PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Could Nautilus' Extract Here function have a "nice" setting

smaglio81
April 11th, 2009, 04:11 AM
Hello,

When performing 'Extract Here' on large files (> 500MB) the process takes a great deal of system resources and affects the ability of other programs to function. Sometimes to the point where firefox will stop responding.

Could there be a setting (somewhere underneath System > Preferences) which would allow for a "nice" value to be set?

(sidenote) I tried to use the script found in http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=28642, but the function(s) seem to be written for a different version of ubuntu. When running them they fail with the error message of "Could not open '<parent-directory name>'. Archive type not supported."

TIA

Ratscallion
April 11th, 2009, 12:53 PM
It will take a long time and use system resources, it is using the same process to keep the desktop and it's apps running also. Not only that, but it is writing to disk space. To make it go quicker, I would advise to close ALL file browsing windows, (other than the ones used for the extraction) and not do anything, it should go somewhat quicker that way. Also, try checking the trash, there's probably a lot in there that you haven't actually deleted from the HD. It says it's deleted, when in fact, it's in the trash!

jowilkin
April 11th, 2009, 01:11 PM
I think he wants to lower the priority so it uses less resources, not make the extraction go faster.

Ratscallion
April 11th, 2009, 01:13 PM
I think he wants to lower the priority so it uses less resources, not make the extraction go faster.
Using less resources would make it go slower, would it not, thus, using more, would make it go quicker, and you'd be able to get on with the things you wanted to.