PDA

View Full Version : Scanner class in Eclipse not working

Zebra Lord
April 12th, 2009, 11:09 PM
Hello everyone,
I am a newbie to Linux and also to Java. However I had installed the latest Java jdk and jre. I then installed Eclipse using the Add/Remove application. Eclipse works fine except that some of the classes from the Java API seem to be missing. For example, Eclipse will allow me to import java.util.* but not java.util.Scanner.

I know that the Scanner class exists because when I write code which includes a Scanner class in a txt file and compile it in the terminal it works. Does Eclipse use its own compiler or something?

Any help will be appreciated!

chrisjsmith
April 12th, 2009, 11:14 PM
It uses gcj/classpath rather than sun java by default.

You need to put sun java on (install ubuntu-restricted-extras) and configure eclipse to use it:

sudo gedit /etc/eclipse/jdk

move entry "sun-jdk-6" to the top of the list, then restart eclipse. Modify your project so that it picks up the provided jdk rather than the default one.

This is from memory so it might not be 100% accurate.

Zebra Lord
April 12th, 2009, 11:25 PM
It uses gcj/classpath rather than sun java by default.

You need to put sun java on (install ubuntu-restricted-extras) and configure eclipse to use it:

sudo gedit /etc/eclipse/jdk

move entry "sun-jdk-6" to the top of the list, then restart eclipse. Modify your project so that it picks up the provided jdk rather than the default one.

This is from memory so it might not be 100% accurate.

Thanks for the help but the only file in /etc/eclipse is a java_home txt file. I opened the file, but /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun was already at the top of the list.
Also you said to "Modify your project so that it picks up the provided jdk rather than the default one." Could you please elaborate on how to do that. Like I said I'm a newbie :P.

doas777
April 12th, 2009, 11:31 PM
usually, it's been my experience that if you are having trouble resolving the scanner class, then your compliler is useing the 1.4 jdk, not 1.5+.

whats the output of

java -version
?

Zebra Lord
April 12th, 2009, 11:41 PM
this is the output:
"java version "1.6.0_10"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_10-b33)
Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 11.0-b15, mixed mode)"

the output for javac -version is:
"javac 1.6.0_10"

However I did notice that my output when i typed export did not include a JAVA_HOME path.

doas777
April 12th, 2009, 11:46 PM
this is the output:
"java version "1.6.0_10"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_10-b33)
Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 11.0-b15, mixed mode)"

the output for javac -version is:
"javac 1.6.0_10"

However I did notice that my output when i typed export did not include a JAVA_HOME path.

I'm sorry, I meant

javac -version.

your JRE is definelty a good version for the scanner class, so lets check your jdk. also you should make sure that your eclipse settings for the project specify code compliance for 1.5 +.

Zebra Lord
April 12th, 2009, 11:50 PM
I listed my javac -version output in my previous reply but again its:
"javac 1.6.0_10"

doas777
April 12th, 2009, 11:55 PM
ahh, sorry about that.

open eclipse, and go to Window -> Preferences -> Java -> Compiler, and check your 'Compiler Compliance Settings'. it shoudl be 5.0 or higher.

Zebra Lord
April 13th, 2009, 12:00 AM
I changed the Compiler Compliance Settings to 6 but still no luck

Zebra Lord
April 13th, 2009, 12:13 AM
Nvm guys I figured it out :). I just right clicked my project file and went to Build Path > Add Libraries. Then I selected JRE System Library and clicked next. Then I selected the Alternative JRE radio and pasted the address "/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun" (it is probably /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.10 for those who haven't created a link.) I just clicked finish then and that fixed it.

Thanks for all your help you guys! I really appreciate it.