April 13th, 2009, 01:07 AM
mmlolirl

Beezleray
April 13th, 2009, 01:22 AM
See: Bug#1

Hmmm?

lisati
April 13th, 2009, 01:24 AM
MS bashing? Many of us here at the forums will appreciate the overthrow of MS, but is it appropriate?

April 13th, 2009, 01:26 AM
MS bashing? Many of us here at the forums will appreciate the overthrow of MS, but is it appropriate?

My point! :lol:

Mehall
April 13th, 2009, 01:29 AM
Hmmm?

Bug #1 on launchpad.

I'd post it here, but I'm getting timeouts on Launchpad right now :/

it's here though, if you get through: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/1

SomeGuyDude
April 13th, 2009, 01:30 AM
Oh those wacky Muslims. Always trying to conquer something or other.

Sealbhach
April 13th, 2009, 01:34 AM

Unlike the nice Crusaders...;)

gletob
April 13th, 2009, 01:34 AM

stop it you'll get the thread closed.

I think this is not appropriate, it could steer people from ubuntu.

[not a muslim]

April 13th, 2009, 01:40 AM

[not a muslim]

I don't think it's appropriate either.

happysmileman
April 13th, 2009, 01:41 AM
I don't think people should be so easily offended by what was clearly a joke. (In reference to "SomeGuyDude"s comment, not the OPs pics)

Mehall
April 13th, 2009, 01:43 AM
Unlike the nice Crusaders...;)

XDDD

But yah, +1 to gletob

April 13th, 2009, 01:44 AM
I don't think people should be so easily offended by what was clearly a joke.

I think that it shouldn't be on the official main page of a Ubuntu variant. ;)

happysmileman
April 13th, 2009, 01:48 AM
I think that it shouldn't be on the official main page of a Ubuntu variant. ;)

AH, I was referring to the user above me making the joke about the muslims always trying to dominate something, not the website OP mentions. A single post in an unofficial forum and the main page of a distros website are two different things I guess.

Really I'd say it's up to Canonical, because the website uses the Ubuntu logo and trademark.

Mehall
April 13th, 2009, 01:49 AM
Yeah, but I could go and make an Ubuntu variant.

According to the Ubuntu Trademark page, it's only ones ending in "ubuntu" or "buntu" that are breaking the trademark, they let anyone use "ubuntu random edition" or whatever.

I could go on and make a bigoted, racist, sexist, horrid statement on the "official" page for that distro.

Mehall
April 13th, 2009, 01:51 AM
AH, I was referring to the user above me making the joke about the muslims always trying to dominate something, not the website OP mentions. A single post in an unofficial forum and the main page of a distros website are two different things I guess.

Really I'd say it's up to Canonical, because the website uses the Ubuntu logo and trademark.

as I said in my post, the trademark has no issue. Canonical could theoretically stop them using the logo, granted, but not the name they have

happysmileman
April 13th, 2009, 01:51 AM
Yeah, but I could go and make an Ubuntu variant.

According to the Ubuntu Trademark page, it's only ones ending in "ubuntu" or "buntu" that are breaking the trademark, they let anyone use "ubuntu random edition" or whatever.

I could go on and make a bigoted, racist, sexist, horrid statement on the "official" page for that distro.

Do you remember "Whitebuntu"?
Not sure how that ended but I can't find the officla site anymore, so i guess it's gone

happysmileman
April 13th, 2009, 01:53 AM
as I said in my post, the trademark has no issue. Canonical could theoretically stop them using the logo, granted, but not the name they have

I wasn't aware that they allowed "Ubuntu ____ edition", I assumed they didn't let anyone use the name without permission.

Really I guess the website isn't doing too much wrong then, they could be stopped from using the logo, but what they're saying actually isn't too far removed from the wording of Bug #1 (Although that was created partially as a joke).

Mehall
April 13th, 2009, 01:55 AM
Not sure how that ended but I can't find the officla site anymore, so i guess it's gone

Ahh, but thats because they used something ending in "buntu", which DOES break the trademark.

Granted, if Canonical really cared, they could do something about any of these, and probably would have in the case of Whitebuntu anyway, but the point stands

Wiebelhaus
April 13th, 2009, 01:57 AM
Har har! Knee slapper...

BFD.

Sealbhach

They had a release party:

...Granted, if Canonical really cared, they could do something about any of these, and probably would have in the case of Whitebuntu anyway, but the point stands

Exactly. I don't think they should post the Microsoft comment, but I think Canonical has bigger fish to fry. :)

Mehall
April 13th, 2009, 01:58 AM
see here: http://www.ubuntu.com/aboutus/trademarkpolicy

most notably:

"Canonical owns a number of trademarks and these include UBUNTU, KUBUNTU, EDUBUNTU, and XUBUNTU. The trademarks are registered in both word and logo form. Any mark ending with the letters UBUNTU or BUNTU is sufficiently similar to one or more of the trademarks that permission will be needed in order to use it. This policy encompasses all marks, in word and logo form, collectively referred to as “Trademarks”."

Any mark ending with the letters UBUNTU or BUNTU needs permission.

There's also logo usage guidelines at the bottom, and I don't think they restrict it enough to stop Ubuntu Muslim Edition, if they wanted to.

They had a release party:

Good lord.
Get rid of this.
[-(

Mehall
Exactly. I don't think they should post the Microsoft comment, but I think Canonical has bigger fish to fry. :)

Microsoft ;)

Mehall
April 13th, 2009, 01:59 AM
Good lord.
Get rid of this.
[-(

Says the person who quoted it.

ubuntu27
April 13th, 2009, 01:59 AM
See: Bug#1

Hmmm?

Bug#1 (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/1) is the most important and critical bug that Ubuntu is trying to fix.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/1

April 13th, 2009, 02:00 AM
Says the person who quoted it.

:-| Fixed.

Sealbhach
April 13th, 2009, 02:01 AM
Good lord.
Get rid of this.
[-(

Gone.

April 13th, 2009, 02:02 AM
Gone.

Thanks.

SomeGuyDude
April 13th, 2009, 02:31 AM

[not a muslim]

:lolflag:

C'mon dude, I'm a bleeding heart liberal with nothing resembling ill will toward my Muslim friends (of which I have a small number). That was just too much an obvious joke to make. Give a guy a break!

Stupendoussteve
April 13th, 2009, 03:07 AM
Good lord.
Get rid of this.
[-(

He has his own: http://ubuntuce.com/index.htm

Neither one is a joke. I believe they have obtained permission in the past to use the Ubuntu, something that Ubuntu Satanic Edition (possibly NSFW, search for yourself) was quite upset about when they were denied the permission (which they have apparently obtained?).

Mehall
April 13th, 2009, 03:12 AM
He has his own: http://ubuntuce.com/index.htm

Neither one is a joke. I believe they have obtained permission in the past to use the Ubuntu, something that Ubuntu Satanic Edition (possibly NSFW, search for yourself) was quite upset about when they were denied the permission (which they have apparently obtained?).

What you quoted was @ a picture another user posted which shouldn;t have been posted.

Stupendoussteve
April 13th, 2009, 03:14 AM
Meh, doesn't really matter.

If you look in the Forum CP here, you can choose Ubuntu ME or Ubuntu CE as which version you are using.

EDIT: I just noticed the point of the circled statement from OP. It is awesome.

lisati
April 13th, 2009, 03:21 AM
One thing about freedom is that we are free to disagree if the opportunity presents itself. In this case, a potential source of disagreement is whether or not we should use products by MS, and whether or not MS should be overthrown. The trouble usually arises when the debate shifts focus away from intelligent discussion on the point of disagreement towards being disrespectful (not that I've seen that here, of course).

louislepperd
April 13th, 2009, 07:04 AM
I dont know..
I think Making a "Ubuntu M.E" is a bad idea
look at what happened to microsoft

CraigPaleo
April 13th, 2009, 07:18 AM
:lolflag:

C'mon dude, I'm a bleeding heart liberal with nothing resembling ill will toward my Muslim friends (of which I have a small number). That was just too much an obvious joke to make. Give a guy a break!

Are you of the Bahá'í Faith perchance? Ever investigated it?

Yownanymous
April 13th, 2009, 08:11 AM
That DID give me a good laugh... It's odd cause I've visited that website before and never noticed it until now...

WatchingThePain
April 13th, 2009, 11:27 AM
What about UbuntuVE Voodoo edition?.

April 13th, 2009, 11:36 AM
I dont know..
I think Making a "Ubuntu M.E" is a bad idea
look at what happened to microsoft

lulz.