PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubunta Will Not Run

Trafficflow
April 13th, 2009, 05:20 AM
I just did a restart and ubuntu will not load. I goes thru the start up and everything. LOads bios and then ask to pick one to run. I do not have windows on this computer. It is a dell and no fault lifght either. Any ideas.

lisati
April 13th, 2009, 05:22 AM
I'm not sure I understand properly. Do you get a list of things to run or do you get an error message?

Trafficflow
April 13th, 2009, 05:27 AM
I receive a list and i pick the ubuntu like i always do

lisati
April 13th, 2009, 05:28 AM
I receive a list and i pick the ubuntu like i always do

Any error messages?

Trafficflow
April 13th, 2009, 05:31 AM
Sorry no error messages. Hard drive maybe

Trafficflow
April 13th, 2009, 05:35 AM
It started running again. This is not the first time. Hardware or software? Maybe it had to cool.I put a new mobo in a month ago with a prescott chip. This is a oloder computer tjhat i speeded up.

Mark Phelps
April 13th, 2009, 03:44 PM
It started running again. This is a oloder computer tjhat i speeded up.
You talking about "overclocking" the older chip? If that's true, try resetting it to standard parms and seeing if that stabilizes your machine.

When I overclocked my AMD 64, there were a bunch of AMD-provided utilities that ran only in Windows that allowed fine tweaking. When I run Ubuntu, I have to set it back to default parms for it to remain stable.

Trafficflow
April 13th, 2009, 04:03 PM
I can overclock but I did not. I had a Dell 170L mobo that I can run at 800mhz front side bus.Prescott 3.0 also Should I turn hyperthreading off?

Trafficflow
April 13th, 2009, 09:23 PM
It did it again this morning. I started in safe mode and did a regular boot and it started right up. I do not think its a hard drive now maybe. Any ideas?

Trafficflow
April 14th, 2009, 02:01 AM
I can not run Ubuntu without starting in recovery mode. I can use like that but what is the issue?Ubuntu 8.10 is the os.