PDA

View Full Version : POLL: Why are you still running Windows

lorenco
January 4th, 2006, 05:25 PM
Another Quick Poll to followup on the +- 50% of people that are still Dual Booting.

earobinson
January 4th, 2006, 05:32 PM
looking forward to seeing the answers.... to bad I cant vote... I love polls

PatrickMay16
January 4th, 2006, 05:32 PM
I use Ubuntu 99.9% of the time. Though I haven't gotten rid of windows because of the way things are; you simply cannot afford to. Some rare hardware (like my GBA flash cart cable) doesn't have support for anything other than windows. And other services are windows exclusive. To get rid of windows entirely would lock me out of a lot of different things.
So, I keep windows to broaden my scope. Though these days I barely use it. I think the last time I booted into Windows was some time in November.

lorenco
January 4th, 2006, 05:40 PM
looking forward to seeing the answers.... to bad I cant vote... I love polls

I wanted to add the section "I don't use Windows" but I chose too little options, sorry

Poll result : "I don't use Windows : 1" :D

bored2k
January 4th, 2006, 06:59 PM
None of the answers. I just have it.

xequence
January 4th, 2006, 07:02 PM
Because I download alot and need the most space free I can on my small hard drive. I cant delete windows since I need it for alot of things (UT, MP3 Player, etc).

chimera
January 4th, 2006, 07:06 PM
I'm not running windows, LOL

ember
January 4th, 2006, 07:13 PM
Well - I have a windows license and there are some programs I am just used to and for which I have not found a Linux replacement (e.g. ExactAudioCopy). So I do not see a reason to delete windows.

MartinJ
January 4th, 2006, 08:32 PM
The only reason I've kept Windows is for the Football Manager 2006 game. Unfortunately Wine and FM06 don't get on very well together.

Koobi
January 4th, 2006, 08:35 PM
i'm about to install windows one of these days just so that i can play my favourite game of all time: Need For Speed Porsche Unleashed :D
unfortunately my PC is too slow for an emulator such as Wine/x

eriqk
January 5th, 2006, 11:40 AM
None of the above. I use it for specific audio and video programs (and I'm currently still testing Ubuntu). Until those are ported, Windows isn't going to disappear from my HDD.

Groet, Erik

TeeAhr1
January 5th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Civilization 4. That's it.

Which kinda sucks, actually. I got the pre-release version of Civ4, I was hugely excited about it, it does utterly r00l, but I never play it, because I installed Ubuntu the very next week, and now I don't want to boot to Windows!

awakatanka
January 5th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Hardware, Software that has no counterpart on linux desktop, and in some degree games because cedega sucks and cost as much as a windows copy and doesn't support as much as windows. Native games is no option because not many games styles are supported. And i mostly get a game as present and they buy windows games but if i buy i try to buy native. ( thats 1 our 2 games a year ;) )

drogoh
January 5th, 2006, 01:31 PM
Like I said to someone who was shocked to realize I ran Windows on one computer:

"Well I DID buy it for games."

nocturn
January 5th, 2006, 01:47 PM
You forgot one option.

[] To experience the full joy of the WMF exploit and the long wait for the patch.

Hell, life with Linux is just boring ;-)

Disclaimer: all my personal systems are 100% Linux

awakatanka
January 5th, 2006, 02:02 PM
You forgot one option.

[] To experience the full joy of the WMF exploit and the long wait for the patch.

Hell, life with Linux is just boring ;-)

Disclaimer: all my personal systems are 100% Linux
When those severs of debian where hacked the exploit was already known for 2 months, but after the hack on debian servers there was a patch.

Linux also has his share of long waits sometimes.

cvcaelen
January 5th, 2006, 02:09 PM
If there were an option "missing equivalent for linux"
I would have voted that:)

As soon I can find a replacement for:
*dwf-viewer (for AutoCad drawings)
*OziExplorer or EasyGps or Gartrax or Gsak
*Magellan streets

Then I'll be 100% Linux

Qemu is a "to do" thing on my list, but that wouldn'd count as being win-free

Christiaan

qalimas
January 5th, 2006, 02:09 PM
I wanted to add the section "I don't use Windows" but I chose too little options, sorry

Poll result : "I don't use Windows : 1" :D

New result:
Poll result : "I don't use Windows : 2"

:D

lgmdaniel
January 5th, 2006, 02:10 PM
I spend a lot of time working with windows PC's, software and devices. I mainly need it for reference, so at the moment everything is slowly being ported over. But not until I get network printing working fully, and thats when I get time to sort it all.

imagine
January 5th, 2006, 07:40 PM
Hmm none of the answers.

I use Windows 2000 on my main PC because I like it and I know it. No point in dumping it.
Then why did I bother installing another operating system? Because I also like competition and the support for Windows 2000 runs out soon and its successors come with a so called product activation, which is unacceptable to me. Not because any data would be sent to Microsoft, but because it's a pure sign of arbitrariness: "We can force our customers to do whatever we like to". You don't.

rickyjones
January 5th, 2006, 07:59 PM
I still run Windows on several computer for a few reasons.

1) I like to play games from time to time, and the game support just isn't in Linux.
2) I support business client. As a computer consultant, I need to be able to immediately recognize and replicate issues. I need to walk clients through troubleshooting, etc... I use whatever tool necessary to get this done. Sometimes this means Office 2k3 on Windows. Sometimes this means ssh-ing into their linux server. :)
3) A printer here in the office does not have Linux support... However, my main laser printer (an HP 4ML) works flawlessly... :)

-Richard

Pekkalainen
January 5th, 2006, 07:59 PM
I keep windows 2000 on a small partition because my internet bank refuses to function with anything else but windows and IE :mad:

But I will change banks soon to a bank that officially supports *nix and windows will fly out the window (uhuhuhu).

donjuan
January 6th, 2006, 12:53 AM
Games and a few other apps. I don't feel like paying for Cedega and sometimes there are things I need that just don't run on Linux. I recently switched my dad to Kubuntu but Windows is still on all his computers because he needs things like Office 2k3, Quicken, Quickbooks, and Turbo Tax.

davebgimp
January 6th, 2006, 01:09 AM
Games are the only reason I still dual-boot. I'd love to kick MS to the curb, but the game junkie in me refuses. Other than this, I have zero use for Windows.

noco37
January 6th, 2006, 02:04 AM
A few reasons why I keep Winderz running.

1) Some of my clients have sites that only support IE.
2) I am not familiar with linux enough to use it for all of my work.

....and I like to have the option to use it. I like Ubuntu because now I don't have to use windows, now I use it when I choose to. For me it's the same as when people ask why I keep fixing my C64 instead of using an emulator. My answer is, "because I can."

I don't hate Windows, I hate a lack of choice. (I know... "it's the same thing")

fourchannel
January 11th, 2006, 08:16 AM
i'm about to install windows one of these days just so that i can play my favourite game of all time: Need For Speed Porsche Unleashed :D
unfortunately my PC is too slow for an emulator such as Wine/x
Hells ya! NFS:PE is the only NFS worth playing, imo. Love it to death.

it's one of the reason why I still have XP.