PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ubuntu not booting grldr

tomocar
April 13th, 2009, 12:15 PM
i installed ubuntu, and when it said that i need to restart the computer i did that. Than i had the option to chose between ubuntu and XP, and i chose ubuntu... and than the screen came up saying booting GRLDR and nothing else happened afterwards... please help.

thank you

Aubergines
April 13th, 2009, 12:48 PM
As far as I can hunt around GRLDR is Grub4dos or wingrub and it's a patched version of regular Grub. Not sure what that's doing in Ubutnu, more likely it's a left over from Windows Vista since I hear there's some "dodgy" Vista distros often use GRLDR to avoid activation.

tomocar
April 13th, 2009, 12:56 PM
i never installed vista on my computer...
i asked this same question on yahoo and got this answer:

grldr is used by windows to load grub. If grldr hangs then it can't find /boot/grub/menu.lst on your ubuntu partition.

i have the menu.lst file under D:/winboot/menu.lst

maybe this is the problem? if not... i have no idea o.0

Aubergines
April 13th, 2009, 01:03 PM
Not sure, I'd say the easiest option would be to get Linux grub to boot windows rather than the other way around so menu.lst used is from linux. I don't know anything about GRLDR but I assume it's possible that the menu.lst in D:/winboot/menu.lst is the grub config used by GRLDR and not linux grub.

Aubergines
April 13th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Hmm unless it's some weird Wubi (http://wubi-installer.org/) thing.

tomocar
April 13th, 2009, 01:07 PM
Not sure, I'd say the easiest option would be to get Linux grub to boot windows rather than the other way around so menu.lst used is from linux. I don't know anything about GRLDR but I assume it's possible that the menu.lst in D:/winboot/menu.lst is the grub config used by GRLDR and not linux grub.

ahh... the menu.lst is under D:/ubuntu/winboot/menu.lst

how can i get the linux grub to boot windows?

tomocar
April 13th, 2009, 01:22 PM
i'll tell you exactly what i did... my father brought me linux cd and i tried to install... i installed normally, and when restarting computer got the booting grldr screen... i thought it was something wrong with the cd... than i downloaded ubuntu from linux webpage, installed it and got the same "error" i have no idea what to do now...

Aubergines
April 13th, 2009, 03:18 PM
I'm not too sure, wubi is something I've never used before. Have you tried installing Ubuntu by booting off the cd directly rather than installing it via windows?

tomocar
April 13th, 2009, 04:11 PM
yeah... it's the same... and when i try only the test linux without installing, an error pops up saying that it couldnt find the right CD or something like that... i guess its something wrong with hardware rather than with software...

tomocar
April 13th, 2009, 07:01 PM
another thing happens now... when i start my computer and chose ubuntu and the ubuntu not booting grldr shows, right after that the computer reboots... and it keeps doing it...

randomnosity
April 19th, 2009, 10:55 PM
i had the same problem discussed in this thread. i tried nearly everything here. I managed to change the bios to boot priority to boot from CD first rather than the hard drive.

hope this works