PDA

View Full Version : I got a netbook!

dragos240
April 13th, 2009, 09:13 PM
So, this is awesome, but really hard to type with. Anyways, it came with windose. It doesn't have a cd drive, but it does have 2 usb slots, and an ethernet cord. I really want to install ubuntu on here, it's an eee machine. Would ubuntu work on here? Please get back to me :),

Sinserelly,
Dragos240,

PS: It's so hard to type, seriously!:mad:
PSS: I don't have a usb stick with me, and I would like easy peasy on my eee, It can netboot. How to I do this?

Daisuke_Aramaki
April 13th, 2009, 09:19 PM
So, this is awesome, but really hard to type with. Anyways, it came with windose. It doesn't have a cd drive, but it does have 2 usb slots, and an ethernet cord. I really want to install ubuntu on here, it's an eee machine. Would ubuntu work on here? Please get back to me :),

Sinserelly,
Dragos240,

what model did you get?

tom66
April 13th, 2009, 09:20 PM
Ubuntu should work on the EeePC. Asus have good Linux support, 'specially since EeePCs sometimes come with Xandros, a Linux distro.

ugm6hr
April 13th, 2009, 09:22 PM
There are 2 separate Eee specific versions of Ubuntu.

They both install from USB, and are currently 8.10-based.

I think they are eeebuntu and ubuntu-eee (or something like that). One of them has been renamed to EasyPeasy (for tradmark reasons).

Godly
April 13th, 2009, 09:24 PM

Sinserelly,
Dragos240,

PSS: I don't have a usb stick with me, and I would like easy peasy on my eee, It can netboot. How to I do this?

There is a post on how to do this.

dragos240
April 13th, 2009, 09:34 PM
There is a post on how to do this.

Please direct me to this...

JECHO
April 13th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Please direct me to this...

i have jaunty on my eee and everything worked out of the box. id recommend using it instead of easy peezy or eeebuntu just because its a full installation with nothing left out :)

speedwell68
April 13th, 2009, 09:55 PM
Ubuntu Netbook Remix FTW.:D

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UNR

MysticGold04
April 13th, 2009, 09:56 PM
I used to have an Eee 1000HA but sold it cuz I couldn't deal with the keyboard. It was a great system and I had 8.10 running on it.

dragos240
April 13th, 2009, 10:27 PM
Yeah, I feel ya. The keyboard is way too small. Oh well :p

LowSky
April 13th, 2009, 10:29 PM
My Netbook is running 8.10 Ubuntu just fine. I just edited the desktop to work more efficiently

albinootje
April 14th, 2009, 12:09 AM
Yeah, I feel ya. The keyboard is way too small. Oh well :p

Buy a foldable external usb keyboard for it :-)

zekopeko
April 14th, 2009, 12:14 AM
I used to have an Eee 1000HA but sold it cuz I couldn't deal with the keyboard. It was a great system and I had 8.10 running on it.

i guess that depends on the size of your fingers. i needed 10 minutes to adjust to the Eee pc 1000HG keyboard. the only thing that was awkward was the placement and size of some of the "special keys" , namely shift,ctrl and the numbers row.

Old_Grey_Wolf
April 14th, 2009, 12:35 AM
What EeePC model? Does it have a Hard Drive or a Solid State Disk (SSD)? It makes a difference; because, the swap partition can lessen the life of an SSD. Therefore, with an SSD you may what to use one of the Remix versions or a special kernel for the EeePC.

dragos240
April 14th, 2009, 12:40 AM
How would I find the model....?

Old_Grey_Wolf
April 14th, 2009, 12:53 AM
How would I find the model....?

It should be on a sticker on the bottom of the EeePC. You could also look at the System Information in XP.

Edit: I will be logging off soon, time to go to sleep.

RandomJoe
April 14th, 2009, 02:48 AM
I also installed the standard Ubuntu distro (9.04 beta) on my Eee, used a USB CD drive, worked just fine right out of the gate. In fact, I still haven't plugged an Ethernet cord into it, the wireless has worked perfectly from the first attempt - which is rather a record for me with laptops! :p

I have the 10" model (1000HE) with 160GB HDD, so it has the room. I also was more interested in a tiny laptop than I was a "netbook" - I still want to do everything I do on a regular computer. And this thing does, the Atom processor sure is nice... (Okay, so I don't play high-graphics games or anything!) The 6-8 hour runtimes are nice too - another reason I chose this model.

I don't have much trouble with the keyboard, I've always preferred slightly compressed keyboards anyway. The Eee is a bit more compressed than I'd ideally like, but still quite usable. Several people at my office did have trouble with it, just because their hands/fingers were larger.

I-75
April 14th, 2009, 02:53 AM
Easy Peasy rocks! Everything works "out of the box"

Yownanymous
April 14th, 2009, 03:53 AM
Xandros, a Linux distro.

Yes, their attempt to make it XP-like even incorporates folder access! :P

gletob
April 14th, 2009, 03:54 AM
Install ubuntu:
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/ubuntu-810-install-using-the-built-in-usb-installer/

then

sudo apt-get install eee-applet