PDA

View Full Version : What does Windows 7 Aero have that Compiz doesn't?

blastus
April 12th, 2009, 06:17 PM
I can list one feature; shake (at least I don't think Compiz has this feature.)

gnomeuser
April 12th, 2009, 06:19 PM
The way the new taskbar and Aero integrates cannot be done in Compiz. It is a great bit of functionality Microsoft have thought up there.

swoll1980
April 12th, 2009, 06:19 PM

Shake?

Paqman
April 12th, 2009, 06:29 PM
The way the new taskbar and Aero integrates cannot be done in Compiz. It is a great bit of functionality Microsoft have thought up there.

Not with Compiz, but AWN and Compiz together are pretty groovy.

I don't like the Win 7 taskbar at all. It's like a dock/taskbar mashup that's not really as good as either.

smartboyathome
April 12th, 2009, 06:38 PM
Shake?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DgaGwle7mg

Basically, shake a window to get rid of all other windows on screen except it, and then shake the window again to bring those windows back.

MaxIBoy
April 12th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Isn't that what "maximize" is supposed to be for?

CJ Master
April 12th, 2009, 07:18 PM
One feature that had me addicted to W7 is, when you drag your window to either side it'll resize to take up half the screen; drag it too the top and it'll automatically maximise. You gotta try it to <3 it.

pastalavista
April 12th, 2009, 07:33 PM

A proprietary license agreement... and obscene marketing hype

Polygon
April 12th, 2009, 07:39 PM
the nifty new taskbar that windows 7 has, thats the one thing i really want to see implemented as an option in gnome-panel or whatever its called. It really saves space when you have a lot of stuff open

Mr. Picklesworth
April 12th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Consistent design because Aero is not just a window manager :/

bashveank
April 12th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Consistency, unification, stability....

MaxIBoy
April 12th, 2009, 08:36 PM
the nifty new taskbar that windows 7 has, thats the one thing i really want to see implemented as an option in gnome-panel or whatever its called. It really saves space when you have a lot of stuff open"Group windows" enabled. Also, you can get rid of the text labels either by using KDE, or by installing one of the countless replacement window list applets available for GNOME.

LouisZepher
April 12th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Aero supports integrated Intel video drivers without knowledge of the Arcane.

benj1
April 12th, 2009, 09:14 PM
1 A
1 D
1 E
1 N
1 O
1 R
1 S
2 W
and a 7

oh and a BSOD

joey-elijah
April 12th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Regardless of whether people like the new 'taskbar' in Windows 7 - it is intuitive and adds functionality to what is other wise the same 'desktop' format we've had for the last 15+ years.

i do, however, prefer fully fledged docks rather than the Windows 7 hybrid - but you know what, it actually works better.

Giant Speck
April 12th, 2009, 09:59 PM
"Peek" and the ability to manipulate controls within window previews. Also, the ability to view window previews of windows that are minimized.

swoll1980
April 12th, 2009, 10:36 PM
I have had nothing, but stability from compiz. In 2 years, never once did it crash, or cause any other problems.

JoshuaRL
April 12th, 2009, 10:37 PM
"Peek" and the ability to manipulate controls within window previews. Also, the ability to view window previews of windows that are minimized.

That's why you should use KDE4. Minimized/maximized window previews, integrated desktop effects, glasslooks, compositing, Jaunty-style notifications, and easy online retreival of themes. And it may just be me, but KDE4 seems like it runs with less bugs and issues than Gnome+Compiz.

It's the desktop environment of the future. By 4.3 it will easily surpass Windows 7. By 4.5? That will put Linux on the map for eye candy and functionality. I'd just like to see it get the chance to be the big dog on Ubuntu, especially now that Qt is LGPL'd.

benerivo
April 12th, 2009, 11:08 PM
A more complete integration with the gui. The linked pic shows how the control buttons are within the aero theme, and it also shows the value of blurring plus transparency, as opposed to just transparency.

http://home.comcast.net/~SupportCD/Images/Windows_Vista_Aero_Visual_Style_HiRes.gif

Giant Speck
April 12th, 2009, 11:11 PM
A more complete integration with the gui. The linked pic shows how the control buttons are within the aero theme, and it also shows the value of blurring plus transparency, as opposed to just transparency.

http://home.comcast.net/~SupportCD/Images/Windows_Vista_Aero_Visual_Style_HiRes.gif (http://home.comcast.net/%7ESupportCD/Images/Windows_Vista_Aero_Visual_Style_HiRes.gif)

I love Aero. If only the actual content of the window looked good. Windows's widgets, buttons, and scrollbars are kind of meh.

lykwydchykyn
April 12th, 2009, 11:22 PM
When you do the alt-tab window switcher, one of the options is a blank desktop. We might get this in KDE, it's a popular request at the bug tracker.

dspari1
April 12th, 2009, 11:48 PM
The ability to switch between tabs in Internet Explorer using the windows previews on the dock.

Giant Speck
April 12th, 2009, 11:49 PM
Oh! Oh! The feature that shows a progressbar in the taskbar! I love that feature!

xir_
April 13th, 2009, 12:15 AM
seems that a lot of people like the seamless integration.

just wondering is there a desktop environment designer to use compiz from the ground up (im not sure if KDE4 counts). Maybe that would be a better solution that using desktop manager with composting strapped on top.

Personally i think that win7 doesn't have a thing on compiz. Not that it matters to people who pay 200 squid for the ugly that is windows 7.

JoshuaRL
April 13th, 2009, 12:28 AM
seems that a lot of people like the seamless integration.

just wondering is there a desktop environment designer to use compiz from the ground up (im not sure if KDE4 counts). Maybe that would be a better solution that using desktop manager with composting strapped on top.

KDE4 definitely counts. Desktop effects and compositing are integrated into the desktop environment, not just cobbled together on top. They took the hit that came from KDE 4.0, but had a real 21st century desktop environment as the aim.

Marlonsm
April 13th, 2009, 12:40 AM
One feature that had me addicted to W7 is, when you drag your window to either side it'll resize to take up half the screen; drag it too the top and it'll automatically maximise. You gotta try it to <3 it.

With compiz there is a option to do something like it. You don't drag the window to the side, as it would just take the window to other desktop(something W7 doesn't have, BTW), you press a key combination (Super+Alt is default) and a number in the numpad.

For example, if I press Super+Alt+4 it'll make the window fit the left half of the screen, as "4" is in the left of the numpad.

xubean
July 23rd, 2009, 02:30 AM
Well first I would like to thank you for letting me know that such a thing is possible in compiz. I've been looking for something like this for quite some time. I went ahead in the compiz settings to try to find it and it took me some time to find out, but actually the plugin is called "Grid" and one would have to enable it. Also, for me the default was not super + Alt + KeyPad number, but it was Ctrl + Alt + Keypad number. Anyway you can change it to whatever you want in the settings. I hope this helps other people looking for this functionality. This really shows that Linux really does have everything that Windows 7 has, it may not be exactly like in Windows 7, but you can achieve very similar features. Thanks Compiz!

omniuni
November 23rd, 2009, 07:26 PM
I just wanted to mention; although Windows 7 may look consistent and integrated, you may want to look a bit more carefully. Windows 7, and the applications, do not have any kind of tool kit! In other words, back and forward buttons, the ribbon, etc, have to be re-implimented per application. I would say this total LACK of consistency is something Win7 has that linux generally does not. Even "skinnable" applications like Firefox by default look like a normal application, using the users' preferences to draw the widgets. KDE takes it a step further allowing the user to set global shortcuts and aesthetic preferences that are applied to all applications. With the QT Curve theme, even GTK applications look surprisingly consistent, not to mention that QT Curve is just plain awesome in how much you can tweak the theme and have it still look great!

mamamia88
November 23rd, 2009, 07:37 PM
for me the ability to work across multi monitors without choppy animations.

LinuxFanBoi
November 23rd, 2009, 09:03 PM

Yeah that one doesn't work so well with dual monitors.

LinuxFanBoi
November 23rd, 2009, 09:15 PM

you mean this? (http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/9217/screenshotug.png)

lykwydchykyn
November 23rd, 2009, 09:26 PM
you mean this? (http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/9217/screenshotug.png)

I believe "peek" means that you could subsequently hover over that thumbnail and the window in question would come into focus while the others would go translucent.

Smoothtasks in KDE can be configured to do this, I don't know about GNOME/Compiz/whatever.

MaxIBoy
November 23rd, 2009, 09:29 PM
Aero Snap is pretty amazing. I understand it's in the works for Compiz too and I hope that works out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78uEIPc9Iu0

SunnyRabbiera
November 23rd, 2009, 09:30 PM
Zero compatibility with my video card, thats why I like compiz/Kwin over it.
Heck even if you cant use Compiz/kwin you still have the "wow" factor, Vista/7 loose their wow factor in classic mode and to be honest classic mode in Vista/7 feels clunky.

Dharmachakra
November 23rd, 2009, 09:41 PM
Integration. It's the biggest deal breaker for me.

SunnyRabbiera
November 23rd, 2009, 09:46 PM
Integration. It's the biggest deal breaker for me.

Yes but KDE and Kwin could easily do the same, KDE is very well integrated on openSUSE 11.2

Dharmachakra
November 23rd, 2009, 09:52 PM
Yes but KDE and Kwin could easily do the same, KDE is very well integrated on openSUSE 11.2

Yep, Kwin is great. There are a couple things I would want from Aero, but otherwise, it's far superior.

Sand & Mercury
November 23rd, 2009, 09:58 PM
Integration, performance and stability.

This is more an xorg and drivers problem, but in Linux I have to cross my fingers running games at full speed and even then I'll be lucky to make it back to the desktop without the entire xorg caving in and dropping me back at the login screen.

I Vista and W7, thanks to ATi's poorly written legacy driver the graphics stack can sometimes crash while watching youtube videos in fullscreen (though at least I can watch them at full frames!). The thing here is that when it does crash, most of the time I don't even know. The screen flickers for a half second and then it's like nothing ever happened. The stack goes back up again silently without disrupting anything. That's awesomely good work, and xorg ain't even close to getting their structure to that level.

SunnyRabbiera
November 23rd, 2009, 10:02 PM
But as far is aero is concerned I think it is mostly un needed nonsense, and when you cant use it you loose a lot of its added features.
With Linux DE's you can still use it without fancy effects but with win7 and vista they became overdependent on aero and classic mode is severely lacking compared to how it was in XP.
Especially in 7, my husband used its classic mode at work and he hates it.
He has pretty much given up on windows because of it, when the woweee effects fail and the old standby works like crap it does not fare well for microsoft to a lot of people.
Heck his company is beginning to look heavily into BSD right now, he says that if issues keep up they will go BSD in the next month.

andrea000
February 13th, 2010, 09:42 AM
Aero Snap is pretty amazing. I understand it's in the works for Compiz too and I hope that works out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78uEIPc9Iu0

What everyone is calling Aero Snap compiz can
do right now.Here is how to do it.

install these if you have not

compizconfig-settings-manager
wmctrl

Now you’re all set to begin.

Open the Compiz Config Settings Manager (ALT+F2 ccsm,
system > preferences > CompizConfig…, etc)
Select the “Commands” option.

In 'Command Line 0' paste: -

WIDTH=`xdpyinfo | grep 'dimensions:' | cut -f 2 -d ':' | cut -f 1 -d 'x'` && HALF=$(($WIDTH/2)) && wmctrl -r :ACTIVE: -b add,maximized_vert && wmctrl -r :ACTIVE: -e 0,0,0,$HALF,-1
In 'Command Line 1' paste: -

WIDTH=`xdpyinfo | grep 'dimensions:' | cut -f 2 -d ':' | cut -f 1 -d 'x'` && HALF=$(($WIDTH/2)) && wmctrl -r :ACTIVE: -b add,maximized_vert && wmctrl -r :ACTIVE: -e 0,$HALF,0,$HALF,-1

And in 'Command Line 2' paste: -

wmctrl -r :ACTIVE: -b add,maximized_vert,maximized_horz

Now choose the 'Edge Bindings' tab at the top and set
the following: -

Run Command 0 - Set To Left
Run Command 1 - Set To Right
Run Command 2 - Set To Top

Click on the back button and go to 'General options'.
Set the 'Edge Trigger Delay' to something around 400 - 500
by dragging the slider to the right.

Now all you have to do is drag a window to one of the
specified sides and your window will automatically resize.
This is working well on my ubuntu pc and this is how i did
it.

omniuni
February 13th, 2010, 08:00 PM
I will also mention that you can simply install KWin from KDE 4.4, and enable the "QuickSnap" feature. If you update to KDE 4.4, this is enabled by default. It works exactly like Snap, and it's as easy as clicking a few check boxes.

there.is.only.xul
March 14th, 2011, 08:53 AM
Necropost is necro.

Anyway, I don't know why Compiz would be incapable of being able to have either Aero Shake or the snap modes people loved so much in Windows 7.

With everything I've seen for Compiz so far, it almost seems Compiz is limitless. Why can't se have a modified version of the tile plugin filling in the snap and shake role?

ctrlmd
March 14th, 2011, 09:30 AM
to be honest if i want to compare Aero with Compiz

Compiz wins in the first round

Shibblet
March 14th, 2011, 09:39 AM
to be honest if i want to compare Aero with Compiz

Compiz wins in the first round

How about a registry.

3Miro
March 14th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Compiz lacks some integration with Gnome. For example, you cannot preview minimized windows. To get all of Aero features (and then some) use KDE.

overdrank
March 14th, 2011, 10:52 AM
Back to sleep thread. :) Thread closed