PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] network manager applet...

zander1013
April 13th, 2009, 04:45 AM
hi,

i have somehow deleted the network manager applet from the application bar at the top of the screen.

it is not in the "add to panel" list for the panel.

how do i put the applet back in the panel please?

-zander

_Purple_
April 13th, 2009, 06:06 AM
Is Notification Area added to your panel? Try to add Notification Area from Add to Panel.

RedSingularity
April 13th, 2009, 06:07 AM
Yeah it is usually under "notification area" on the panel.

tpost001
April 13th, 2009, 04:09 PM
I am having the same problem and posted it. I cannot find a Notification Area Applet. When I right-click the top panel, there is no option for Notification Area Applet.

tpost001
April 13th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Nevermind. Thanks. I found it. Right-click on the top panel, Add to Panel, and then pick Notification Area. Thanks a million.

But...

Now I have 3 nm-applets. How do I get rid of the 2 extra ones I don't need? I cannot "remove from panel" on those.

zander1013
April 13th, 2009, 07:43 PM
thanks all it was the notification area.:popcorn:

@topost001: if you right click on the applet you want to remove it should give you a "remove from panel" option in the drop-down menu.

peace, love and free software!!!):P

-zander

jaschulz
April 13th, 2009, 08:27 PM
I have a cousin of this problem. I, too, accidentally deleted the Network Manager applet. I restored it by going to System>Preferences>Sessions and checking the Network Manager item in that list. Now, however, even though I have enabled auto log-in, when I boot up, the Network Manager puts up a dialog asking for my password. How can I avoid this dialog?

thanks,

JAS

P.S. Even though in System>Preferences>Bluetooth I have checked "Never display an icon", the system turns on my bluetooth as it boots and puts the icon in my panel. How can I tell the system to leave bluetooth dormant? thanks again

Jakey_TheSnake
April 13th, 2009, 09:51 PM
I have a cousin of this problem. I, too, accidentally deleted the Network Manager applet. I restored it by going to System>Preferences>Sessions and checking the Network Manager item in that list. Now, however, even though I have enabled auto log-in, when I boot up, the Network Manager puts up a dialog asking for my password. How can I avoid this dialog?

thanks,

JAS

P.S. Even though in System>Preferences>Bluetooth I have checked "Never display an icon", the system turns on my bluetooth as it boots and puts the icon in my panel. How can I tell the system to leave bluetooth dormant? thanks again

The network dialog is for wireless I presume? At one time I saw a "remember" option below it, but only once. Maybe they thought it was a good idea, then changed their minds? I don't think you can, anyway, at least without some tinkering in configuration files.

System > Preferences > Sessions, just uncheck Bluetooth.

edit: you guys can back up exactly how your panel looks with:

gconftool-2 --dump /apps/panel > ~/paneldata.entries

Then after you accidentally delete stuff again, you can restore it to its previous state with:

gconftool-2 --load ~/paneldata.entries

Please note that "~/" is a shortcut to "/home/username/". You can change the filepath if you wish.

jaschulz
April 13th, 2009, 09:54 PM
The thing is, before I stupidly deleted it (and then resored it) the system would boot, and the wireless would connect, without asking for any password. Doesn't that mean I should be able to restore that behavior?

JAS

tpost001
April 14th, 2009, 12:18 AM
I would like to get back to my issue.

zander1013 suggested I right click the extra nm-applet and click "remove from panel". I have 4 computers running Ubuntu 8.04.2. I can't do as you suggested on any of them. Can you really do that? I can remove just about anything you mention on the panel with your method, but nothing inside the "Notification Area" that you helped me restore has that option. Is the best idea to remove it again and then reinstall it? I think I will give that a try.

Jakey_TheSnake
April 14th, 2009, 12:23 AM
The thing is, before I stupidly deleted it (and then resored it) the system would boot, and the wireless would connect, without asking for any password. Doesn't that mean I should be able to restore that behavior?

JAS

Ah, well then you should. But, alas, I do not know how. It bugged me for a while too, but then I saw the plus side when friends started playing with my laptop.

benerivo
April 14th, 2009, 12:39 AM
I would try using wicd rather than the default networkmanager applet, as it won't ask you for a password every time.

@ JakeTheSnake -- What did DDT originally mean? I heard it meant Deadly Damian Torture.

tpost001
April 14th, 2009, 12:47 AM
Solved: My problems are over! Thanks for everyone's help. SO if anyone wants to know (this is for 8.04)...

If your network applet goes away on the upper panel, it is because the "Notification Area" applet got removed by accident. The "Notification Area" can be removed by right clicking on the 2 columns of dots that look like a panel separator. That's what I thought it was and I right-clicked and removed it from the panel. That action also removes your network applet (nm-applet) and the update notification applet. You won't see the familiar red arrow for security and/or other updates anymore, either.

To get them back, right click on any blank area of the panel and select "Add to Panel...". The "Add to Panel" window pops up. Scroll down to "Notification Area - Area where notification icons appear" and select it and click +ADD. If your network applet does not appear immediately, press Alt-F2 for the "Run Application" window and type in nm-applet. It will now appear.

The "Add to Panel" window also has a Network Monitor applet. It is different than the nm-applet. It does not have a selector for available wireless networks, but it does show your interface device and the packets sent and received.

fennypotter
October 22nd, 2011, 03:20 PM
Solved: My problems are over! Thanks for everyone's help. SO if anyone wants to know (this is for 8.04)...

If your network applet goes away on the upper panel, it is because the "Notification Area" applet got removed by accident. The "Notification Area" can be removed by right clicking on the 2 columns of dots that look like a panel separator. That's what I thought it was and I right-clicked and removed it from the panel. That action also removes your network applet (nm-applet) and the update notification applet. You won't see the familiar red arrow for security and/or other updates anymore, either.

To get them back, right click on any blank area of the panel and select "Add to Panel...". The "Add to Panel" window pops up. Scroll down to "Notification Area - Area where notification icons appear" and select it and click +ADD. If your network applet does not appear immediately, press Alt-F2 for the "Run Application" window and type in nm-applet. It will now appear.

The "Add to Panel" window also has a Network Monitor applet. It is different than the nm-applet. It does not have a selector for available wireless networks, but it does show your interface device and the packets sent and received.

Thanks for the explanation, i've got the problem but solved by this.. :popcorn::):P:KS