PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] instlling and bringing up Ubuntu for the first time

bubbave3
April 13th, 2009, 11:27 PM
Hi everyone
l have dloaded and made a cd with Ubuntu 8.10. l have intalled the software where it has done the checksum stuff and finally asked me to remove any cd to reboot the puter. l did that and the puter booted back into windows. l do not know how to get to Ubuntu. Please note this is my fist experience with Linux and or ubuntu.
This puter l am installing to is a Emachine with windowsME witha 700 mrg processor and 256 mg of Ram.
l am very close to seeing whatUbuntu looks like. it is my hope that witha response or two, l will be having my first ever view of Ubuntu

Thanks... Pierre

snowpine
April 13th, 2009, 11:33 PM
Hello Pierre,
You need to enter your computer's bios menu and change the boot options.

When you first turn on the computer, it should tell you which key to press for the bios menu. It is usually something like F2, F12, etc. Go to the page with the boot options, and change the boot order so that the CD drive is the first device on the list. Save your changes and reboot. Sorry I can't give more specific directions, but it varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.

Also if you have access to another computer, try booting that with the Ubuntu CD. This will tell you whether the problem is with the CD or the computer. (Or both!:))