PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I/O error

fitzy4144
April 11th, 2009, 06:30 PM
I have received this message while trying to test Ubuntu 8.10 on two different machines. (desktop,XP,Hp,newasof2007/Laptop,Win2000,dell,newasof1988 ). Both machines will get me to menu but stop at the same point and ask me if I want to reboot. What do I do to get around this?

Fitz

Herman
April 11th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Take a good look at your CD or DVD and check it for scratches.

Try wiping your CD gently with a soft cloth or tissue (kleenex) dipped in methylated spirits (denatured alcohol).
Stroke from the center towards the edge in a straight line, never around in circles.
Be careful how you handle your CDs or DVDs, pick them up and hold them either by the hole in the center or with your fingers on the outside edge, not on the disc surface.
Always place them in a CD box right away when not in use, never on a desk or shelf.

You might also have a dirty or malfunctioning CD drive, here's a link about how to clean your CD/DVD drive lens, Cleaning the optical drive (http://mywebsite.bigpond.net.au/dfelderh/p27.html).

fitzy4144
April 11th, 2009, 08:20 PM
I tried with a different disc and the same problem arose w/ no scratches vissable. Thanks though :)

Fitz