PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to install kismet for BCM43XX!!!!!!

reltx
April 12th, 2009, 02:14 AM
How do I install kismet on Ubuntu 8.10 on my dv6105ca. I have a BCM4311 card and I don't understand how the " ./configure" and "make" comands work. Can someone provide a complete n00b guide as to how to do this.

I already installed the drivers from the "How To: Broadcom BCM43xx" thread.

PLEASE HELP!

chili555
April 12th, 2009, 02:55 AM
Kismet is in the Ubuntu repositories and so there is no need to go through the agony of ./configure, make, etc. Simply open a terminal and do:
sudo apt-get install kismetThen, when you want to set up your /etc/kismet/kismet.conf, there is a nifty README:
less /usr/share/doc/kismet/README.gzYou will be especially interested in Sections 9 and 12 of the README. Post back if you need help.

reltx
April 12th, 2009, 04:03 PM
thnx

chaser469
August 13th, 2009, 02:49 PM
hi im a complete noob to ubuntu, and am pulling my hair out trying to get kismet up and running

' You will be especially interested in Sections 9 and 12 of the README. Post back if you need help. '

i am trying to configure kismet.conf.in. apparently i need to specify the: source, and suiduser.

eg. how do i specify the source from this:

*-network
description: Wireless interface
product: PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [Golan] Network Connection
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:0b:00.0
logical name: wmaster0
version: 02
serial: 00:18:de:db:68:65
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list logical ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=iwl3945 ip=192.168.1.100 latency=0 module=iwl3945 multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11abg
*-network
description: Ethernet interface
product: BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX
vendor: Broadcom Corporation
bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
logical name: eth0
version: 02
serial: 00:19:b9:4d:31:64
size: 10MB/s
capacity: 100MB/s
capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list ethernet physical mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=b44 driverversion=2.0 duplex=half latency=64 link=no module=ssb multicast=yes port=twisted pair speed=10MB/s
*-network DISABLED
description: Ethernet interface
physical id: 2
logical name: pan0
serial: 12:a5:b8:f3:0b:d2
capabilities: ethernet physical
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=bridge driverversion=2.3 firmware=N/A link=yes multicast=yes

what exactly do i need to change the in the kismet.conf.in file and to what exactly.
please, any help would be greatly appreciated.

chili555
August 15th, 2009, 12:56 AM
The suiduser is your regular user name. Here are the relevant sections from my kismet.conf:
# User to setid to (should be your normal user)
suiduser=chiliAnd, also:
# YOU MUST CHANGE THIS TO BE THE SOURCE YOU WANT TO USE
source=ipw3945,wlan0,IntelPlease post back if you have more questions.

governorphd
September 17th, 2009, 03:37 PM
I've installed Kismet, changed the kismet.conf. Now, How do I start kismet?
Or, where is it?

governorphd
September 17th, 2009, 04:31 PM
How do I insure that Kismet is installed correctly?
I'm trying to start it with Terminal, and I get 'suid priv-dropping disabled'
In Kismet.conf, I use my user name that I use to log on to Ubuntu, Is that correct?
Kismet needs to have root access. The README file says use 'make install' to grant this. But on the forums, most say use 'sudo apt-get install kismet' , which is how I installed Kismet. does doing it this way grant root access?

Also, my kismet.conf file is not in the default place, it's in /etc/kismet/kismet.conf
Is this a problem?
As behind as I may seem, this is still very fascinating to me. I hope I can get this to work!
Thanks in advance.

governorphd
September 17th, 2009, 04:35 PM
How do I insure that Kismet is installed correctly?
In Kismet.conf, I use my user name that I use to log on to Ubuntu, Is that correct?
Kismet needs to have root access. The README file says use 'make install' to grant this. But on the forums, most say use 'sudo apt-get install kismet' , which is how I installed Kismet. does doing it this way grant root access?

Also, my kismet.conf file is not in the default place, it's in /etc/kismet/kismet.conf
Is this a problem?
As behind as I may seem, this is still very fascinating to me. I hope I can get this to work!
Thanks in advance.
http://ubuntuforums.org/images/statusicon/user_online.gif http://ubuntuforums.org/images/buttons/report.gif (http://ubuntuforums.org/report.php?p=7964137) http://ubuntuforums.org/images/misc/progress.gif http://ubuntuforums.org/images/buttons/edit.gif (http://ubuntuforums.org/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=7964137)

chili555
September 17th, 2009, 06:05 PM
I've installed Kismet, changed the kismet.conf. Now, How do I start kismet?
Or, where is it?Open a terminal and do:
sudo kismetPost back if you get stuck.

chili555
September 17th, 2009, 07:38 PM
How do I insure that Kismet is installed correctly?Well, if it starts and runs and sees networks, it's installed correctly.

In Kismet.conf, I use my user name that I use to log on to Ubuntu, Is that correct?Yes. Can we please see that section of your kismet.conf?

Kismet needs to have root access. The README file says use 'make install' to grant this. But on the forums, most say use 'sudo apt-get install kismet' , which is how I installed Kismet. does doing it this way grant root access? Not entirely. Start it with:
sudo kismet
Is this a problem?I believe this is the default location for Ubuntu.
As behind as I may seem, this is still very fascinating to me. I hope I can get this to work! Thanks in advance.Post back if you need more help.

governorphd
September 18th, 2009, 02:03 AM
In a terminal I used:
sudo kismet

Here's what I get:

Launching kismet_server: //usr/bin/kismet_server
Suid priv-dropping disabled. This may not be secure.
No specific sources given to be enabled, all will be enabled.
Non-RFMon VAPs will be destroyed on multi-vap interfaces (ie, madwifi-ng)
Enabling channel hopping.
Enabling channel splitting.
NOTICE: Disabling channel hopping, no enabled sources are able to change channel.
Source 0 (Broadcom): Enabling monitor mode for b43legacy source interface eth1 channel 6...
FATAL: Failed to set monitor mode: Invalid argument. This usually means your drivers either do not support monitor mode, or use a different mechanism for getting to it. Make sure you have a version of your drivers that support monitor mode, and consult the troubleshooting section of the README.
Done.

README file says to patch the drivers. How do I do this?

It also says to make sure that there are no copies of the drivers in /lib/modules/kern-version/ directory.
There are 2 directories in /lib/modules, 2.6.27.7.generic and 2.6.28-15-generic.

Question: Are these what is meant by 'kern-version? Should they both be there?

Here is how I set my kismet.conf file:

# User to setid to (should be your normal user)
suiduser=governor

source=b43legacy,eth1,Broadcom

Is this correct?

When I go to System-Administration-Hardware Drivers,
There is one driver listed that is enabled: 'Broadcom STA wireless driver'

What are b43 and b43legacy? The Capture Sources section of the README file says
to use one of these.

When I look at wireless connection information it says:
Interface: 802.11 wifi (eth1)
Driver: wl
Security: WEP

This is where I'm at, and what I'm working with, along with the fact that I'm using a Compaq Presario running Ubuntu 9.04.
The wirless card and driver are working, I'm online. It's just that I want to run Kismet, and can't yet.
Also now that I know how to start it, even though it isn't working yet, afterwards my browsers stops working. I can't navigate to another page after trying to start kismet?

Wow! I hope you can help me.

chili555
September 18th, 2009, 06:35 PM
source=b43legacy,eth1,BroadcomWell, it's not correct if the driver you are actually using is wl. Kismet needs monitor mode in order to operate. Not all cards will go into monitor mode, however. I suspect yours, using wl, is one of them. Let's try:
sudo ifconfig eth1 down
sudo iwconfig eth1 mode monitorAny errors or complaints? You can confirm if it went into monitor mode with:
sudo iwconfig eth1We need to get this determined before we can fix (maybe) Kismet.

governorphd
September 19th, 2009, 05:03 PM
No luck, I got errors.
Reading the forums it seems that this STA driver will not go into monitor mode.
I should download and intall the b43 driver, 32 bit for my card.
That is where I'm at now. I think I have found where to download this driver, now I am going to try to install it now.

Question: If I'm asked what kernel version I'm using, how do I answer this?
I have in my /lib/modules directory, 2 folders: 2.6.27-7-generic and 2.6.28-15-generic.
What are these? Are they kernel versions? Which one should I be using?

Also, if I'm successful in downloading the driver, shouldn't I see it in System-Administration-Hardward Drivers?

Thanks for getting back to me, I'll keep you posted on my progress, which is slow, but advancing.

chili555
September 19th, 2009, 06:01 PM
I should download and intall the b43 driver, 32 bit for my card.
That is where I'm at now. I think I have found where to download this driver, now I am going to try to install it now.It should be in your system now. Please do:
sudo updatedb
locate b43.koThis will take a few moments; please be patient.
If I'm asked what kernel version I'm using, how do I answer this?You can do:
uname -rOrdinarily, the boot process will automagically boot the newest kernel, which is what you want. It helps to have an older kernel on the system so that if you experiment so much that your system won't even run properly, you can interrupt the boot process at the GRUB menu and boot into your older, working kernel.

Off topic, that safety net has not yet been announced for Windows 7, I guess...

Let's see if we can use b43. Please do:
sudo rmmod -f wl
sudo modprobe b43 ssb
iwconfigDid b43 attach to your card? You can tell if you have a wireless interface; it may be wlan0 instead of eth1.

governorphd
September 19th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Here's my results:

governor@ubuntu:~$ uname -r
2.6.28-15-generic

governor@ubuntu:~$ locate b43.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.27-7-generic/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/b43/b43.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.28-15-generic/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/b43/b43.ko

governor@ubuntu:~$ sudo modprobe b43 ssb
FATAL: Error inserting b43 (/lib/modules/2.6.28-15-generic/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/b43/b43.ko):
Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

I looked at the results of dmesg, and that was scary! Not sure what to do now.
Also, removing the wl driver took me offline.
So, I went to Sys-Admin-Hardware Drivers, and b43 was there!
I activated it, and BAM, back on line!
So now I have the b43 driver!!

So now I will try to insert it again.

It worked, I think, at least no error messages after I did sudo modprobe b43 ssb.

Then I did iwconfig:

governor@ubuntu:~$ iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

pan0 no wireless extensions.

wmaster0 no wireless extensions.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11bg ESSID:"9IY75"
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.462 GHz Access Point: 00:1F:90:CB:AE:24
Bit Rate=1 Mb/s Tx-Power=20 dBm
Retry min limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr=2352 B
Power Management:off
Link Quality=78/100 Signal level:-55 dBm Noise level=-68 dBm
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

You said that my interface may have changed, so I looked at the b43 driver connection info, and it did change to wlan0.
So I edited the kismet.conf file with; source=b43,interface=wlan0,Broadcom

I then did: sudo kismet

and...................DAMN! YOU ARE GOOD! IT WORKS!!!!
Thanks for hanging in there.
Of course I don't have a clue how to use kismet. But the first step is done. It works!!!
Thanks again. I appreciate your time and efforts, and especially, your patience!

chili555
September 19th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Whoa! Slow down a bit, there Guv...What is going to load up again upon reboot? You might try rebooting and see if you have eth1 or wlan0. If it is wlan0, then you are all set, if not, we need to take some remedial steps. Please do:
sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.confAdd a single line:
wlProofread, save and close. Then do:
sudo gedit /etc/modulesAdd two lines:
b43
ssbProofread, save and close. Now when you boot, the proper modules should load.

Good luck and have fun!

governorphd
September 20th, 2009, 02:39 AM
How should I verify that I am using wlan0 now instead of eth1?
After rebooting the connection info says interface is wlan0.

I lso did:
sudo lshw -C network (after rebooting and here are the results:)

*-network
description: Network controller
product: BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN
vendor: Broadcom Corporation
bus info: pci@0000:06:00.0
version: 01
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=b43-pci-bridge latency=0 module=ssb

I think we did it. If so, then the lines that may need to be added to blacklist and module files should already be there? I will check them now.

chili555
September 20th, 2009, 02:58 AM
I think we did it.I agree.
the lines that may need to be added to blacklist and module files should already be there?Not unless you put them there, but it really doesn't matter if it works correctly at boot. No need to fix what isn't broken. As long as it works correctly, there is no need to add anything.

governorphd
September 20th, 2009, 03:03 AM
Network works fine, and kismet is now working. any suggestions on a good 'How to' for kismet?
Also, there is one problem, I think. When I start kismet, afterwards, I cannot use load any new pages with firefox? The network still works, I can go backwards, but I must reboot to be able to load any new pages. Is this normal for after using kismet?

chili555
September 20th, 2009, 03:34 PM
You are only able to backwards because you are no longer connected! Kismet puts your wireless card into monitor mode. In order to access the network, it needs to be in managed mode. Some cards work fine, some don't. Yours needs an extra step. First, bring the interface down:
sudo ifconfig wlan0 downNow put the card back in managed mode:
sudo iwconfig wlan0 mode managedBring the interface back up:
sudo ifconfig wlan0 upSome cards seem to respond better to:
sudo ifdown wlan0
sudo iwconfig wlan0 mode managed
sudo ifup wlan0
any suggestions on a good 'How to' for kismet?Not any other than the README which is scant and assumes you know already! I just played with it and read the pop-up menus (press h).

I think it's a tool used by password crackers, which I do not endorse. They always justify it by explaining that they want to audit the security of their own network. I say that if you have all unnecessary ports closed, WPA2 with a strong password and both a hardware firewall (in the router) and a software firewall (in the computer) then they already have done all they can reasonably do. A determined hacker will, eventually, get in if he tries hard enough and long enough. However, as you will see when you play with Kismet a bit, there are plenty of WEP or completely unencrypted networks on your very block! The hackers will usually move on to one of those. End rant.

I have used it a few times at motels, coffee shops and my wife's doctor's office to see if I can easily locate a guest access point without encryption.

governorphd
September 20th, 2009, 04:22 PM
You know, I piddled around and realized that I wasn't connected. And I went back thru my notes and tried the command to take the network down. It didn't work because I used iwconfig, instead of ifconfig wlan0 down. So, when you spell things correctly they tend to work so much better.

And as far as hacking, I respect people and their property, becuase I would hope to get the same back. Although I would like to be able to see if I can get online when traveling. Just to see if I can do it, without causing anybody any harm.

Actually, this is my first laptop, and I am just fascinated with the all this computing power being portable! This is a great new toy! And I'm glad I chose Ubuntu for an OS. It was made for me. I like trying new things, especially, programs. Kismet was a challenge, but thanks to you, and this forum, and persistance, I got it working.

But more important, I learned a hell of a lot about Ubuntu. I'm hooked! Thanks again!
I came, I saw, I Ubuntu!!!!