PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Replacing XP with Ubuntu

beev
April 11th, 2009, 01:37 AM
Hi,

I'm looking for some help with what will hopefully be my first successful Linux install. Unfortunately, because of the crapness of Windows, I'm having trouble getting started.

The machine is my parents' Compaq Presario 6000. It was running Windows XP up until a few days ago when it suddenly flipped out & refused to boot. I'm a Mac user & generally avoid dealing with MS Windows so I want to cut that out & get straight to Ubuntu if I can.

The problem is this. When the machine is turned on, it says:

We apologise for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this...

It offers five options:

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)

Start Windows Normally

All of these options lead back to the same screen (from which I conclude that Windows is well & truly banjoed!)

I've googled this problem and the solutions seem to revolve around using Windows original install disc or system rescue disc. We have no original disc as the computer was not supplied with one. We did make a rescue disc (actually a series of them) when the computer was new, but I don't want to get involved with this Windows nonsense if I can possibly help it!

I have a pair of Ubuntu discs (Intel x86 Edition) I realise they are not the most up-to-date, but I figure I ought to be able to do something with them. I've tried them both in the disc drive and tried to reboot while holding down the 'C' button, I've also tried the 'D' button. Each time I get the same screen described above.

I realise it may be a long shot, but does anyone know of a way I can get my Ubuntu discs to run on this machine?

I would much appreciate any advice offered.

starcannon
April 11th, 2009, 01:47 AM
I think you need to frantic press F12 as soon as you turn the power on, you should get a "boot from" dialog choice screen shortly after, using the directional pad choose the device you would like to boot from (cd drive in this case), press enter.

Pretty sure its F12, it may be Esc. You may also want to get into bios and change the default Boot order, F2 or Del are the two most common key presses with F10 also being a possibility to get into bios setup.

GL

beev
April 11th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Thanks very much. Esc did the trick. Now installing Ubuntu.

beev
April 11th, 2009, 06:31 PM
Install worked surprisingly well. No glitches. I am very happy to have completely expunged Windows from my family!

That computer is now running Ubuntu version 5.10, which is obviously quite old. It's getting a little off topic, I know, but I'm just wondering if it's ok to use a Mac to download & burn an up-to-date install disc? Will it make any difference?

Thanks.

Idefix82
April 11th, 2009, 06:33 PM
It won't make any difference, you can burn the disk under any OS and on any computer. Welcome!

Ericyzfr1
April 11th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Why don't you download it directly on the PC using 5.10?
How did you burn the 5.10 version?

beev
April 11th, 2009, 06:42 PM
Thanks for responses. You guys are super fast!

The PC isn't currently networked. 5.10 disc was given to me a while ago by a friend.

I'll use the Mac.

Cheers!

Mark Phelps
April 11th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Are you sure it's "5.10" and not "8.10"? If so, you're using a really OLD version of Ubuntu, and it's no longer supported. Don't know that you even CAN upgrade from that to the latest (8.10) stable version.

beev
April 11th, 2009, 09:34 PM
It certainly is 5.10. I've had the disc for some years!

I'll be looking to make a fresh install, rather than upgrade.

starcannon
April 12th, 2009, 11:39 AM
If you liked 5.10, your gonna be blown away by 8.10 :D