PDA

View Full Version : conspiracy theory

chris200x9
April 12th, 2009, 04:36 AM
I think microsoft is cleverly trying to kill linux on the desktop, ok get this [puts on tin foil hat] silverlight is microsoft's attempt to kill flash ok see here we have moonlight oh man microsoft is so sneaky working with novell to throw us off (you clever clever boy) so heres where it gets good moonlight is only 1.x branch of silverlight a new one will come anyday now oh yea I heard that before duke nukem forever anyone? back to microsoft trying to kill linux....I have never had moonlight work with ANYTHING they always tell me this content requires silverlight 2.x so it looks like they are trying to make it so linux cannot play anything on the web if/when they take over but working with novell to make blind linux users veiw them as "good guys" but I see through it you are lucky the genius that is me is here to enlighten you all.

Mehall
April 12th, 2009, 04:41 AM
Things take time, and the way Moonlight is being developed, the length of time it takes to go from Silverlight 2 to 3 in moonlight will be less than half as long as version 1 to 2.

Look at Gnash, it's taking ages, but progress is being made.

lisati
April 12th, 2009, 04:43 AM
It's up to us to choose the sites we visit. Some business owners are in the game just to make money, but without the customers, they'd be lost.

Kopachris
April 12th, 2009, 04:59 AM
Of course Microsoft is trying to kill Linux. Not just desktop Linux, but Linux period! Have you ever read any of the Halloween Documents? The first one reads just like a military intelligence report.

days_of_ruin
April 12th, 2009, 05:06 AM
I think microsoft is cleverly trying to kill linux on the desktop, ok get this [puts on tin foil hat] silverlight is microsoft's attempt to kill flash ok see here we have moonlight oh man microsoft is so sneaky working with novell to throw us off (you clever clever boy) so heres where it gets good moonlight is only 1.x branch of silverlight a new one will come anyday now oh yea I heard that before duke nukem forever anyone? back to microsoft trying to kill linux....I have never had moonlight work with ANYTHING they always tell me this content requires silverlight 2.x so it looks like they are trying to make it so linux cannot play anything on the web if/when they take over but working with novell to make blind linux users veiw them as "good guys" but I see through it you are lucky the genius that is me is here to enlighten you all.

to summarize:

Beware the moon(light)!

fdrake
April 13th, 2009, 06:56 AM
well if it's trying to kill linux. that would be really a poor attempt since 80-90% of interactive-web-site use adobe-flash and 20%(or more)uses java. It would end worst then it did in the search engine market against GOOGLE or encarta-vs-wikipedia. Flash and Java have been around for almost 10-15 years now, who in God would dare to go against this kind of Gigants? Not even Billy cold have the minimum chance. The only one who could kill linux is Adobe with its slow linux-based-flash releases.MFS!!!!

Eisenwinter
April 13th, 2009, 07:28 AM
Dude, ever heard of punctuation? God...

Giant Speck
April 13th, 2009, 07:30 AM

http://fc06.deviantart.com/fs31/f/2008/210/2/8/28f4605602f529989bbb62b7db4354b6.gif

alternatealias
April 13th, 2009, 03:54 PM
a new one will come anyday now oh yea I heard that before duke nukem forever anyone?

The difference between Moonlight and Duke Nukem Forever is that Moonlight is Free Software developed in public. So if you cared enough to look, you would see that Moonlight is under heavy development to reach a 2.0 working version.

Also, as someone else pointed out, your "theory" would only work if Silverlight was the dominant player in the 2D/MediaPlayer space on the web. But it's not. No doubt Microsoft would love it to be, but it's not and likely won't be anytime soon (if ever).

The Flash programming model targets artists/designers (e.g. people who are not first-and-foremost programmers) while Silverlight targets programmers.

The point is that each of these plugins targets a different set of developers. This means that some places are going to prefer Flash because they are mostly artists/designers w/o that aren't comfortable with the Silverlight programming model, and you'll have other places that are more comfortable with the Silverlight than Flash.

Just like there will always be people who prefer an SUV over a sedan and vice versa.

conundrumx
April 13th, 2009, 04:16 PM
If not for Netflix I don't think anyone would use Silverlight.

LowSky
April 13th, 2009, 04:53 PM
NBC put up the Olimpics online last year, and you needed Silverlight to watch them. you got to love that NBC and MSN were trying to make Silverlight into something awesome but I dont see the benefit to it versus Flash.

Sand & Mercury
April 13th, 2009, 06:02 PM
Silverlight is a mixed bag in my view.

On one hand, it's nice to see some competition spurring both sides to strive to make something better. On the other... well, as Linux users we're left totally out in the cold. AGAIN.

Moonlight is cute but it's about half as solid as the Windows implementation, if that.

Microsoft would want every competitor on the face of the planet dead. That's no conspiracy.

Paqman
April 13th, 2009, 07:26 PM
If not for Netflix I don't think anyone would use Silverlight.

Can't say i've bumped into it anywhere yet. Which is fine with me, I don't really see the point in it.

billgoldberg
April 13th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Can't say i've bumped into it anywhere yet. Which is fine with me, I don't really see the point in it.

I have, so I installed moonlight.

I turns out they were using version 2 or something and moonlight didn't work.

I can see the benefits (and disadvantages) silverlight has over flash, but sadly us linux users are lagging behind once again.

speedwell68
April 13th, 2009, 10:02 PM
I don't think Silverlight is going to make it. IMHO. I have moonlight installed, just to see what all the fuss is about, and so far I haven't found a website that requires Silverlight. Well not one I use anyway.