PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Replacing Windows

Chewie8291
April 13th, 2009, 07:02 PM
I have had enough of Windows and just downloaded Ubuntu to a disk. I want to completely re-write my hard drive and remove anything windows. Will the Ubuntu CD prompt this in the startup? I don't want to dual boot or anything. It will force me to learn Linux if I do it this way.

RedSingularity
April 13th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Yeah. When your setting up it will give you an option to use the whole Hard Drive

Kevbert
April 13th, 2009, 07:10 PM
Welcome to Ubuntu.
When you install from CD you are given the option to use the whole disk, so you should have no problems. Things to check are that the downloaded ISO file md5sum/checksum is correct, that you check the CD integrity after you've burn the CD (x2 write is best) and that your RAM memory is checked with memtest (an option when you boot the CD, Windows can run with faulty RAM, but may crash for no apparent reason).
Good luck, you probably won't regret the switch.:p

MysticGold04
April 13th, 2009, 07:11 PM
If your positive you want to do so, then yes, Ubuntu can overwrite all of your partitions (and files) during installation. so make a backup of important data before you do!

When installing Ubuntu, and it asks about partitions, just use the guided (use entire disk) option, or you can create your own partitions and install from there.

Any other questions, just ask! :)

hansdown
April 13th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Hi Chewie8291.

Just boot from your newly burned disk, and during the setup, you will be able to choose
resize, use entire disk.

Therion
April 13th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Guided - Use entire disk (http://www.drakefire.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/install7.png)

RedSingularity
April 13th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Little off topic but..........HEY HANSDOWN!!!!

Stefan.Udrea
April 13th, 2009, 07:21 PM
During installation, at one point you will be shown the partitions of your disk and asked on what partition you want to install Ubuntu,One of the options is to erase everything and create only linux partitions.
You can also make a bootable Gparted CD.

http://download.cnet.com/GParted-LiveCD/3000-2094_4-10698802.html

Gparted is a program that you can use to modify partitions before or after installing Ubuntu.

cpetercarter
April 13th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Don't get too carried away! Ubuntu is great, but any new (ie new to you) operating system is bound to have some problems. When you run the Ubuntu CD, one of the options it will give you is to load buntu from the CD itself without installing it on your hard disc. Select this option, and wait while Ubuntu loads - it takes significantly longer to load from the CD than from your hard disc. Then play around with Ubuntu, and check that everything works - your internet connection, for example, your printer, your webcam. If things don't work, it is nearly always possible to get useful help on this forum. When you feel confident that you can see your way through any initial Ubuntu problems on your machine, then go ahead and install. The disc gives you options of either partitioning the disc (ie so that you have a Windows partition and an Ubuntu partition), or installing Ubuntu as the sole operating system on your machine. It is up to you which you choose - if you have plenty of hard disc space, partitioning can be a good idea as it gives you options of using Windows programmes where you cannot find a suitable Linux alternative. Having said that, I installed Ubuntu as the sole operating system on my Dell Dimension 2400 over a year ago and I have never looked back.

Chewie8291
April 13th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Thank you everyone. Window is such a crap OS. Im on XP now and its just been running horribly. I probably have a virus somewhere but I just dont care any more. There was no way I would move to Vista or Windows 7 either.

RedSingularity
April 13th, 2009, 07:25 PM
Amen