PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No GUI from live or install

:Matt:
April 11th, 2009, 08:46 AM
I've been running Ubuntu on my Desktop for about a semester, and I decided to install it on my laptop this weekend. I'm using an ASUS G2K, which has an ATI Mobile Radeon 2600 graphics card.

Anyway, I downloaded the Ubuntu 8.10 32bit ISO, and I am trying to install the OS now. When I try to do just a live boot I get the Ubuntu splash screen, then a black screen. I can press alt+f1 to get to a shell. The same thing happens when I select "Install Ubuntu".

After bringing up a shell, if I try startx I get these errors:

Saw signal 11. Server aborting.
Blank CRTC 0 success
Disable CRTC 0 success
Blank CRTC 1 success
Disable CRTC 1 success
Enable CRTC 0 success
Unblank CRTC 0 success
giving up.
xinit: Connection refused (errno 111): unable to connect to X server
xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error

I also tried installing Ubuntu from my Windows OS, but when I tried to start up Ubuntu I had the exact same problem.

Edit: I downloaded the Desktop Edition, I burned the ISO to a CD, I checked the CD for errors

If I try startx in safe graphics mode I get the no screens found error.

April 11th, 2009, 07:38 PM
bump.

No ideas? I was planning to get some work done this weekend for my research class and for that I need Ubuntu working, but it looks like I won't be able to do anything.

April 11th, 2009, 09:05 PM
bump

April 12th, 2009, 04:06 AM
bump

kjaada
April 12th, 2009, 04:14 AM
Had a similar problem with the live disk then downloaded the alternate iso.
The install went good and I now have 9.04 working 100%

April 12th, 2009, 04:18 AM
By alternate iso do you mean the text version? If so, what did you do after installing to get the GUI desktop?

cariboo
April 12th, 2009, 04:46 AM
The alternate install cd does a full installation, including the desktop. You could also try starting the LiveCD in safe graphics mode. Press F4 and select safe graphics mode and then continue booting.

Jim

April 12th, 2009, 04:50 AM
As stated in my first post, I have already tried starting the LiveCD in safe graphics mode, and I get a "no screens found" error.

Edit: I'm burning the alternative installer now.

April 12th, 2009, 05:22 AM
With the text installer, it won't let me make a new partition or mount to that partition with any format.

toupeiro
April 12th, 2009, 05:06 PM
Did you try some of the usual things when googled for this problem like pci=noacpi or apic=off in the boot options of the CD install?

April 13th, 2009, 07:46 AM
Did you try some of the usual things when googled for this problem like pci=noacpi or apic=off in the boot options of the CD install?

I've been doing a lot of googling but I haven't seen that recommendation, nor do I know what it does. However, setting pci=noacpi seems to be working. It's just finished repartitioning with the GUI installer now.