PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu worse than Christmas?

undoIT
April 13th, 2009, 05:33 PM
Waiting for the new version of Ubuntu has got to be worse than waiting for Christmas when you were a little kid (if you celebrated Christmas that is). 10 more days!!!

This time around, I think I will put Ubuntu on my Dell XPS M1330, Kubuntu on my MacBook, and Xubuntu on my HP Mini 1000. Gotta cover all the bases ;)

gn2
April 13th, 2009, 05:34 PM
No need to wait, you can install it right now if you want to.

undoIT
April 13th, 2009, 05:38 PM

Yeah. I burned a copy of the beta and tried it out on the Live CD. Love the new GDM splash! I've still got to finish my taxes and get some other pending projects wrapped up, so I decided to try and be patient for the final release. Also, I just like everything clean and fresh. Not sure if any cruft is left over after updating the beta to final.

swoll1980
April 13th, 2009, 05:38 PM

With warning that it isn't an officially stable release, and could cause problems.

UbuntuNerd
April 13th, 2009, 05:40 PM
go here (http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/jaunty/beta)

swoll1980
April 13th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Yeah. I burned a copy of the beta and tried it out on the Live CD. Love the new GDM splash! I've still got to finish my taxes and get some other pending projects wrapped up, so I decided to try and be patient for the final release. Also, I just like everything clean and fresh. Not sure if any cruft is left over after updating the beta to final.

Beta updates to final is the same as the security updates, and bug fixes you get with the official release.

wolfen69
April 13th, 2009, 05:42 PM
go here (http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/jaunty/beta)

the Daily build (http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/current/) is better. has all updates included up until today. the regular beta will need 400+ updates. ;) saves time too.

wolfen69
April 13th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Beta updates to final is the same as the security updates, and bug fixes you get with the official release.

i know it probably does not matter, but i will be reinstalling when the official release is made available. it will put my mind at ease, knowing that i started with the "official" release.

undoIT
April 13th, 2009, 06:00 PM
I have installed the beta version several times in the past and used it until next release without problem. Generally, the betas seem very stable.

i know it probably does not matter, but i will be reinstalling when the official release is made available. it will put my mind at ease, knowing that i started with the "official" release.

Same for me, something about installing the final release puts my mind at ease, like there won't be any stray beta temp files left over. Must be a lingering psychosis from the ******* days - registry gunk / dll gunk etc.

gn2
April 13th, 2009, 06:05 PM
With warning that it isn't an officially stable release, and could cause problems.

Indeed that's correct, likewise there's no guarantee that the final release won't cause problems either.....