PDA

View Full Version : ubuntu->debian

phanipalagummi
April 13th, 2009, 03:26 AM
After a long use of ubuntu,i just switched to debian,after the installation procedure i fond the following problems

1.i could not fing the synaptic package manager any where.
2.i could not find the software sources any where
3.there is no pppoeconf package in the system.

when i tried to re-analyze the installation cd i could not find any clue ,please any one help me.
And sorry for asking this question here.

hyper_ch
April 13th, 2009, 03:32 AM
(1) install it
(2) that's ubuntu specific
(3) no clue about that

drowner
April 13th, 2009, 03:32 AM
Perhaps you should ask a debian forum?

Yashiro
April 13th, 2009, 05:07 AM
If you don't have a working network connection during the install you will indeed encounter the problems you posted about.

kerry_s
April 13th, 2009, 05:21 AM

1) it was on my install
2) had that to
3) not sure

i used the net installer: http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/daily-builds/daily/arch-latest/i386/iso-cd/debian-testing-i386-businesscard.iso

in a couple of hours i can put pics, i'm waiting for a friend to bring me a hd, the 1 i had it on died.

alright it's installing, i'm at 595 of 838. :)

kerry_s
April 13th, 2009, 07:39 AM
all right here it is, fresh install just booted,logged in and took the screenshoots.
i don't see no pppoeconf installed, but it is in the standard repo.

kerry_s
April 13th, 2009, 06:13 PM
wow, debian gnome has got bloated.
tips:
1) the stupid grey'd out parts, you need to install "policykit-gnome", log out and back in.

2) flash, add the multimedia repo, when you install flashplugin-mozilla mark swf-mozilla for reinstall, that will make the real flash the default without having to remove anything.

3) slow gui, save a session in sessions when you first log in. fix the host file. i turned on reduced resources, cause i prefer the wire frame.

i forget what else, had to fix so many things. :lolflag:

i think i'm going to try the xfce4 install, i saw in the installer you can now choose the 1 you want(kde,xfce4,lxde).
if i don't like that i'll probably go with a base build up. ;)

glotz
April 13th, 2009, 08:29 PM
After a long use of ubuntu,i just switched to debian,after the installation procedure i fond the following problems

when i tried to re-analyze the installation cd i could not find any clue ,please any one help me.
And sorry for asking this question here.What did you install exactly? I'm on Lenny and Synaptic definitely is there. Software sources are just like in Ubuntu if I remember correctly at /etc/apt/sources.list And pppoeconf is there too, just like with Synaptic, you'll need to install the package if you haven't got it.

halitech
April 13th, 2009, 08:42 PM
I used the steps here:

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=26566

to get my install done from the ground up. I don't think synaptic is installed by default but can be installed easily

2. once you have synaptic installed you can get to sources from there or gksu gedit /etc/apt/sources.list will open it.

3. pppoeconf needs to be installed as well - synaptic or sudo apt-get install pppoeconf

Yashiro
April 14th, 2009, 03:59 AM
Synaptic is installed by default IF you choose the Desktop System AND you have a working net connection during the setup.

If not you get a semi working desktop and missing apps.

halitech
April 14th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Synaptic is installed by default IF you choose the Desktop System AND you have a working net connection during the setup.

If not you get a semi working desktop and missing apps.

that depends on if you use the net install or a full download. the full download will give you a complete working install.