PDA

View Full Version : OpenArena? Has anybody played it?

dragos240
April 11th, 2009, 05:11 PM
I just downloaded it from the repositories. IT IS AWESOME!! But I really bite at it, it's a fps (first person shooter, not frames per second) for linux, and it's open source, what could be better? It's pretty hard though...

kevin11951
April 11th, 2009, 05:47 PM
I just downloaded it from the repositories. IT IS AWESOME!! But I really bite at it, it's a fps (first person shooter, not frames per second) for linux, and it's open source, what could be better? It's pretty hard though...

its very fun... i love that game, but unfortunately im alone in this love at my school.

Sealbhach
April 11th, 2009, 05:55 PM
I've been playing Urban Terror - which is really good fun. The only trouble with it is there's no Punkbuster so it relies on admins to look for haxx.

In fact, I've stopped playing it because I got sick of emtying a full magazine into an opponent and they run off without any apparent damage after killing me with one shot. Kind of ruins the fun when people cheat.

I've just bought Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare so I'm having a go at getting it running in Wine. It's got Platinum and Gold ratings so I have high hopes.

thegreenblob
April 11th, 2009, 05:58 PM
I love Open Arena. I tend to play it A LOT and then stop for awhile and then repeat. lol. Right now I haven't been playing it a lot because I've been kind of hooked to Frets on Fire. :P

dragos240
April 11th, 2009, 05:58 PM
its very fun... i love that game, but unfortunately im alone in this love at my school.

perhaps they never heard of openarena..... that is a possibility.

NightwishFan
April 11th, 2009, 06:00 PM
OpenArena was fun, I used to play Urban Terror online as well, I was fairly good. (I am the guy you think is cheating but I do not, on my honor!)

Sealbhach
April 11th, 2009, 06:06 PM
OpenArena was fun, I used to play Urban Terror online as well, I was fairly good. (I am the guy you think is cheating but I do not, on my honor!)

Is there a health hack or something in UT? Because even at point blank range my bullets did hardly any damge to some players (and only some players). I know there are good players that can dodge and weave and that's OK, but it's happened too many times with players who are not even moving.

Nexuiz is also really good, and some players are really highly skilled, but they're very rude to noobs.

kevin11951
April 11th, 2009, 06:07 PM
perhaps they never heard of openarena..... that is a possibility.

no, the main "game kid" that everyone follows (ya, its weird) dosent like it because its "hippie, open source crap".

wildman4god
April 11th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Its pretty much a Quake III clone, but of all the open source FPS its my favorite because it has an easy to configure sing player mode, other FPS in Linux is hard to configure an easy, single player mode (I kinda suck at games need an easy mode to start practicing and need single player because for now my schools network blocks all ports except http and a few others, we can't even chat here).

NightwishFan
April 11th, 2009, 06:11 PM
I have noticed people that can see through walls, and those that have autoaim. (Which basically is a massacre when they use AK47 ;))

Mehall
April 11th, 2009, 06:16 PM
Urban Terror does have it's problems with hackers :/

I just go for servers I know, like INX Gaming, Multiplay.co.uk, and the best server: "Urban Terror for Atheists", but it's always full these days =[

Sealbhach
April 11th, 2009, 06:42 PM
The 95th Rifles were mostly OK, but Nitroservers was full of aimbots and wallhacks. Very annoying.

I don't think I've tried Open Arena and interesting about the single player mode.

Northsider
April 11th, 2009, 06:52 PM
I love FPS games...but I just cannot get into Urban Terror and Open Area. They just seem to be lacking something...

dragos240
April 11th, 2009, 07:17 PM
no, the main "game kid" that everyone follows (ya, its weird) dosent like it because its "hippie, open source crap".

Thats the stupidest excuse i've ever heard! Open source entitles you to edit the game all you want. What an idiot....

Sealbhach
April 11th, 2009, 07:22 PM

That Communists play because they hate America, yeah?:rolleyes:

CharmyBee
April 11th, 2009, 07:38 PM
I thought it was weird. The animations are very stiff, alot of sounds are lacking (most of the women sound like eachother) and the weapon sounds are just awful. It's also sluggish :/ and has too racy attire (the only FOSS game with such costumes?)
i'll stick to q3 for now

WalmartSniperLX
April 11th, 2009, 07:41 PM
I played OpenArena a while back in the past. I remember it was a blast, but then I stopped for some reason. Since then I really got into Tremulous and, most of all, Urban Terror. Nexuiz is cool too but I couldn't seem to do well in that one.

I think im going to dl OA again and give it a run ;)

smartboyathome
April 11th, 2009, 08:27 PM
I have it installed on my comp, but I mostly play tremulous. Gotta love eating humans and killing insectoids. ;)

Twitch6000
April 11th, 2009, 08:37 PM
I am a urban terror player =D.

Heck I was playing with Clem from the mint forums the other day and he beat the crud out of me =[.

Oh and for the people have trouble with hackers and such,if you have quake three run urban terror off of quake 3 you can then use punkbuster.

Or just use servers you know are safe like the paladins severs ;),

pwnst*r
April 11th, 2009, 09:00 PM
q3live ftw :)

Sealbhach
April 11th, 2009, 10:21 PM
I've got Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare working fine in Jaunty... the single player anyway. So, will be spending time on that 4 a while.:p

RaiCoss
April 11th, 2009, 10:26 PM
It sucks!!!
Cheap heartless Quak3 clone!!

will1911a1
April 11th, 2009, 10:29 PM
I tried it but didn't care much for it. I'm too preoccupied with Dwarf Fortress and Wesnoth anyway. :(

speedwell68
April 11th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Open Arena was entertaining for a day or so, very easy to complete.

dragos240
April 11th, 2009, 10:36 PM
It sucks!!!
Cheap heartless Quak3 clone!!

Take it easy.... it's just a game...

Sealbhach
April 11th, 2009, 10:43 PM
World of Padman ftw!!

Cute graphics anyway.

Mehall
April 11th, 2009, 10:45 PM
Open Arena was entertaining for a day or so, very easy to complete.

How do you "complete" an online FPS?

0.o

collinp
April 11th, 2009, 10:53 PM
I like Tremulous or Nexuiz much more than OpenArena. It is a good game, its just easy.

pwnst*r
April 11th, 2009, 10:53 PM
lol, good question.

kevin11951
April 11th, 2009, 10:56 PM
How do you "complete" an online FPS?

0.o

he probably means the single player campaign, where you play each map until they have all been played.

speedwell68
April 11th, 2009, 11:05 PM
he probably means the single player campaign, where you play each map until they have all been played.

That about sums it up. Most online play is full of cheats and hacks anyway.

pwnst*r
April 12th, 2009, 03:03 AM
That about sums it up. Most online play is full of cheats and hacks anyway.

most? lol no.

MaxIBoy
April 12th, 2009, 05:35 AM
I've played it before. I wasn't terribly impressed.

The only reason to play it at all is because it's easy to play with one hand on the arrow keys, switched to the gauntlet, with a fishing weight or other heavy object on the "fire" key. 'Nuff said.

JECHO
April 12th, 2009, 05:59 AM
nexuiz is my favorite

MikeTheC
April 12th, 2009, 06:06 AM
I'm thrilled that the F/OSS community has this stuff for it. However, I learned a long time ago that I don't belong anwhere near any such stuff. I haven't the reflexes nor the mentality for any of it. FPSs, MMORPGs, flight sims... any of it...

MaxIBoy
April 12th, 2009, 07:32 AM
I'm thrilled that the F/OSS community has this stuff for it. However, I learned a long time ago that I don't belong anwhere near any such stuff. I haven't the reflexes nor the mentality for any of it. FPSs, MMORPGs, flight sims... any of it...What?

WalmartSniperLX
April 13th, 2009, 03:40 AM
Ok honestly I did what I said I would do:

Reinstall openarena and give it another shot. I actually find this game really fun and entertaining (against the AI at least). I remember the cheaters from before, and don't really feel like going online lol. But, considering my machine and how old it is, and that im limited on FPS shooters due to my hardware, I enjoy OA. :popcorn:

kk0sse54
April 13th, 2009, 03:49 AM
OpenArena? Has anybody played it?

I have and quite frankly I thought it was terrible

RichardLinx
April 13th, 2009, 04:48 AM
Nezuiz 2.5 > OpenArena
AssaultCube > OpenArena

If anything I'm not a very big fan of OpenArena, it's not that it's a bad game but in comparison to some of the other opensource FPS games it doesn't match up.

dragos240
April 14th, 2009, 12:23 AM
What?

MMORPGS:
Massively multiplayer online role playing games, like world of warcraft and runescape.

MaxIBoy
April 14th, 2009, 02:40 AM
Yeah, I know that. What threw me off was when you said you didn't have enough skill to play them.

Rule of thumb: never say "skill" and MMORPG in the same sentence.

NightwishFan
April 14th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Any game could improve! If anything throw Open Arena some ideas!

dragos240
April 14th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Yeah, I know that. What threw me off was when you said you didn't have enough skill to play them.

Rule of thumb: never say "skill" and MMORPG in the same sentence.

+1

There is no skill involved with MMORPGS.

NightwishFan
April 15th, 2009, 04:08 PM
That kinda seems rude.. There is no skill in any game except Starcraft, about equally as true, and as rude. ):P

WitchCraft
April 28th, 2009, 12:33 PM
OpenArena has the same problem with cheats as UrbanTerror.
However, cheats are not that rampant...

I think I should port my UrT aimbot to OpenArena ;-)

Regards ' All'

:lolflag:

dragos240
April 28th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Wow this thread is still going. I thought that this ended long ago.

MaxIBoy
April 28th, 2009, 08:02 PM
That kinda seems rude.. There is no skill in any game except Starcraft, about equally as true, and as rude. ):PI would argue that the amount of skill in games has steadily decreased (with a few isolated high points) since Quake 3.

pwnst*r
April 28th, 2009, 08:06 PM
I would argue that the amount of skill in games has steadily decreased (with a few isolated high points) since Quake 3.

Q3 is king. hooray for QuakeLive

MaxIBoy
April 28th, 2009, 08:40 PM
I've tried Quake Live, and I can tell you that the ioQ3 engine feels more responsive. Also, you can't mod Quake Live.

pwnst*r
April 28th, 2009, 08:53 PM
I've tried Quake Live, and I can tell you that the ioQ3 engine feels more responsive. Also, you can't mod Quake Live.

more responsive? no.

but, i've heard mods are coming. if not, that's okay, i still have my retail cd.

NightwishFan
April 29th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Honestly I feel that games are declining as well... For instance..

RTS:
Starcraft: You can play seriously and almost full time for years and still get crushed to the point where you want to quit.

BFME2: You need to click 6 times a minute to win a match.

RPG:
Arcanum: The game takes wit and patience, and has an excellent storyline.

Oblivion: An arrow points you to where you need to do something obvious and apparent.

FPS:
Perfect Dark: Nuff said

Gears Of War: You don't have a health bar.

I wont go into more detail.