PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Trouble installing on desktop Computer

jenova_skill
April 13th, 2009, 12:34 AM
I've got ubuntu on both my laptops and have had no Install problems what so ever. On my desktop i finally decided to put ubuntu on after learning enuff about it.
1st install was Ubuntu 8.1 64 bit It keeps crashing on 6/7 for the installer so........ I installed it inside of windows sucessfully However it could not run any programs I tried to run to test everything out (open arena for *3d gfx* from repository)
I've also tried kubuntu/xubuntu live cd's just to see installing from boot menu with the same problem

So basicly the only way i can get it installed is inside windows and for some reason im haveing trouble running nething i download from repository

Could i be haveing problems because windows xp is 32 bit? and im trying to install a 64bit ubuntu? At this point im not sure what to do and just brainstorming.

I have a HP 3500 AMD 64bit
And i have windows xp SP3 with the boot loop fix for HP amd processors ( i imagine this could have something to do with my problems)

theozzlives
April 13th, 2009, 12:42 AM
Remember 9.04 is a beta version, I too have had problems with the live installer, try the alternate CD.

spcwingo
April 13th, 2009, 12:44 AM
If I were in your situation I would try the X86 alternate install CD.

tommcd
April 13th, 2009, 02:22 AM
How are you burning the CD? If burning from Windows, use Infra Recorder, and burn at the slowest possible speed:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto
Then when you boot the CD, choose the option to check the CD for defects to be sure it is good. Use the 32 bit Ubuntu if 64 bit is giving you problems.

jenova_skill
April 13th, 2009, 03:46 AM
Im using my latptop running ubuntu to make the live cd's * have worked fine on laptops i've installed all of them on the laptops* i have a total of 4 i've tried so far
Ubuntu 8.4 and 8.1 ... kubuntu 8.1 ....... xubuntu 8.1 HOWEVER all those have been 64bit....
I've yet to try the I386 yet ..........Im hopeing this is the problem

jenova_skill
April 24th, 2009, 01:25 PM
I still can't install from boot screen however I did get ubuntu 8.01 32bit installed inside windows......

Note**
I have 2 cd drives the primary is broken and i am forced to use the slave to try to install from boot screen ** no idea if that has something to do with nething **