PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation to 9.04 question

GammaPoint
April 11th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Hi, I'm anxious to upgrade to 9.04. I'm willing to use the beta version and understand that maybe not everything will work perfectly and I'll have to tinker with it. That's fine. But is it at least relatively certain that it won't somehow wipe my hard drive clean or cause loss of data at this point? Because that I'm really, really not okay with :)

taurus
April 11th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Back up.

GammaPoint
April 11th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Back up.

I don't have a external hard drive yet, although I'm looking into one.

kilgore9
April 11th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Back up is the only way to be sure! You can also partition your hard drive so that one partition is the operating system and files and the other partition is your data. Then if you decide you're not satisfied with your OS you can switch it without it affecting your data partition. But even so, back it up!

Ericyzfr1
April 11th, 2009, 05:34 PM
I installed it a few times actually, the only problem I have is with the updates, I can get past the login screen after reboot.
I am waiting until the release to see if it will fix that, for now I can live without updating.

iheartubuntu
April 11th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Call me lazy but I didnt back up :) Please dont take my advice though!

Here is what I would say...

-back up if you have really important data like photos or music you dont have backed up anywhere else

-download jaunty, burn to disc and run it as a livecd. does everything work? If so, you are most likely good to go.

Ive upgraded three of my computers now from 8.10 to 9.04 beta successfully (two desktops and a laptop)... easy... no probs with the upgrades. The only real problem I notice with Jaunty is VLC which I use often (to play DVDs or play ISO files of dvds) no longer shows the video and the controls in one box. They are separated into two boxes. VLC works, just a bit cumbersome having two boxes open. Hopefully it will get fixed soon :) Jaunty is great as an upgrade, but incredibly fast if you do a fresh install of jaunty wih the new EXT4 file system. My dads little Acer 10.1" netbook had XP on it... I installed Jaunty with EXT4 and the thing boots up in 20 seconds tops. I sure feels faster than my P4 dual core system im using right now! And Ive got 4 gb memory on this too. Anyhow, just backup and you'll be fine.