PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to change X resolution from terminal screen?

dBuster
April 12th, 2009, 02:45 PM
Okay here is a good one. I spend a whole week working on my sisters computer and had just their tower hooked up to an old 15inch crt monitor and had it all setup and good to go. I take the tower back to their house, a good hours drive away and hook it all up and their monitor was a 15 inch lcd monitor. Well apparently the highest supported resolution on their monitor is 1024 x 768 and I have the x display, the gnome desktop, set higher than that. I believe I have 1152 x 862 or something like that.

I can still get to the tty screens and would like to change the screen resolution for the desktop without having to bring another monitor out to them. I tried to edit the xorg.conf files with gedit but that again did not work as I got some gtk error... Somehow or another I need to get it to come up easily... Hopefully something I can call out to them and walk them through over the phone...

I have searched and found something about xrandr, would this do the trick? There is so much out there to weed through and I am looking for the most simplistic way of doing this...
Thanks in advance for any help!