PDA

View Full Version : What Feature You Like In Your Distro

mrnotsure
April 12th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Debating which distro is better is like saying "Which is better? Splenda or Sugar?" Both have good and bad things about them(I hope that example was good:lolflag:).

So I decided to just ask what you guys like in your distro.

Okay, so your saying to yourself "What's this guy thinking, I want all of that!" of course everyone does, but just try to pick one, It might be hard but give yourself time to think heh.

Barrucadu
April 12th, 2009, 01:24 PM
I like my distros bleeding-edge. Mostly because new software tends to have new features, and I get bored of my software staying the same all the time :p
I also like to start out with a minimal command-line system and build up from there.

glotz
April 12th, 2009, 01:38 PM
I like freedom, so I chose Debian.

quanumphaze
April 12th, 2009, 01:38 PM
So far only 4 people have voted, all for cutting edge (probably other Arch users).

I like Arch because it is up to date with latest packages and the package manager is really fast and simple. I love KDEmod. And the makepkg/PKGBUILD/AUR thing makes compiling and installing obscure software not in the repo ridiculously easy.

But the very best thing is the Arch Wiki. It is very comprehensive and continually added to. It is even useful for users of other distros.
This should have been a multi-answer poll else I would have voted for documentation too.

Paqman
April 12th, 2009, 01:53 PM
I'm surprised to see so many on an Ubuntu forum voting for cutting-edge. I went for out-of-the-box support. I wouldn't use a distro if it did't install on my hardware. Life is too short for the hassle of trying to crowbar a distro onto a system it doesn't like.

Having said that, I use Intel hardware so that this isnt' ever an issue.

khelben1979
April 12th, 2009, 01:59 PM
My vote: stability.

SomeGuyDude
April 12th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Stable enough to work, but as cutting edge as it can be.

xir_
April 12th, 2009, 02:30 PM
i voted cutting edge. I like to play with cool features and see what is possible.

I also like to break linux.

Greg
April 12th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Other: Control, and rolling release.

Ascenti0n
April 12th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Everything U/B/Xbuntu offers + top commercial media apps

SomeGuyDude
April 12th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Other: Control, and rolling release.

This as well, especially rolling release. I never want to deal with a "system upgrade" again.

mrnotsure
April 12th, 2009, 03:08 PM
I choose stability.

unoodles
April 12th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Other: Freedom.
yet rather than using gnewsense, or debian, I chose ubuntu, because it is updated more frequently than debian. But 3 have removed non-free parts (i.e. linux-restriced-modules)

gnomeuser
April 12th, 2009, 03:56 PM
I like to see upstreamed solutions, it shows that you play well with others and strive towards superior design.

Investments in Free Software, there are plenty of holes to plug, I like the community I am part of to be part of plugging those holes

I need a good Mono stack, Mono cannot be the community punching bag.

I like to see a firm commitment to GNOME, it is my desktop of choice and where I go I want to see it treated with the utmost care.

Innovation, through upstream. While there are holes, we also need to bring something new to the table.

6 month cycle, I find that the highest quality comes from taking a little bite out of the problem and getting the code out there. Having a short loop between development and usage forces everyone to make workable solutions and design them to be deployed in small testable pieces. Landing huge life altering changes after years in development and no real world testing all in one go is the path to disaster.

Vision, it should not be about creating a great desktop or server. It should be about seeing where Linux can go and taking it there. Netbooks, phones, MIDs and all those little markets that emerge from interesting usage of technology. I want to be part of that.

Multiple architecture support, ix86 and x86_64 are nice and cover perhaps 90% of the market for a desktop linux currently but Linux is finding it's way to the phones and embedded devices, as well as classic embedded architectures finding their ways to new use cases such as netbooks and MIDs. We should see this coming and welcome them. This includes the ARM and MIPS architectures, and as a bonus doing so will reveal bugs which if fixed will benefit everyone.

An understanding of Free Software and a commitment to it.

swoll1980
April 12th, 2009, 04:22 PM
I like that my Distro isn't so old that it's boring, or so new that it has breaks.

cardinals_fan
April 12th, 2009, 05:28 PM
I was going to say updates, but since I'm the new security maintainer that struck me as a bit egotistical :)

Overall, I love the packaging tools in SliTaz. Tazwok just makes it so easy to create or update packages from the source. The distro also has a very simple design, which is great for me.

I also use NetBSD as my "get things done" system, just because it is relentlessly stable and reliable.

Eisenwinter
April 12th, 2009, 06:49 PM
I enjoy bleeding edge software.

poll should've been multi-choice.

Dedoimedo
April 12th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Stability, I'm German in spirit.
Dedoimedo

SuperSonic4
April 12th, 2009, 06:54 PM
So far only 4 people have voted, all for cutting edge (probably other Arch users).

I like Arch because it is up to date with latest packages and the package manager is really fast and simple. I love KDEmod. And the makepkg/PKGBUILD/AUR thing makes compiling and installing obscure software not in the repo ridiculously easy.

But the very best thing is the Arch Wiki. It is very comprehensive and continually added to. It is even useful for users of other distros.
This should have been a multi-answer poll else I would have voted for documentation too.

^ took the words out of my mouth

Also: default apps and the rolling release

Twitch6000
April 12th, 2009, 06:57 PM
Its hard to say... i like three things...

Stability,Out of the box support,and a great community.

Getting a distro that provides all three is not easy or even provides 2 of those...

kk0sse54
April 12th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Gives me a minimalistic base and let's me mold it into whatever I want to thus giving me ease of use and functionality through minimalism :). It also needs to be a reliable system since I don't have time during school to worry about thing X breaking in say Arch and then have to take the time to fix it. I also generally prefer to use BSD based OSs when possible.

sujoy
April 12th, 2009, 07:53 PM
cutting edge is important for me, i get all the hot dev tools as and when they hit release :) and well ease of use too.

arch takes care of both of these for me, but i guess if i had to choose, i'd choose the bleeding edge repos :D