PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Re: CHANGING VGA MODE IN INSTALLATION SETUP

thgang
April 13th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Hi,

I am a newbie trying to install the latest Ubuntu Desktop using the i386 alternate CD (i.e. text based installation) as I am using Virtual PC 2007.

However, I have one problem. I can't seem to change the VGA mode to 800x600x16 which I need as Virtual PC supports 16 but colour rather that 24 bit colour (set as the default). I know that on previous versions this was a setting under F4. I know there is a way of edting the command line for the boot up and I have tried a few things but none of them have worked.

Also, I tired searching this particular isue and there did not seem to be anything relevant to the installation in particular.

Any help/guidance would be great.

Cheers,
Jim

Cybie257
April 13th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Hi,

I am a newbie trying to install the latest Ubuntu Desktop using the i386 alternate CD (i.e. text based installation) as I am using Virtual PC 2007.
Any help/guidance would be great.

Cheers,
Jim

Save yourself the headaches and use Virtualbox. It's free and the newest release supports Jaunty. Installs perfectly and you can even use the non-text installer. :)

Virtual PC, while it does work with some tweaking for Linux Distros, was never designed to run anything other than Microsoft products. Yes, i know it works with other OS's, but was focussed on MS products.

Here is a direct link to the downloads. It's available in most (popular) platforms, including Windows.

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

-Cybie