PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] AWN Main Menu

theozzlives
April 12th, 2009, 10:47 PM
I got rid of all my panels for space reasons. I'm using AWN and can't find a "Main Menu Applet" that compares to the one in the panels. Can anyone help?

Aizawa
April 13th, 2009, 01:02 AM
There should be a Cairo menu or something like that in the applets list. That's pretty much like the regular GNOME menu. Myself, I have done what you have, but I have Gnome-Do running instead. Super+Space and I just type in what to start, works really well. It's not the only of it's kind, but the best I've tried. (It's like Quicksilver for Mac OS X, apparently.)

But yeah, The Cairo menu is available to me, and I installed AWN from the 8.10 repos.

EDIT: The exact name of it in the list is "Cairo main menu".
EDIT2: I suppose this post is kind of dumb now that I reflect on it, I guess you've gone through all the applets and for some reason you don't have it. That, I don't know how to solve.

theozzlives
April 13th, 2009, 02:42 AM
There should be a Cairo menu or something like that in the applets list. That's pretty much like the regular GNOME menu. Myself, I have done what you have, but I have Gnome-Do running instead. Super+Space and I just type in what to start, works really well. It's not the only of it's kind, but the best I've tried. (It's like Quicksilver for Mac OS X, apparently.)

But yeah, The Cairo menu is available to me, and I installed AWN from the 8.10 repos.

EDIT: The exact name of it in the list is "Cairo main menu".
EDIT2: I suppose this post is kind of dumb now that I reflect on it, I guess you've gone through all the applets and for some reason you don't have it. That, I don't know how to solve.

It's not that I don't have it, I don't like it. I think if I don't find better I'm going with MiMenu I don't have a way to logoff, but I can always restart.

Aizawa
April 13th, 2009, 02:52 AM
What are you looking for, then? That's the only applet that looks and works like the regular GNOME menu as far as I know.

theozzlives
April 13th, 2009, 09:11 AM
What are you looking for, then? That's the only applet that looks and works like the regular GNOME menu as far as I know.

I'd like the shutdown and logoff in the main menu. A window switcher would be nice also.

theozzlives
April 16th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Well since I couldn't find a main menu applet with lock screen, log out, and shut down or a open window applet... I went back to one panel, bummer.

Miata-MS
April 27th, 2009, 01:11 PM
sudo apt-get install awn-applets-c-extras awn-applets-python-extras

PyNot - System Tray
Awn Notification Daemon - Nice 'glass' look notifications
AWN Main Menu - NOT the same as Cairo Main Menu. I agree... the Cairo one isn't' very good
Places - Replaces your gnome-panel 'Places' menu
Quit/Log-out Applet - Quit/Logoff Dialog

Hope that helps!!