void freeNode( DListNode* pNode ) {

int* pDataPtr = NULL;
DListNode* pNodeToDelete = NULL;

pDataPtr = &(pNode->dataPtr);
pNodeToDelete = pNode;

free( pDataPtr );
free ( pNodeToDelete );

}

What is the 'data' variable above? How did you even get the program to compile? If it is a typo, and should be dataPtr, then you are assigning the address of 145 to dataPtr.

As for freeing memory, try to do it more efficiently:

free(pNode->dataPtr);
free(pNode); /* do NOT use pNode after this; not even after freeNode() is called */
}

Btw, very few programmers nowadays use the Hungarian notation in naming their variables. It sometimes leads to confusion, and it makes it problematic to change code should a variable's type change after the initial design. But do as you please.

lloyd_b
April 11th, 2009, 12:31 PM

int* pDataPtr = NULL;
DListNode* pNodeToDelete = NULL;

pDataPtr = &(pNode->dataPtr);
pNodeToDelete = pNode;

free( pDataPtr );
free ( pNodeToDelete );

}

See the highlighted line above - the "&" is a problem. pNode->dataPtr is an int pointer, which points to a malloc'ed chunk of memory. &pNode->dataPtr is an element of pNode, and is NOT a pointer to a malloc'ed chunk of memory (It's a *part* of a malloc'ed chunk...).

May I suggest you lose the unnecessary intermediate variables, and do it this way:

free(pNode->dataPtr);
free(pNode);

}

Lloyd B.

Edit - looks like dwhitney67 beat me to it...

StOoZ
April 11th, 2009, 12:33 PM
ignore the 'data' , I meant dataPtr.

First I tried what you suggested (before posting this thread...) , it gave me the same error , so I tried the above code , still to no avail.

if I delete only
free ( pNode );

it works fine , but when both:
free ( pNode->dataPtr );
free ( pNode );

it gives segfault for the last free.

lloyd_b
April 11th, 2009, 12:45 PM
ignore the 'data' , I meant dataPtr.

First I tried what you suggested (before posting this thread...) , it gave me the same error , so I tried the above code , still to no avail.

if I delete only
free ( pNode );

it works fine , but when both:
free ( pNode->dataPtr );
free ( pNode );

it gives segfault for the last free.

Please reread dwhitney67's post - you're putting an invalid value into p->dataPtr, with the result being that free() crashes because it's not being given a valid pointer.

That line should read "*p->dataPtr = 145;", not "p->dataPtr = 145;".

Lloyd B.

StOoZ
April 11th, 2009, 01:01 PM
Problem sovled

thanks you all , the problem was indeed me assigning an address instead of a value.
p->dataPtr = 145;
instead of:
*p->dataPtr = 145;

now the question is : I remember when reading about pointers etc , when I use the '->' its like dereferencing it ('*') , so why did it caused a problem in this case?

dwhitney67
April 11th, 2009, 01:05 PM
Problem sovled

thanks you all , the problem was indeed me assigning an address instead of a value.
p->dataPtr = 145;
instead of:
*p->dataPtr = 145;

now the question is : I remember when reading about pointers etc , when I use the '->' its like dereferencing it ('*') , so why did it caused a problem in this case?

You have two pointers: p and dataPtr. You used -> to dereference p, but for dataPtr... well initially nothing; now of course, you are doing it correctly.

StOoZ
April 11th, 2009, 01:27 PM
many many thanks , it solved me not only this problem , but some other I had due to incorrect use of pointers.

:guitar: