PDA

View Full Version : Linux Mint 6

crapple
April 12th, 2009, 12:12 AM
I am considering trying linux mint. I was wondering if anyone can tell me how it compares to ubuntu, I know it is ubuntu based. Also can you get support for mint on the ubuntu forums?

speedwell68
April 12th, 2009, 12:16 AM
I am considering trying linux mint. I was wondering if anyone can tell me how it compares to ubuntu, I know it is ubuntu based. Also can you get support for mint on the ubuntu forums?

It is basically Ubuntu with a few extras. Different default themes, pre-installed restricted extras, different menu system, a few different apps. I always recommend it for noobs.

Mehall
April 12th, 2009, 12:16 AM
It has the restricted-extras by default, a couple of tools, which mostly are:

mintmenu - Same as openSUSE has (and maybe only in the KDE version)
and a dumbed-down synaptic.

and some nice art. That I would change the moment I installed. Nice art nonetheless.

swoll1980
April 12th, 2009, 12:17 AM

If your using ubuntu, and you already have your codecs installed there's really no sense in it, but I would say try as many distros as you can, then stick with the one you like. They're free.

Twitch6000
April 12th, 2009, 12:20 AM
It has the restricted-extras by default, a couple of tools, which mostly are:

mintmenu - Same as openSUSE has (and maybe only in the KDE version)
and a dumbed-down synaptic.

and some nice art. That I would change the moment I installed. Nice art nonetheless.

Uhmm have you even seen the opensuse kde menu?

The Mint Menu and OpenSuse kde menu are for sure not alike...

Anyways @op if you want a easier to use distro then sure use mint.

If you do need need something easier to use I wouldn't suggest using it.

Sealbhach
April 12th, 2009, 12:22 AM
Not really worth it if you already know Ubuntu well, imho.

Mehall
April 12th, 2009, 12:28 AM
Uhmm have you even seen the opensuse kde menu?

The Mint Menu and OpenSuse kde menu are for sure not alike...

Anyways @op if you want a easier to use distro then sure use mint.

If you do need need something easier to use I wouldn't suggest using it.

maybe it's not SUSE, but I definitely remember a similar menu.

Twitch6000
April 12th, 2009, 12:30 AM
maybe it's not SUSE, but I definitely remember a similar menu.

Probably the slab menu or whatever it is called.

Zero Prime
April 12th, 2009, 12:42 AM
It's a great distro. The best thing I can say to do is try it. If you like it, keep it. If not, then ditch it.

I-75
April 12th, 2009, 01:58 AM
It it great for the "out of the box" experience. I first tried Mint going back to version 3. Mint is a Great Distro.

Basically it is Ubuntu redone with the codecs already installed and has some other variations compared to Ubuntu. Mint 6 gave me video tearing but Ubuntu didn't. Why? I haven't a clue. But I use 8.10 with no issues.

BTW Mint has its own community and now even its own podcasts.

I think this thread will end up in the reoccurring forum. It is a good question, but it comes up frequently in the Cafe.

kaibob
April 12th, 2009, 02:16 AM
There is a link to a short but informative review of Linux Mint in the following thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1122685&highlight=linux+mint

Loetje
April 12th, 2009, 04:46 PM
I just installed linux mint 6 and i like it that everything works right away.
I do think that the forum community is less active. Posting a question in the ubuntu forum usually generates several answers within a few hours. This is not the case for the linux mint forums