PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me or are we getting smarter.

earobinson
January 4th, 2006, 04:17 PM
I have been coming to these and many other linux forums for a long timem and as we grow It seems that the new users are smarter... maybe they are able to find the answer to the questions they have using google and the like. Maybe we are just stealing a lot of other users from other distros... Maybe linux is just getting easier to use.

But Im seeing:
- less (% wise) easy to answer questons.
- more posts that start with I searched ...... but I still have a problem.
- more low post / join date users answering really hard questions.

this could just be a result of the fact that our user base is very large, but I think that % wize we are getting smarter and have less easy to answer questions as a community.

congrats guys!

fuscia
January 4th, 2006, 04:21 PM
It seems that the new users are smarter...

i can see how i might give that impression.

horace
January 4th, 2006, 04:33 PM
I think there is now such a wealth of information in the forum pages that most of the answers new users need can be found without needing to ask the questions again - that has certainly been my experience.

Kyral
January 4th, 2006, 04:45 PM
I for one welcome it. It makes me not have to answer the....uh...how do I put this...questions like "How do I install programs". Too many questions like that in one day when I'm stressed out triggers my BOFH mood (for those who don't know, BOFH means Bastard Operator From Hell)

gw90se
January 4th, 2006, 04:54 PM
As a new user (to both Linux & Ubuntu) I can say that most of my questions have been answered through searching previous threads. The times I did have to ask a question, I got quick replys. The few times I have been able to offer assistance, it was from dealing with the issue, myself.

Are the new users smarter? I would lean towards the usage of searching of answers, the availbility of the How-To's and the Wiki. (plus, it is easier to install programs now with Synaptic, then it was a couple of years ago when I first tried Linux.

Lord Illidan
January 4th, 2006, 05:03 PM
Same here. Now I have to think a bit harder before I post a reply. Good thing, too, cleverer users = better os in the end as more of them start doing work on Linux and improve it in their own way.

earobinson
January 4th, 2006, 05:25 PM
Its just intresting to see how things change.... + I end up spending a lot more time in community chat lol.

Havoc
January 4th, 2006, 05:59 PM
It's just you.

earobinson
January 4th, 2006, 06:05 PM
It's just you.
:(

Nomearod
January 4th, 2006, 06:43 PM
At this moment there's a lot of information about Linux, and there are great Guides explaing how to install programs and codecs and new users are using it insted of asking.

But, at least for me, do things like install programs is easier to do in Ubuntu than in Windows. ( Synaptic rules )

Minyaliel
January 4th, 2006, 06:49 PM
I don't know what I'd have done without the combination of a great, norwegian Linux book I borrowed at the library, the wiki and you guys :) *huggles*

bored2k
January 4th, 2006, 06:53 PM
The latest Ubuntu release (Breezy) has been out for a few months now, which means that the gigantic flock of new users have already asked the same questions over and over again and know the answer for them. Chances are, the majority of the new forum members who join nowadays are already linux users who are just looking at the latest "hot" distribution.

When Dapper is released, you'll these same questions over and over again. But yeah, it's fun to see new users get better at this :D .