Hello all,

I recently upgraded from 8.04 to 8.10. Here is my system information:

Mobo: Striker Extreme
CPU: Intel Q6600
Ram: 2 GB
Video: 2x Nvidia 8600 GT
Monitor: Plug & Play: Westinghouse 20.1"

Situation:

I updated my system before running the upgrade. I let the update manager do it's thing. I came back and it had trouble writing some "tmp" files. I had this issue on another computer that it worked on, so I agreed and didn't record the info (stupid).

It failed about 25% through installing the upgrade. I tried to get into the apt-get gui windows and through terminals without luck.

Mistake number two, I rebooted. I had several disk write errors and I had to run fsck several times.

When it rebooted again, I logged in and started finishing the upgrade by running the apt-get program again. I installed everything. I have no packages left to install. I reinstalled compiz, nvidia-glx-new, gdm, ubuntu-desktop, xdm (i don't use it), etc. I even uninstalled the nvidia 177 drivers and installed the 180. No luck.

I have no GUI! LOL. I have all my terminals and no F7 :(

If anybody is willing to help me troubleshoot this, I'd be most grateful! I'll provide any output you guys need to help me on this endeavor.

Thanks,

Ken

I'm sorry that I fixed this before anybody could help. I know that some of you like a good puzzle, like me. Too bad I cheated by using the internet for ways to fix X11. My results are below. Please go to this link so you know the background for what I did to my computer: Here (http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090111005211AA5zQwq)

Please, understand that I have two video cards. The problem I ran into was the fact that my xorg.conf file didn't have a Busid associated with the Section "Device". Here is what my final xorg.conf file looked like, pay close attention to the Section "Device" area.

# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig: version 1.0 (buildmeister@builder58) Wed Nov 26 11:21:13 PST 2008

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Layout0"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "dbe"
Load "extmod"
Load "type1"
Load "freetype"
Load "glx"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "auto"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Unknown"
ModelName "Unknown"
HorizSync 28.0 - 33.0
VertRefresh 43.0 - 72.0
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Device0"
Busid "PCI:1:0:0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Device0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection
Cheers, as always.

Ken

kennyrogersjr
April 13th, 2009, 11:52 PM
heh. I have no xorg.conf file :) Let me attempt making one right quick and I'll post my results.

Ken

kennyrogersjr
April 14th, 2009, 12:55 AM
Disregard. I did have a xorg.conf file. I mistyped and wrote xconf.org ;p

I'm back at where I was.

Ken

kennyrogersjr
April 14th, 2009, 01:12 AM
OK. So here is the only failpoint I see on bootup:

* Activating swapfile swap... [ OK ]
$Mounting securityfs on /sys/kernel/security:done.
Loading AppArmor profiles /sbin/apparmor_parser: Unable to add "/usr/share/gdm/guest-session/Xsession". Profile version not supported by Apparmor module
Profile /etc/apparmor.d/gdm-guest-session failed to load
/sbin/apparmor_parser: Unable to add "/usr/lib/cups/backend/cups-pdf". Profile version not supported by Apparmor module
Profile /etc/apparmor.d/usr.sbin.cupsd failed to load
: Failed

Further down it has no trouble starting GNOME Display Manager.
Further down from that, it chooses not to start the X display manager because it isn't the default. As I said above, I installed that thinking it would have helped.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Ken

kennyrogersjr
April 14th, 2009, 02:22 AM
Update:

I do notice screen "blinking" as if something is trying to graphically start, if you get what I mean. I'm using the nvidia-glx-180 drivers from the repositories. I didn't have a configured xorg.conf file before, I used the command sudo nvidia-xconfig to automagically configure the xorg.conf file.

I have typed "sudo /etc/init.d/gdm [stop|start]" so many times, I'm probably going to have nightmares about it tonight.

However, hopefully somebody has some suggestions for me so I can get this fixed, that way I can have a smile on my face when I'm having the nightmare. :)

Ken

grathinam
July 12th, 2010, 03:37 AM
Ken,

Did you find a reosluton to this, am in the same situation, i tried upgrading everything went okay, but after reboot I don't get GUI anymore, only command line any ideas how to get my GUI back

Thanks in advance