PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] fresh XP & Ubuntu install questions?

phantomfj
April 12th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Hi all,

I have an older desktop (6 years?)with AMD Athlon XP2500+ 1.83 GHz, 1.5 G Ram, 120 G HD, running XP Home with SP 3. It is now causing me huge grief, will not run properly for extended periods of time, strange things happening all the time. Have tried all I can do, antivirus, spyware checks, etc.........nothing is showing up anymore, problems still persist. I have decided to wipe everything clean, and do a fresh XP install, with a dual boot to Ubuntu as well. Couple of questions; since I am starting fresh, what is the best way to set up partitions? And, since there will soon be a new version of ubuntu out soon, should I wait and install it when it comes out, or should I wait for the first upgrade/patch?
Have never used ubuntu, but I am not too bad at tech stuff...cross my fingers, lol......

aheckler
April 12th, 2009, 05:48 PM
I would wait for the new version of Ubuntu to come out on the 23rd. Concerning your partitions, I would go about 50/50, excluding about 1GB for swap space.

surfed
April 12th, 2009, 06:01 PM
1 gb of swap is too much... he has 1.5gb of ram, why waste diskspace?

tofiluk
April 12th, 2009, 06:11 PM
i am using msi wind and i also had a dual boot xp/ubuntu. the set-up config of ubuntu only let me use at most 30gb of my hard disk (i don't know why).

nyway, i am using ubuntu 9.04 and it works fine. however, if you have doubts on your mind, maybe you can just wait for the stable release on the 23rd. hehehe... :D

phantomfj
April 12th, 2009, 07:27 PM
I guess I should clarify my question........Should I just do the fresh install of XP, then do the ubuntu thing, or is there a more preferred way? No idea what that might be, but since I'm starting from scratch, might as well do it the right way...........

cdizzle
April 12th, 2009, 07:30 PM
I've always had the best luck installing XP and then Linux. The bootloaders tend to work better this way. Also, you may have better luck if you set the windows partition size during the XP install as opposed to resizing it later during the Ubuntu install.

kjaada
April 12th, 2009, 07:40 PM
As Ubuntu will live with any Os and Windows has problems with any Os probably best to do XP first.I have just done the same thing with Ubuntu 9.04 alternate and all was trouble free.Note that 9.04 can use EXT4.On an old box similar to yours My XP boots in 1min 40 and 9.04 in 35 seconds.