PDA

View Full Version : Great big battery test, distro vs distro, DE vs DE

SomeGuyDude
April 11th, 2009, 06:10 PM
http://carstenbjensen.com/en/articles/linux-distro-battery-test.html

Anyone seen this? I was REALLY surprised, and slightly confused (how is Arch with LXDE better on battery than straight Openbox? LXDE uses Openbox...).

MaxIBoy
April 11th, 2009, 06:34 PM
http://carstenbjensen.com/en/articles/linux-distro-battery-test.html

Anyone seen this? I was REALLY surprised, and slightly confused (how is Arch with LXDE better on battery than straight Openbox? LXDE uses Openbox...).I thought LXDE used fluxbox? Maybe LXDE has some built-in battery-otimizing code...

swoll1980
April 11th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Why would Arch kill a battery that fast?

BuffaloX
April 11th, 2009, 06:49 PM
It's all very confusing, especially the conclusion.

SomeGuyDude
April 11th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Why would Arch kill a battery that fast?

Yeah I'm wondering that, too. It's very strange.

hessiess
April 11th, 2009, 08:52 PM
The biggist improvement to battery life that I have managed to acheve was by locking the CPU in its lowist clock speed, which added around 2 hours to the bettery life.

Seing as Arch is configured manually, bad battey life == bad configuration.

binbash
April 11th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Crap page and comparasion since arch and gentoo are config based distros and configuration is everything at battery life.What configuration did they use?You don't know.It is just amateur job , that is all

SomeGuyDude
April 11th, 2009, 09:12 PM
The biggist improvement to battery life that I have managed to acheve was by locking the CPU in its lowist clock speed, which added around 2 hours to the bettery life.

Seing as Arch is configured manually, bad battey life == bad configuration.

Funny thing: up to now I was getting about 90 seconds per % of battery life (done by the incredibly unscientific method of having a flash-page stopwatch counting until my conky showed a drop). A simple installation of powertop/laptop-mode and suddenly, gasp, I'm getting 150 seconds per %. Went from 2.5 hours estimated to 4.1 hours estimated. And this battery's not exactly fresh.