PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Initramfs error when try to boot 8.4 from USB

rh0000
April 12th, 2009, 10:52 PM
Using Ubuntu 8.10, I created a bootable USB stick and installed Ubuntu 8.4 on it. That worked fine. However, as the stick was only 1G big, it wasn't big enough for data etc. Using exactly the same method, I did the same with a 4G USB stick. However, this time, when trying to boot from the USB stick, I get a message saying "BusyBox v113 (Debian 1:1.1.3-5ubuntu12) Built in shell (ash) Enter help for a list of built in commands (initramfs)". I have tried installing 8.4 on a number of different USB sticks, using a number of different copies of 8.4. Each time I get the same message and can't proceed any further. However, my original 1G stick does work. Can anyone help?

One solution would be to continue to use 8.10, which I can boot up into from another USB stick. However, with 8.10, I find I can't access the C: drive on my PC (which contains the PC's primary operation system, Vista, and a large number of data files). When I use 8.10 I am told the C: drive volume can't be mounted.

My aim is to have a copy of Ubuntu on a USB stick, so I can use Ubuntu without needing to have a dual boot hard drive. But I want to be able to access my C: drive from Ubuntu, and to be able to make changes to my copy of Ubuntu. Booting from CD, which is what various magazines suggest if you don't want to mess with your hard drive, means I can't save any data, install any programs, alter the colour of the desktop, or anything, because it all gets lost when I switch off my PC.