PDA

View Full Version : What articles would you like to read about Ubuntu?

mercmobily
January 4th, 2006, 07:16 AM
Hello,

At Free Software Magazine (http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com), we are dedicating a whole section of the magazine to Ubuntu. Every article is free (as in freedom!). So, they will probably end up in the Ubuntu wiki, after professional editing.

The first question I ought to ask is: what articles would you like to see published? What's missing out there? I am inclined to assign articles that explain how to *use* Ubuntu, using the command line as little as possible. What do you think?

And... we are also looking for authors - see this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=112244 . If you are interested in writing, please let us know!

Merc.

bored2k
January 4th, 2006, 07:32 AM
what articles would you like to see published? What's missing out there?Me being the one that mistakenly jailed your thread (sorry :-s) , I'll start.

I'd like to see some decent reading on what is missing on Ubuntu, why is it missing and how to get it. The reason I think that would be a good article is because a lot of the people starting to use Ubuntu (both Linux first timers and seasoned users) repeatedly ask this question over and over. Why only one CD? Why is there vital stuff missing in it (for me vital might be pre-installed build-essential, for others might be propietary codecs)?

Note: I do know the answer to these questions, but a lot of people don't. Even distrowatch writers fail to understand (http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20051219#2) the reason behind Ubuntu's minimalistic approach.

poofyhairguy
January 4th, 2006, 07:45 AM
Edubuntu.

If you are going to write about Ubuntu, you have to mention Edubuntu. There are many schools in the world that need that today, yet do not know it exists.

mercmobily
January 4th, 2006, 01:26 PM
Hi,

Me being the one that mistakenly jailed your thread (sorry :-s) , I'll start.

I'd like to see some decent reading on what is missing on Ubuntu, why is it missing and how to get it. The reason I think that would be a good article is because a lot of the people starting to use Ubuntu (both Linux first timers and seasoned users) repeatedly ask this question over and over. Why only one CD? Why is there vital stuff missing in it (for me vital might be pre-installed build-essential, for others might be propietary codecs)?

I think it's an excellent idea. This is the same problem Dave had when he installed Ubuntu. So, it makes a lot of sense.
Something like:

* I installed Ubuntu. Now what?
- Getting all of the codecs
- Get a good DVD player
- Get Java working
- ...? What else to users normally miss?

It's all easy stuff, but if you don't know...

For each thing, the article could explain how to get it (it should all come straight from Synaptic, I assume) and WHY getting it (sometimes it's obvious, but for example with Java it's not *as* obvious).

I am still hunting for authors who are willing to write about Ubuntu. I need 5 semi/committed ones! Watch me:

[Merc browse the net desperately looking for semi-committed authors]

You see? :-D

Merc.