PDA

View Full Version : Car giant use linux :D

markp1989
April 11th, 2009, 03:49 PM
to day i went to car giant to look at a few cars with my mate.

when i was at reception desk, i noticed that all of the computers there were running xubuntu :D

its the fist place i have seen using linux . so it made me quite happy to see it :d

MikeTheC
April 11th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Glad to hear that. Nice to know some company is trying to protect its tech assets.

BuffaloX
April 11th, 2009, 04:04 PM
I have yet to see Linux outside the circle of friends and family.

But the other day I saw an advertisement for a Linux Netbook, which is the first time ever I've seen anything commercially advertised with Linux.

Invincible23
April 11th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Recession is forcing once deep pocketed industrial giants to switch to linux. At times some pain is good too.

Linux remains the best option for small and big businesses.

It's better for them to get on the bandwagon now than be offered onto it by recession.

blastus
April 11th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Nice, but if it was a GM, Ford, or Chrysler dealership I still wouldn't be tempted buy. GM | Ford | Chrysler = 'crap';

MikeTheC
April 11th, 2009, 04:08 PM
For what it's worth, in the U.S., home-improvement company Lowe's uses Red Hat (though their terminals are pretty dated).

WalmartSniperLX
April 11th, 2009, 10:46 PM
I've yet to see linux being used by a corporation for myself. However, when I worked at Circuit City, their terminals ran on DOS :)

speedwell68
April 11th, 2009, 10:54 PM

when i was at reception desk, i noticed that all of the computers there were running xubuntu :D

its the fist place i have seen using linux . so it made me quite happy to see it :d

Do you mean this Car Giant...

http://www.cargiant.co.uk/

Or one of the traditional Gar Giants like GM, Ford or VW?

Mark76
April 11th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Since the OP is in London I suspect he does mean that Car Giant.

some_random_noob
April 11th, 2009, 11:58 PM
... now if only there was a small company that sold bulk amounts of linux netbooks without the windows tax... it could save billions worldwide! Let me guess, such thing already exists?

Mark76
April 12th, 2009, 12:18 AM
Maybe one day a billionaire adventure capitalist with a severe dislike of Microsoft will fund a range of home and office computers running Ubuntu built to decent specs and available in any good high street/mall electronics/computer store.

Sealbhach
April 12th, 2009, 12:24 AM

when i was at reception desk, i noticed that all of the computers there were running xubuntu

Wow! Car Giant just north of Shepherds Bush? I was there last year with my brother - he bought a Mercedes (this was before the credit crunch). I didn't notice any penguins at the time.

markp1989
April 13th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Wow! Car Giant just north of Shepherds Bush? I was there last year with my brother - he bought a Mercedes (this was before the credit crunch). I didn't notice any penguins at the time.

im not that good with geography, it is the one in wilsden

the computers behind the desk, had xubuntu, and the web based car database was being ran in firefox.

firefox had all the address bars and stuff hidden, so all you could use was there pages, not that it would stop most people from goin to a different webpage.

the guy behind the desk was in his late 50s or early 60s and he was typing with only 2 fingers, and he was using it without any dificulty.

insane_alien
April 13th, 2009, 12:15 PM
anyone else think its a bit ironic that 'cargiant's website is down from suffering from a 'Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005''.

must just be the dealerships.

gnomeuser
April 13th, 2009, 12:18 PM
The last time I was in Brazil I noticed that several of the stores didn't have traditional POS units, instead they had EeePCs running what I believe was a custom version of Linux tailored to this use case.

I imagine that saves a ton of money compared to buying such equipment from the IBMs of the world.

I personally thought that was a heartwarming little use of Linux, enabling small businesses to thrive and grow.

markp1989
April 13th, 2009, 12:39 PM
anyone else think its a bit ironic that 'cargiant's website is down from suffering from a 'Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005''.

must just be the dealerships.

yer i saw that, i must admit it is rather ironic