PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Prove That Free Software Is Better for Video Editing!

DeadSuperHero
April 12th, 2009, 05:24 AM
Hi, everyone. I've fallen very much in love with KDEnlive and (K)Ubuntu. I use it nearly every day, and this has exposed to me really hone my skills when it comes to video editing.

I entered a popular contest sponsored by the Sanyo corporation, with the intent of showing off the power of Free Software video editing.

The rules of the contest were as follows:
-Explain why you should win the contest.
-Demonstrate it in under 15 seconds.

http://if.net/contests/general/1149661?cid=1376841 is where my entry is. It's the first video that plays.

I used overlaying visuals to demonstrate the merger of creativity, potential, and everyday life. The deeper message of this short video is that every human being has the potential to do whatever they put their mind to, as long as they set their sights on them.

If you could be so kind as to register on the site (it's a free profile), and vote for me every day until the contest ends (May 6th, I believe), I would really love that. I worked hard on this video, and I think it would be great to showcase Free Software in the viral/grassroots media.

Giant Speck
April 12th, 2009, 06:39 AM
I use Windows Movie Maker and Pinnacle Studio 11 to make videos.

I've used KDEnlive before, and it didn't feel right. If it has advanced any since I last used it, I might try it again.

kevin11951
April 12th, 2009, 06:41 AM

I've used KDEnlive before, and it didn't feel right. If it has advanced any since I last used it, I might try it again.

well, version .7 was a MAJOR leap! if you havent used it since before that, try it out now...

DeadSuperHero
April 12th, 2009, 06:48 PM
It really has come a long way. I absolutely love some of the features of the latest version, especially their integration of the "Get Hot New Stuff" dialog for filters. Hopefully there will be more plugins available for this.

Anyways, I'm making progress in the contest, my slot position is now: 241 out of 318. Considering I started at 317, this is a huge improvement.

SomeGuyDude
April 12th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Free better than commercial for video editing?

Sorry dude, no. Final Cut and Premiere are just light-years beyond anything FOSS has to offer right now.

Polygon
April 12th, 2009, 07:40 PM
i'll save you the trouble

no, free software is not better for video editing. sorry.

s3a
April 12th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Isn't cinelerra very close to premiere pro?

pwnst*r
April 12th, 2009, 07:56 PM

Sorry dude, no. Final Cut and Premiere are just light-years beyond anything FOSS has to offer right now.

^agreed.

Vadi
April 12th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Here's how it goes, worst to best:

oss linux video editing
commercial windows editing
commercial linux editing

... so unless you're a hollywood studio to afford the software they use, atm, it's a no go.

pitivi is a worthy contender to follow. kdenlive if you make friends with the interface.

bashveank
April 12th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Here's how it goes, worst to best:

oss linux video editing
commercial windows editing
commercial linux editing
commercial OS X editing

... so unless you're a hollywood studio to afford the software they use, atm, it's a no go.

pitivi is a worthy contender to follow. kdenlive if you make friends with the interface.

Fixed.

Final Cut Pro is the industry standard for a reason.

Vadi
April 12th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Don't consider your misquote valid from other things I've been reading.

bashveank
April 12th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Don't consider your misquote valid from other things I've been reading.

Well, again, there's a reason Final Cut is the industry standard. I've not heard of one studio using Linux software for video editing - perhaps rendering, but not editing.

SomeGuyDude
April 12th, 2009, 10:04 PM
Well, again, there's a reason Final Cut is the industry standard. I've not heard of one studio using Linux software for video editing - perhaps rendering, but not editing.

I know of many using Premiere and After Effects, but no one big time that uses Linux software. So I'd rank commercial Linux under commercial Windows.

bashveank
April 12th, 2009, 10:12 PM
I know of many using Premiere and After Effects, but no one big time that uses Linux software. So I'd rank commercial Linux under commercial Windows.

I would too, but I didn't know what commercial Linux software he was talking about. Thought it best to just make the one point.

lisati
April 12th, 2009, 10:13 PM

That's similar to what I use (v10 of Studio, "upgraded" online to Studio Plus v10.8 )

I haven't been comfortable (or satisfied) with the Ubuntu-friendly offerings that are available.

The copy of Vista that was preinstalled on one of my laptops even has a copy of "Windows DVD maker" - nice, but it seems a little unstable at times, and some of the menu themes only seem to work properly if you're using WMV files.

ghostandmachine
April 13th, 2009, 06:28 AM

+1

Only reason I still dual boot windowz if for video editing.

DeadSuperHero
April 13th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Like I said, you'd all be very surprised how useable Free Software video editors are today. I managed to create that little clip in less than an hour, with compositing, overlays, crossfades, speed changes, audio overlapping, and screen transitions.

For the non-professional, it's everything you really need.

swoll1980
April 13th, 2009, 05:31 PM
While your at it, find a way to prove that the Earth is flat, and that the universe revolves around it.

DeadSuperHero
April 14th, 2009, 06:03 AM
While your at it, find a way to prove that the Earth is flat, and that the universe revolves around it.

I don't have to prove that. Such arguments are pointless as we've got accurate scientific data depicting the earth as anything but flat, and we also have proof that the universe isn't geocentric.

However, you have no proof that Free Software video editors are inferior to proprietary ones. You may have deeply rooted opinions, but that's all you're ever going to get, lest you ever bother to try something different for a nice change of pace.

lisati
April 14th, 2009, 06:13 AM
... we've got accurate scientific data depicting the earth as anything but flat,...
All I need to do is look out the window: hills and the like everywhere!

bashveank
April 14th, 2009, 06:13 AM
I don't have to prove that. Such arguments are pointless as we've got accurate scientific data depicting the earth as anything but flat, and we also have proof that the universe isn't geocentric.

However, you have no proof that Free Software video editors are inferior to proprietary ones. You may have deeply rooted opinions, but that's all you're ever going to get, lest you ever bother to try something different for a nice change of pace.

Industry standard is enough for me.

DeadSuperHero
April 14th, 2009, 07:01 AM
Industry standard is enough for me.

Human creativity is enough for me.

hanzomon4
April 14th, 2009, 07:24 AM
I happen to go to a school where Final Cut Pro is part of our laptop package. Sadly it's true... Video editing in OSX with Final Cut is a joy. Maybe one day linux will get there, like it has with sound(and 3d animation?). But really it doesn't help to pump up a immature tech just because it's foss...