PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Bash command for Maximizing and Unmaximizing windows in gnome?

carlosandcamy
April 13th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Hello,

Does anyone know the bash command to Maximize and Unmaximize windows in the gnome desktop environment?

I want to designate my upper right corner of my touchpad to Maximize and Unmaximize windows. I found the synaptics driver command to activate the upper right corner of the touchpad. I am hoping that I can somehow tie an event to the RTCornerButton button option in the xorg.conf file.

According to what I found on the internet that command has 12 possible options, the first three just emulate a left, right, or middle button cliks. The remainder of the options don't do anything that is obvious to me. I am hoping I can designate the 4th option in the RTCornerButton to bash a command to maximize or unmaximize a window.

Thanks in advance for any kind of help,

Carlos

crazy ivan
February 12th, 2011, 10:28 PM
I would be bolder and ask this question for X in general..

I've been fiddling around with

xdotool
xprop
wmctrl

but no luck! I need this feature badly, because else maximus makes windows unusable, when I switch it off.

When trying xdotool, windows will receive alt+F5, but just interpret it as keys.. Window commands are ignored. Xprop returns

xprop -id 0x200007
X Error of failed request: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
Major opcode of failed request: 21 (X_ListProperties)
Resource id in failed request: 0x200007
Serial number of failed request: 11
Current serial number in output stream: 11

for any window. And wmctrl seems to be lacking such features.

I know it can be acessed via the window class for GNOME http://library.gnome.org/devel/gtk/unstable/GtkWindow.html http://www.pygtk.org/docs/pygtk/class-gtkwindow.html. BUt there ought to be some command line way to do it.

mcduck
February 12th, 2011, 10:46 PM
wmctrl is the tool you are looking for... :)

http://linux.die.net/man/1/wmctrl

Krytarik
February 13th, 2011, 08:27 AM
Specifically he will mean a command like this:

wmctrl -i -r 0x200007 -b toggle,maximized_vert,maximized_horz
Of course you would have to determine the id before, I recommend "xwininfo" for that:

winid=`xwininfo -name NAME |grep 'Window id:' |cut -d" " -f4`
wmctrl -i -a "$winid"

Or use its name instead with wmctrl, but that only works correct if there is no other window which also contains the string in its name, wmctrl doesn't even handle the case.

I had to do the upper workaround for MPlayer and mplayerTV. ;-)

stinkeye
February 13th, 2011, 10:12 AM
To toggle the focused window maximized/unmaximized...

wmctrl -r :ACTIVE: -b toggle,maximized_vert,maximized_horz
...and I find the best way to use it is with easystroke mouse gestures
because performing the gesture on a window brings it into focus.

crazy ivan
February 15th, 2011, 09:51 PM
Thanks guys, that's pretty cool stuff, even though the search function is better implemented in xdotool. Thanks for the cut code.

I used "wmctrl -k" to show the desktop in another script, never thought to go further. Anyhow, my problems with maximus have been somewhat sorted out since I found the gconf entries

"/apps/maximus/undecorate" to work with it on dual screens and

"/apps/metacity/window_keybindings/toggle_fullscreen" and

"/apps/metacity/window_keybindings/toggle_maximized"

to repair the "damage" it has done to some apps (guess calling these shortcuts amounts to calling wmctrl).

Bound "toggle_maximzed" to "<Super>F5" and "toggle_fullscreen" to "<Super>F11" now, and thus rescued mozilla thunderbird and Openoffice out of unintended fullscreen created by maximus.

crazy ivan
March 12th, 2011, 05:21 PM
Thanks again Krytarik and stinkeye. With these commands, I managed to write a little script that shows the time in a notification box, disabling the fullscreen of mypaint which usually runs as a notepad on my tablet's screen blocking the notifications:

#!/bin/sh
date_time="`date | cut -d' ' -f1,2,3,4`"
wmctrl -r MyPaint -b remove,fullscreen
notify-send "$date_time"
sleep 5
wmctrl -r MyPaint -b add,fullscreen

Not quite perefect, since it does not hide the menu, as it does when I press F11. Don't think wmctrl can acess this property though..

Also I added "wmctrl -r :ACTIVE: -b toggle,maximized_vert,maximized_horz" and "wmctrl -r :ACTIVE: -b toggle,fullscreen" to easystroke gestures :)

Krytarik
March 13th, 2011, 12:32 AM
You could also simply pass the option "-u critical" to notify-send to show the notification even while in fullscreen. :p

notify-send -u critical "`date | cut -d' ' -f1,2,3,4`"

crazy ivan
March 14th, 2011, 04:01 AM
thx! works even better.. :D

crazy ivan
March 18th, 2011, 07:08 PM
And thanks for the

line. I ran into

wmctrl -r -c NAME
not shutting down the programs at all **.

Now I use

wmctrl -i -c "$winid"
for most programs..
For some I had to try harder and got the line (with the modification "wminfo -root -tree" it is somewhat similar to "ps aux" for WIDs instead of PIDs)

xwininfo -root -tree 2>/dev/null | grep NAME | awk '{print $1}'

from chewearn http://blog.chewearn.com/2010/01/18/find-window-id-of-a-process-id-in-bash-script/. Now I can also make gedit, eclipse, inkscape and referencer ask me if I want to save before quitting trough the command line:

$app=" gedit"
wmctrl -i -c `xwininfo -root -tree 2>/dev/null | grep "$app" | awk '{print $1}'`

Note the odd " gedit" string to distinguish it from the parent processes.

** By the way, can one get any output from that wmctrl.. I mean they have "-v Provide verbose output. This is really useful when debugging wmctrl itself." which does nothing. Its somehow unsatisfying that it does not show any response to wrong input...

Krytarik
March 19th, 2011, 03:28 AM
LOL:p The correct command would be like this, without the "-r" option:

wmctrl -c gedit
And yes, I also don't get any error messages from wmctrl, in fact somewhat annoying!