PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cant Install Ubuntu on Virtual PC

Fonzie2010
April 12th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Hi guys, I am new to the Ubuntu OS and i would very much like to try it out.

I downloaded an old PPC of Ubuntu 8.10, it was an alternate CD. I downloaded it, burned it to a disc, (kept the Iso). I opened Virtual PC and selected linux, UNIX, Unspecified, no matter what i choose i just doesnt seem to go.

all it says when the VPC starts is this.

Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device
Or Insert boot media in the selected Boot Device.

Yes I have put the CD in, what can i do?

0cton
April 12th, 2009, 02:05 PM
I am not familiar with Virtual PC but it means the virtual CD-rom witch can be linked to the real one
look into the options on media and stuff (It has a virtual cdrom there witch can be mounted or be related to the "real" cdrom)

Fonzie2010
April 12th, 2009, 02:26 PM
I start up VPC, Select Linux is my OS, it starts up and gives me that message.

I select the Iso, Nothing Happens, just gives me the message again (and yes i clicked reset computer)

I selected capture disc, and then reset, nothing happened.

I just made a new one with the disc inserted, and still nothing happened.

kpatz
April 12th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Check the boot order in the VPC's settings. Make sure it boots from the CD before the hard drive.

Fonzie2010
April 12th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Check the boot order in the VPC's settings. Make sure it boots from the CD before the hard drive.

How do i do that?

kpatz
April 13th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Select the virtual machine and click Settings. Then go to the Advanced tab. The boot order is at the top.

Change it so the CD/DVD drive is listed before the hard disk.

Also, make sure the ISO is mounted (from the CD/DVD option on the left side of the settings dialog).

Aubergines
April 13th, 2009, 02:18 PM
If you're struggling to solve this you can install virtualbox (http://www.virtualbox.org/), it's free open source software and is as good as any other similar targeted virtualisation product around if not better. Not really a solution on how to get it working on virtual PC but you'll find many more people who can help you if you run into problems with virtualbox

Fonzie2010
April 13th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Select the virtual machine and click Settings. Then go to the Advanced tab. The boot order is at the top.

Change it so the CD/DVD drive is listed before the hard disk.

Also, make sure the ISO is mounted (from the CD/DVD option on the left side of the settings dialog).

Im on a mac, and VPC 7 does not have those options.

And I am on Mac OS X 10.3 Panthers running a g4 PPC chip, so i cant use Virtual Box.