunch it's tea, after it's coffee to keep me going till home time! Tea's definately my favourite though... mmm

jumpstreet
April 14th, 2009, 03:47 AM
Tea, all day every day

Therion
April 14th, 2009, 03:48 AM
Coffee in the morning, tea before bed.

Grant A.
April 14th, 2009, 03:49 AM
Water

Chemical Imbalance
April 14th, 2009, 03:49 AM
I can't pick...both!

I like coffee and tea in all their flavors: green tea, white tea, sweet-tea, Earl Grey, black coffee, mocha, etc...

I prefer my coffee black and my tea unsweetened to get the most natural flavor though.

swoll1980
April 14th, 2009, 03:53 AM

Dude! Where are you having coffee? The only way it's bitter is if you burn your beans, overcook the coffee itself, or don't let the coffee sufficiently mix before pouring it.
/I'mfinishednow

Or if you buy cheap nasty coffee beans. My coffee is not even close to being anything that could be confused, and mistakenly, described as something that could in any way resemble bitterness. Did that make sense?

justsomedude
April 14th, 2009, 03:53 AM
Coffee.

lisati
April 14th, 2009, 03:55 AM
Although I quite enjoy a well made cup of both - not at the same time :) - my usual choice is coffee (I can manage coffee without milk more easily than tea without milk, and being too lazy and/or too stingy to make sure there's milk in the house..... )

Corfy
April 14th, 2009, 04:31 AM
Tea definitely... I can't stand the smell or taste of coffee.

However, I should add that I prefer iced tea over hot tea. I never was much of a hot drink drinker. I'll drink hot chocolate and hot cider in the winter occasionally, but that is about it.

smbm
April 14th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Massive quantities of tea, all day every day.

Sephoroth
April 14th, 2009, 08:58 AM
Yarg...Are these served iced or hot?

Giant Speck
April 14th, 2009, 09:16 AM
I'm not really a fan of either of the two beverages.

In the rare occasion that I do drink coffee, I always add a scoop of hot cocoa mix to a cup of black coffee. In the even rarer occasion that I drink tea, I drink black tea with a little bit of honey and lemon.

Bakon Jarser
April 14th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Green tea with honey...or whiskey.

billgoldberg
April 14th, 2009, 09:37 AM
Dislike coffee and tea.

etnlIcarus
April 14th, 2009, 10:02 AM

Coffee shouldn't be, "extremely bitter". Either you've got super-sensitive tastebuds (which doesn't seem likely since you like tea), have had some sort of severe traumatic association with coffee or, the most likely explanation: you just drank some shite coffee.

The other factor is the first sip of coffee always tastes pretty awful. If you drink your coffee like I do (straight espresso w/ a side of 85% cocoa dark chocolate*), the key is to take one small sip; swish it around your mouth, then wait a good 60-90 seconds for your palette to adapt before continuing.

Also avoid crap like French Vanilla coffee beans. Anything flavoured is usually from an inferior crop and is bitter as all hell. The only thing most of your flavoured varieties are good for is lattes (which is crap anyway) or grinding finely and mixing through ice-cream.

*straight espresso and high-grade dark chocolate is really harsh on your stomach. Don't consume either unless you know you've got easy access to a toilet for at least an hour after consuming. It's very likely you'll need it.

I also enjoy my tea. Lady Grey is probably my favourite variety, although it's been a while since I've had a cup.

Chemical Imbalance
April 15th, 2009, 12:30 AM
Green tea with honey...or whiskey.

Ahh yes, forgot to mention that! (JD ftw)

dragos240
April 15th, 2009, 12:32 AM
They're both so awesome.

oldsoundguy
April 15th, 2009, 12:41 AM
Folks, ya need to visit the Pacific Northwest. There you can get a good to great cuppa on almost any street corner from a kiosk vendor. A good barista should serve a good cup or pack it up!!

That crap they serve in most restaurants would not even be used to clean the floors of a good coffee shop.

If it comes in a can, it sux, plain and simple!

I burr mill grind my own at home from my own blend of specifically chosen beans.

BUT .. I do enjoy green tea on occasion .. a good Earl Grey on a nasty day, and ICED TEA all summer long!

sports fan Matt
April 15th, 2009, 12:56 AM
Coffee..Dunkin has won me over

wolfen69
April 15th, 2009, 01:34 AM
Tea, all day every day

me too. i drink at least 6 cups of decaf tea a day. Tetley and various herbal teas. no coffee for me.

MikeTheC
April 15th, 2009, 01:59 AM
Coffee here for sure... Top personal favorites:

Tanzanian Peaberry
Organic high-grown Mexican
Brazil Santos
Guatemalan Antigua
Nicaragua Cup Of Excellence

pwnst*r
April 15th, 2009, 02:48 AM
coffee definitely, tea sometimes. yay for dark roasts + burr grinders.

RandomJoe
April 15th, 2009, 03:13 AM
I drink almost nothing but water now, but even before I switched I still didn't touch coffee or tea. Just have never liked the taste of either. (I was a serious Coca-Cola addict up 'til about 2000.)

However, I *LOVE* the smell of fresh coffee grounds, and the smell of brewing coffee! The smell of many teas is nice too.

I've always wondered why I never took to either one. Seems like everyone around me drinks one or the other, and certainly at get-togethers the one drink guaranteed to be there is iced tea.

|Mitch|
April 15th, 2009, 04:06 AM
I don't do iced tea very often, or any tea for that matter. I do love the Starbucks or PJs though.

Eviltechie
April 15th, 2009, 04:41 AM
Coffee tastes like crap, but smells good.

With all the tea lovers, we will need to make an alternate badge scheme.

chucky chuckaluck
April 15th, 2009, 04:43 AM
i grew up drinking tea, but my ex-wife (god rest her soul) converted me to coffee.

etnlIcarus
April 15th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Here's a question: anyone tried cat guano beans?

mr.propre
April 15th, 2009, 09:57 AM
99.9% of the time it's coffee.
Sometimes mint tea and preferable made by a Muslim from around the Mediterranean sea. For some strange reason they make the best mint tea I ever drank.

khelben1979
April 15th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Tea (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea). I dislike coffee (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee).

ks07
April 15th, 2009, 10:13 AM
I hate both, I never drink hot drinks. Although if I had to pick, it would be tea. Coffee tastes horrible it is too bitter. *Starts thinking of coffee revels*

etnlIcarus
April 15th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Tea (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea). I dislike coffee (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee).

Well thank god for your being here. I had NFI what this thread was about!

pwnst*r
April 15th, 2009, 12:01 PM

thanks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanks!) for (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/For) that (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/That)! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exclamation_mark)

samjh
April 15th, 2009, 12:02 PM
Depends. I like coffee in general, but I prefer iced tea, and don't like hot tea.

sekinto
April 15th, 2009, 10:44 PM
I hate both, I never drink hot drinks. Although if I had to pick, it would be tea. Coffee tastes horrible it is too bitter. *Starts thinking of coffee revels*

Iced coffee/tea?

NightwishFan
April 15th, 2009, 11:02 PM
I have always been fond of coffee. French roast coffee is excellent.

As for tea, I prefer green teas, although some people think I am crazy.

I voted coffee, though.

blueshiftoverwatch
April 15th, 2009, 11:53 PM
I'm not much of a coffee fan unless it's cappuccino, so I voted for tea.

Giant Speck
April 16th, 2009, 08:50 AM

[citation needed]

mcduck
April 16th, 2009, 09:13 AM
I like both. A lot. :D

Actually I'm right now trying to figure out if I should make myself some coffee, or white tea, or perhaps a nice cup of Ceylon FTGFOP1..

inobe
April 16th, 2009, 09:19 AM
coffee black, no sugar, by the buckets.

etnlIcarus
April 16th, 2009, 09:55 AM
coffee black, no sugar, by the buckets.

I want to have your babies ...were that possible.

Penguin Guy
April 16th, 2009, 10:05 AM
Coffee obviously, this is what's called a rhetorical question.

etnlIcarus
May 12th, 2009, 01:37 PM
*Bump*

Every night for about the last week I've downed four short blacks with lady fingers, 85% cocoa bitter chocolate and vanilla ice cream.

My digestive system is making some less than inspiring noises and I think I'm getting an ulcer on my tongue but I've never felt so good. All you coffee haters are missing out on the best legal high out there. Man up and brew some coffee!

VCoolio
May 12th, 2009, 01:52 PM
This is more like my cup of tea:

http://img2.imageshack.us/img2/9922/ga871201.gif

Gucko
May 12th, 2009, 01:57 PM

/I'mfinishednow

Lipton is great and not so expensive, don't you think?

subdivision
May 12th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Coffee.

Kevbert
May 12th, 2009, 02:11 PM
I'm English, so it has to be a good cup of tea !

sports fan Matt
May 12th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Again Coffee, but the prices at least here in the states have gotten extremely expensive, espically for Starbucks everyday. Id do dunkin over starbucks though

emeraldgirl08
May 12th, 2009, 03:26 PM
I've never been much of a coffee drinker. Late night cram sessions or no availability of any other caffeinated products will get me to drink coffee. Don't know if Frappucinos would count but those are my weakness these days :)

Overall tho I prefer tea.

HappyFeet
May 20th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Only tea for me, and only decaf, as I don't enjoy caffiene. I can drink any kind and enjoy it.

Tetley bags

Salada green tea (flavored ones)

Herbal teas

kaivalagi
May 20th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Coffee in the morning to wake up
Tea in the afternoon if more serious caffeine isn't required :)

Muffinabus
May 20th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Coffee. I've never really had tea, I can see myself enjoying it, however. I don't drink it for the caffeine though, I don't notice the effects of caffeine. I also drink LOTS of Coke, preferably Vanilla Coke.

Muffinabus
May 20th, 2009, 08:22 PM
Woops, double posted! O_O

rcayea
May 20th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Coffee all the way! As much coffee as possible in one day. For the sake of it, I will say I prefer Tim Hortons Coffee and McDonalds Coffee as my two favorites.

adrianx
May 20th, 2009, 10:16 PM
At least 6 cups of tea and 3 cups of coffee every day.

I don't think caffeine affects everybody in the same way. Sometimes, I have coffee just before going to bed. Someone I know, has to have his last cup before 4 pm or else he can't sleep. Oh, and the only place that I have ever seen a coffee "high", is in the movies! :D

gregorio
May 21st, 2009, 03:03 AM
Earl Grey - hot
make it so

mamamia88
May 21st, 2009, 03:11 AM
thats tough. i like coffee in the morning and i love those iced frapuchinos. but on a summer afternoon nothing beats one of those cold arizona teas

monsterstack
May 21st, 2009, 03:13 AM
I'm used to getting my tea in 1000-bag sacks with "generic tea" written on it. When I went to America I was disheartened to find most grocery shops stocking tea in boxes of about twenty bags with all sorts of mad flavours. Still coffee is usually the drink of choice in America, so it's understandable.

Generic tea (that's English Breakfast Tea for you yanks), or Earl Grey for me. Yes. Good stuff. Coffee is good too, so long as it's hot, black, and without sugar.

t0p
May 21st, 2009, 04:01 AM
I like tea, it's a refreshing, thirst-quenching beverage. I'm a Brit, so I take it with milk and sugar. Lovely!

But coffee is my fave. Whether it's instant Nescafe granules or a nice latte at the local java joint, I can't get enough of it. This isn't a caffeine thing though. Contrary to popular belief, tea contains a lot of caffeine. A whole bunch of tannin too.

But there is a great tea that has zero caffeine. It's green and it makes everything soft and smiley. Can you guess what tea I mean? :p

Mason Whitaker
May 21st, 2009, 04:26 AM
Cup of Tea in the morning and I'm good to go!

I have my own section of my family's pantry dedicated to assorted teas and dried tea leaves in jars :D

etnlIcarus
May 21st, 2009, 04:33 AM
Coffee. I've never really had tea, I can see myself enjoying it, however. I don't drink it for the caffeine though, I don't notice the effects of caffeine. I also drink LOTS of Coke, preferably Vanilla Coke.If you drink lots of coke, you're going to have a constant caffeine fix in your system, thus you're not going to notice caffeine from coffee until you consume coffee in comatose-causing proportions.

I grew up drinking cola almost exclusively (how I'm not diabetic, I don't know) and even though I can't stand most cola these days, I still don't notice the effects of caffeine until I reach the point of medically defined acute caffeine overdose (which is awesome, BTW). If I'm lacking caffeine, however, I can't avoid noticing it.

Earl Grey - hot
make it soThe only thing that could have made Picard more awesome was if he drank Lady Grey.

Also, got an, "Espresso Pronto", long black from Maccas this morning (rarely eat at McDonalds'). Wasn't great but wasn't as bad as I was expecting. Hell of a lot more acidic than the stuff I make at home, though.

NightwishFan
May 22nd, 2009, 07:09 PM
There are very odd flavors of tea that are common. I prefer very generic teas.

HappyFeet
May 22nd, 2009, 07:39 PM
Contrary to popular belief, tea contains a lot of caffeine. A whole bunch of tannin too.

A typical teabag contains 40mg. or less of caffiene and a cup (10oz.) of coffee contains about 100mg. I wouldn't call 40mg. a lot. However, I only drink decaf, so it doesn't matter to me.

pat23_2007
May 22nd, 2009, 07:50 PM
I prefer Tea, but I do drink Coffee from time to time.

I love loss leaf tea's :p

Changturkey
May 22nd, 2009, 08:41 PM
I like both, but I drink Tea a lot more.

etnlIcarus
June 22nd, 2009, 12:25 PM
Copypasta:

I managed to use my espresso machine without it spewing hot coffee ground all over the kitchen. :coolduck:
To be safe, I covered it in 3 towels and wrapped a towel around my hand as well. It looked like an explosive Afghani.

Was good coffee. Well worth the potential disfiguring scolding.

NWAdawg
June 22nd, 2009, 12:31 PM
coffee, got a cup in hand every waking moment.

dragos240
June 22nd, 2009, 12:33 PM
Tea right now. Sore throat.

ohbuntu
June 22nd, 2009, 02:54 PM
Properly brewed coffee any day!

Of course, I'd rather have tea than that hopeless crap coffee that Starbucks and a lot of other chains dish out.

geekygirl
June 22nd, 2009, 03:24 PM
Definitely coffee for me - I don't function too well in the AM without it lol (I never answer an email for work related purposes until I have had my coffee - likely to get it all wrong LOL)

No instant coffee though, fresh brewed from the local coffee shop, or when I am at home made myself with my espresso machine :D

Sxeptomaniac
June 22nd, 2009, 03:31 PM
I have to start out the day with a large cup of Irish Breakfast Tea, myself.

Sublime Porte
June 22nd, 2009, 04:00 PM
http://www.coffeebrk.com/images/almeedcoffee.jpg

This stuff ---^

Lovely fresh authentic Arabic coffee with cardamon seed, nothing like it.

Tipped OuT
June 22nd, 2009, 04:01 PM
I'm only 15, so I prefer Tea, no need for the Coffee at the moment. Tea is just soothing and relaxing for me.

etnlIcarus
June 22nd, 2009, 04:20 PM
I'm only 15, so I prefer Tea, no need for the Coffee at the moment. Tea is just soothing and relaxing for me.

Wait until you lose that youthful exuberance and you need something to go you through the day.

Lord, I'm only 21 and already past it...

(Actually, teenagers probably need coffee more than adults do).

Kazade
June 22nd, 2009, 04:29 PM
Tea. A nice cup of English Breakfast, my good man.

tashirosgt
June 22nd, 2009, 04:34 PM
Hot tea or ice tea? Or do tea snobs even count ice tea as tea? I prefer hot coffee to hot tea. I prefer ice tea to ice coffee. This assumes both kinds of coffee have a big helping of "half and half" added and that the tea does not have cream. Given that, I like them all.

Chemical Imbalance
June 22nd, 2009, 10:11 PM
I've just been brewing white tea and green tea lately and then setting it in the fridge to chill.
I never add anything like sugar.
I like my tea and coffee plain.

HappyFeet
June 22nd, 2009, 10:46 PM
Wait until you lose that youthful exuberance and you need something to go you through the day.

Lord, I'm only 21 and already past it...

(Actually, teenagers probably need coffee more than adults do).

The thing is, if you don't drink coffee, you don't need it. It is because you are addicted to caffiene, that you need it. If you are not addicted, you will function just fine without it. I gave up caffiene years ago and don't miss it.

koleoptero
June 22nd, 2009, 11:10 PM
Coffee in the morning, tea in the afternoon.

Dharmachakra
June 22nd, 2009, 11:24 PM
The real question is this: who is man enough to press their coffee?

Pogeymanz
June 22nd, 2009, 11:24 PM
I prefer coffee.

I started drinking coffee when I was 15 years old. Damn that high school for starting at 7:30AM!

Caffeine has a very sharp addiction curve. If you don't drink any coffee for ~3 days, you are totally over it, but you also get addicted just as quickly.

I enjoy my late afternoon pick-me-up. I even look forward to it now. It's like a prize for making it through most of the day.

Bachstelze
June 22nd, 2009, 11:35 PM
Neither. Chocolate milk ftw!

etnlIcarus
June 23rd, 2009, 03:47 AM
The thing is, if you don't drink coffee, you don't need it. It is because you are addicted to caffiene, that you need it. If you are not addicted, you will function just fine without it. I gave up caffiene years ago and don't miss it.

No, it's because caffeine is a stimulant (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stimulant). It's got nothing to do with addiction.

Admittedly mine is a special case but I've gone 5 months without coffee, tea, chocolate, cola and energy drinks: far past the initial withdrawal and **** doesn't get better with time.

MikeTheC
June 23rd, 2009, 04:01 AM

Yunnan Bo Nay is one of the absolute most soothing teas I've ever had. The effect it has on the digestive system is amazing, actually.

aufan19
June 23rd, 2009, 04:25 AM
I prefer tea. I've actually got some green tea brewing right now. I've never liked the taste of coffee that much, but I drink an espresso or mocha from Starbucks once in a while.

venator260
June 23rd, 2009, 04:53 AM
Coffee, strong with a bit of cream. Hopefully with a good cigar.

konnorrigby
June 23rd, 2009, 06:23 AM
I lyke both. um i lyke arazona iced tee bes though.

NightwishFan
June 23rd, 2009, 06:06 PM
Chocolate milk is actually pretty good. I like it better than Gatorade if I do some exercise. Coffee and Tea not so great for that.