PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] creating 5th partition for GRUB

dijxtra
April 13th, 2009, 11:19 AM
I have 4 primary partitions: 3 OSes (Kbuntu/Xubuntu/Arch) and swap. Now I want to create a separate partition for GRUB. So, I'd like to ask:

0. why can't I have more than 4 primary partitions
1. does GRUB have to be installed on a primary partition
2. does Ubuntu have to be installed on a primary partition if I want to use it's GRUB (as I do it now, before I have created separate partition for GRUB)
3. does Ubuntu have to be installed on a primary partition if I don't want to use it's GRUB (I'll use GRUB on separate partition)
4. do Windows XP have to be installed on a primary partition
5. what primary/logical configuration do you propose if I wan to have saaaay, 5 linuxes, 1 windows, swap and separate GRUB partition? Which one should I put on primary and which one on logical partition?
6. how dangerous is ti to resize ext3 partitions with gparted? Am I reasonably safe from data loss?

Thanks in advance.

Aubergines
April 13th, 2009, 01:38 PM
0. why can't I have more than 4 primary partitions?
The reason why you can't have more than 4 primary partitions is due to the limitations of the partition table. The partition table on current drives occupies 64 bytes. Each partition uses 16 bytes and therefore you can only have 4 partitions. More info here (http://www.viralpatel.net/taj/tutorial/partition_table.php).

1. does GRUB have to be installed on a primary partition?
Grub is installed into the MBR which isn't on any partition, it's the first 446 bytes of a hard drive. The grub configurations and the application that writes to the MBR however can be on any partition.

2. does Ubuntu have to be installed on a primary partition if I want to use it's GRUB
Ubuntu can be installed on any partition. Grub is simply an application, the application is controlled by a configuration file (menu.lst). The app with the config writes the bootloader with your specified settings to the MBR. It doesn't matter which distro you use to write to the MBR.

3. does Ubuntu have to be installed on a primary partition if I don't want to use it's GRUB (I'll use GRUB on separate partition)
See above

No, Windows can be installed on any partition. In fact windows is installed within a logical partition as default.

5. what primary/logical configuration do you propose if I wan to have saaaay, 5 linuxes, 1 windows, swap and separate GRUB partition? Which one should I put on primary and which one on logical partition?
If you want a shared /boot partition for all your linux distos (I'm not even sure that's safe with various distro possibility using different versions of grub but sharing the same configs) you can put /boot and swap on a primary. The rest of the drive can be a logical partition which holds all your distros.

6. how dangerous is ti to resize ext3 partitions with gparted? Am I reasonably safe from data loss?
No idea, the gparted faq can be found here (http://gparted.sourceforge.net/faq.php)

dijxtra
April 13th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Excellent! Thanks for all your answers, you were most helpful.

0. why can't I have more than 4 primary partitions?
If you want a shared /boot partition for all your linux distos (I'm not even sure that's safe with various distro possibility using different versions of grub but sharing the same configs) you can put /boot and swap on a primary. The rest of the drive can be a logical partition which holds all your distros.
No, not shared /boot partition, but a partition that has only /boot/grub in it, and to which MBR is pointing. That is much simpler than shared /boot.

meierfra.
April 13th, 2009, 04:50 PM
No, Windows can be installed on any partition. In fact windows is installed within a logical partition as default.

Incomplete answer. You will not be able to install Windows unless you have a primary fat or ntfs partition on the boot drive. So it will be best to install Windows on a primary partition.

I suggest to make Windows and your grub partition primary, the rest logical
(or if you want to have Windows on logical partition, you can format the grub partition as fat32 and use it also as the Windows System partition)

how dangerous is ti to resize ext3 partitions with gparted? Am I reasonably safe from data loss?
gparted is very safe, but in rare cases data loss can occur. So you should backup all your value data.

dijxtra
April 14th, 2009, 03:23 PM
meierfra., thanks for the tip.

Now, can anyone tell me how can I figure out to which GRUB does my MBR point to (in a scenario I have GRUB on saaay: hd0,0, hd0,1 and hd0,3 and they all have identical menu.lst)?

meierfra.
April 14th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Now, can anyone tell me how can I figure out to which GRUB does my MBR point to

Well, you could just add something like this to your menu.lst:

title Menu.lst from /dev/sda1
root

Or download the Boot Info Script to your desktop:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/bootinfoscript/

Then open a terminal (Applications > Accessories > Terminal) and type:

sudo bash ~/Desktop/boot_info_script*.sh

That will create the file "RESULTS.txt" on your desktop
The first few lines of RESULTS.txt will answer your question.

dijxtra
April 14th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Interesting. So, there's no way I can find that out from grub shell?

meierfra.
April 14th, 2009, 09:23 PM
So, there's no way I can find that out from grub shell?

No. Actually the boot_info_script was originally invented to provide an answer to your question. Namely look at all the MBRs, determine whether grub is installed and if yes, determine where grub is pointing to.

Here is on more way to answer your question.
Say grub is installed in the mbr of /dev/sda.
Then type

sudo xxd -s 1049 -l 2 /dev/sda

If it returns

0X8Y

it means grub looks for menu.lst on

(hdY,X)

So for example if it returns

then grub looks for menu.lst on

(hd2,3)

Also "0XFF" has the same meaning as "0X80", that is grub looks for menu.lst on (hd0,X)"

dijxtra
April 15th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Here is on more way to answer your question.
Say grub is installed in the mbr of /dev/sda.
Then type

sudo xxd -s 1049 -l 2 /dev/sda

If it returns

0X8Y

it means grub looks for menu.lst on

(hdY,X)

So for example if it returns

then grub looks for menu.lst on

(hd2,3)

Also "0XFF" has the same meaning as "0X80", that is grub looks for menu.lst on (hd0,X)"

Now, that's an answer I was looking for! :-D Thanks a bunch! Now I'll go dissect xxd and have fun. :-)