PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 700 meg media insufficient to get ISO (??)

rufio1
April 11th, 2009, 08:23 AM
I just got to within a few meg of dload ISO for 8.04LTS only to be told that there was not enough disc space to finish the dload..

it was a freshly formatted 700 meg disc...

can anyone tell me what i might need to get started

thx
m

Partyboi2
April 11th, 2009, 08:52 AM
Make sure you have enough space on your hard drive before you download the iso. Once you have it downloaded check the md5sum that they match and burn to a disk at x4 or less.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BurningIsoHowto

Mark Phelps
April 11th, 2009, 08:56 PM
I know that 8.04LTS (32-bit) fits on a standard CD because I recently burnt one myself.

The 32-bit ISO image I recently downloaded has the following sizes:
1) desktop -- 699.1MB
2) alternate -- 697.1MB

Sorry to ask basic questions, but are you sure you're actually burning the ISO to the CD, not just copying the ISO file to it?

Also, are you sure it's a 700MB CD, not an older 650MB CD?

rufio1
April 12th, 2009, 03:03 AM
thanks kindly for the info

regs,
michael

rufio1
April 12th, 2009, 03:06 AM
I know that 8.04LTS (32-bit) fits on a standard CD because I recently burnt one myself.

The 32-bit ISO image I recently downloaded has the following sizes:
1) desktop -- 699.1MB
2) alternate -- 697.1MB

Sorry to ask basic questions, but are you sure you're actually burning the ISO to the CD, not just copying the ISO file to it?

Also, are you sure it's a 700MB CD, not an older 650MB CD?

thx,
i forgot to mention that I am also fundamentally challenged when it comes to basic PC operations like burning diss and other activitiies which you folks must regard as simple as breathing..

now that has put me straight;
(only problem,I've used up my mth's data d.load and will have to wait a couple of weeks before dloading (to HD this time) then burning to CD..

regs,
michael