PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] newbie

bubbave3
April 12th, 2009, 04:22 AM
Hi everyone,
l am new to Linux. l have an older Emachine with a 700 mg processor currently running WindowsME. the RAM is 256 meg. My hope is to run this machine on Linux. l did download a copy of the Ubuntu dload and got lost there. l was able to burn the dload file to a formatted dvd disc on my vista laptop. When l inserted the dvd in the Emachine the file would not open. l did read about how it should loook like on the cd/dvd with folders and files and that is where l am stuck. l must not have read or am having a problem following the instructions. l did dlaod and install on this machine the free burn program to find out the dvd player is a player and not a burner, however, it will or should open the burned data if l correctly present it to this machine yes?
Any help in making this work would be a ppreciated. l am not concerned if l get a linux program that will replace windows iether so any help would be greast thanks
Pierre

cariboo
April 12th, 2009, 04:33 AM
You don't expand an iso image and then burn the files to a cd /dvd you have to burn it as an image file.

The last time I had to burn an iso image in Windows I used a program called ImgBurn (http://www.imgburn.com/).

Jim

ad_267
April 12th, 2009, 04:37 AM
What does the contents of the CD look like? If there is just the .iso file on the CD then yes you've done it wrong. If there are files and folders then you've done it right.

You have to make sure you select "burn image to disc" or something similar to burn the .iso image to the disc. What application did you use to burn the disc?

Once you have correctly burnt the disc you should be able to restart your computer with the disc in the drive to boot into Ubuntu and install it. You don't need to have a burner to be able to read the disc.

lisati
April 12th, 2009, 04:41 AM
What does the contents of the CD look like? If there is just the .iso file on the CD then yes you've done it wrong. If there are files and folders then you've done it right.

You have to make sure you select "burn image to disc" or something similar to burn the .iso image to the disc. What application did you use to burn the disc?

Once you have correctly burnt the disc you should be able to restart your computer with the disc in the drive to boot into Ubuntu and install it. You don't need to have a burner to be able to read the disc.

I'd suggest the OP have a look here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto

bubbave3
April 12th, 2009, 04:55 AM
I'd suggest the OP have a look here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto

hi.. the dload is the ubuntu 8.10-desktop-386..
l transferred the file to my laptop where l could burn it to a dvd as the 700 meg cd l had said it was short 2 meg to burn it. l realize now from reading this and the how to forum that l did it wrong. l will get this right sooner or later.. lol..l should maybe use my Nero 9 software in the nero express section and reburn the iso as an image and go from there l think.
thanks again

xelxel
April 12th, 2009, 07:41 AM
the cd is 2mb short of space to write the iso file? Never mind that, still give it a go. Usually works for me when it's such a small difference.