PDA

View Full Version : Do you use Compiz?

sekinto
April 11th, 2009, 12:23 AM
Personally I don't, there isn't really any features that are part of Compiz that I need. I do need compositing (for Avant Window Navigator and a few other apps), but newer versions of Metacity have compositing support and enabling it in Ubuntu is as easy as checking a checkbox in the Configuration Editor.

cardinals_fan
April 11th, 2009, 12:28 AM
No. I'm far more productive and happy with musca.

speedwell68
April 11th, 2009, 12:29 AM
Personally I don't, there isn't really any features that are part of Compiz that I need. I do need compositing (for Avant Window Navigator and a few other apps), but newer versions of Metacity have compositing support and enabling it in Ubuntu is as easy as checking a checkbox in the Configuration Editor.

No, it is little more than eye candy too impress Windows users. IMHO

OutOfReach
April 11th, 2009, 12:33 AM
No.

WatchingThePain
April 11th, 2009, 12:35 AM
I'm a big fan of Compiz.

Hopefully it will be around a lot longer.
If I spend loads of time on a pc then I want it to look nice, not boring.
I hate grey and blue panels and anything windowy.

Compiz is a window manager in itself.
I don't do anything to impress Windows users and they certainly can't do anything to impress me.

Giant Speck
April 11th, 2009, 12:40 AM
Yes, but only a few plugins:

Window Previews

I like the window previews feature of Vista. However, it is very limited. Compiz's window previews feature allows me to change the size of the thumbnail, allowing me to actually see what is going on inside each window.
Emerald

I find it easier to make window decoration themes using Emerald. Now, if only the Emerald Themer program didn't constantly freeze up.
Expo

The cube is nice and all, but Expo allows me to not only view all of my desktops but also allows me to manipulate windows within each desktop and even move windows between desktops.
Wobbly Windows

While most people will say wobbly windows is a useless piece of eye candy, I think that it gives the windows more realism. Seeing the windows wobble slightly makes it feel like I'm moving real objects. I keep the friction rather high, though, so the effect isn't exaggerated to the point that it is annoying.

I also use Compiz as a compositing manager in order to have real transparency in my Cairo-Dock and Conky.

WatchingThePain
April 11th, 2009, 12:43 AM
While most people will say wobbly windows is a useless piece of eye candy, I think that it gives the windows more realism. Seeing the windows wobble slightly makes it feel like I'm moving real objects.

You're right.

pwnst*r
April 11th, 2009, 12:44 AM
what speck said.

Tibuda
April 11th, 2009, 12:50 AM
I think the cube is useless, but there are some really useful plugins like Giant Speck said. I would only add the Scale plugin.

Chemical Imbalance
April 11th, 2009, 12:53 AM
Compiz adds nothing but bloat and slowdown for me. Gnome's compositing gets the job done using docks and transparency.

sekinto
April 11th, 2009, 12:56 AM
While most people will say wobbly windows is a useless piece of eye candy, I think that it gives the windows more realism. Seeing the windows wobble slightly makes it feel like I'm moving real objects. I keep the friction rather high, though, so the effect isn't exaggerated to the point that it is annoying.

Are you saying a sheet of glass isn't real? Not even paper wiggles from side to side when you move it... if anything wobbliness adds a supernatural feel to windows.

happysmileman
April 11th, 2009, 12:57 AM
Missing option: No, but I use the unnecessary optional eye candy offered by my own WM.

KDE4 users might want to vote for that, since KWin now has much of the features of Compiz (they decided that it wasn't feasibly from a technical viewpoint to incorporate Compiz into it, and started work on their own stuff)

Gizenshya
April 11th, 2009, 01:08 AM
I use expo, the cube, the aquarium, and many other features of compiz. They've spoiled me, though. When I'm in a computer lab on vista, I feel like it is ancient software, and very anti-user.

I love the control over my computer I have with compiz. I forget that it's there sometimes, and when I'm writing a paper and someone who hasn't seen my computer comes over and notices the windows wobble the look on their faces NEVER gets old! they're like... "la da dah..... wait, wtf was that? no, go back, move the window again! sweet!" Then there's usually a half hour tech demo, that I usually end with "ohh, and btw, it's all free. and thats free free, not [i]free[i/] free." Everyone so far has been excited by it, and I usually give them a CD. Only down side is getting emails and calls every few days about new things they've found that rock, and how they're never going to use windows again hahaha

I'm a huge fan of eye-candy. It's like crack for me :o

I still have windows (Vista), but I mainly use it because I love the latest video games (again, the eye candy).

If I had it on an older computer I might not use it , though. But atm my computer handles it fine. I limit it to my refresh rate, but if I don't I get several hundred frames per second even with all the junk going-- and it still uses barely half the RAM that vista uses without any programs running.

ghindo
April 11th, 2009, 01:08 AM
I use Compiz, but very few plugins (like Speck). It gets the job done, and doesn't slow down my machine.

gnomeuser
April 11th, 2009, 01:12 AM
Metacity with compositing, far more stable and far more useful. However this leaves a gap in the voting options (likewise for kwin4 users).

Compiz is not the be all end all solution to composited desktops and more people are realising that every day ditching it for better integrated solutions with far more drive towards using the technology to improve the usability and functionality of the desktop by enhancing it rather than putting it through an LSD trip.

smartboyathome
April 11th, 2009, 01:16 AM
Nope, E17 and XFWM4 provide all my eyecandy. ;)

Kareeser
April 11th, 2009, 01:28 AM
I use compiz. I especially like the snapping windows feature, which is sorely lacking in XP, and virtually non-existant (by default) on mac machines. I like accuracy and tightness (you can insert all the "that's what she said" you want here.) with my windows, and compiz does that awesomely.

Interesting point: I use xrandr to switch resolutions with my i855GM graphics card, and like windows, it blanks out for about half a second and refreshes with the new resolution. When I was debugging Jaunty, I deliberately turned compiz off, and tried using xrandr, and noticed that it instantly switched over to the new resolution, with no lag.

Very unexpected!

FuturePilot
April 11th, 2009, 01:35 AM
Yes.

kk0sse54
April 11th, 2009, 01:37 AM
I use kwin4 and that has got to be some of the worst poll options I've ever seen.

Dr Small
April 11th, 2009, 01:38 AM
Nope. I need productive things that help me.

Chemical Imbalance
April 11th, 2009, 01:38 AM
Nope. I need productive things that help me.

;)

meho_r
April 11th, 2009, 01:39 AM
Yes. Improves my productivity a lot ;)

sekinto
April 11th, 2009, 01:53 AM
Oh gawd people, what's wrong with the poll options? The question was:
Do you use Compiz?
That is a YES or NO question.

bashveank
April 11th, 2009, 01:55 AM
Nope, most of the effects are way over the top, and compiz seems flimsy to me for some reason...

qamelian
April 11th, 2009, 02:03 AM
Metacity with compositing, far more stable and far more useful. However this leaves a gap in the voting options (likewise for kwin4 users).

Compiz is not the be all end all solution to composited desktops and more people are realising that every day ditching it for better integrated solutions with far more drive towards using the technology to improve the usability and functionality of the desktop by enhancing it rather than putting it through an LSD trip.
I have to disagree. Metacity's compositing is the next best thing to useless on both my desktop and my laptop. The performance is terrible and causes any kind of movement to be excessively jerky. Dragging a window is painful. On the other hand, Compiz outperforms Metacity (with or without compositing) and I find it to be extremely stable. My laptop also tends to run noticably hotter when I attempt to use Metacity compositing. And frankly, I don't care what anyone else thinks of Compiz. Some the plugins genuinely enhance usablity for me in ways that Metacity fails.

There may be other compositing options, but at the moment, compiz is the only one that genuinely suits my needs.

blueshiftoverwatch
April 11th, 2009, 02:31 AM
I have no use for Compiz.

SomeGuyDude
April 11th, 2009, 02:38 AM
I use Compiz as my Windowmanager.

It uses less resources than GNOME, KDE, or XFCE. For that matter, it uses no more memory than Openbox and only about a 5% bump in CPU usage. I get all the eye candy and it's lighter than alla you guys with your "I don't need them fancy effects" DE's. :)

gnomeuser
April 11th, 2009, 02:39 AM
Oh gawd people, what's wrong with the poll options? The question was:
Do you use Compiz?
That is a YES or NO question.

Have you stopped beating your wife? (y/n)

sekinto
April 11th, 2009, 02:42 AM

I don't get the point you are trying to make.

swoll1980
April 11th, 2009, 02:43 AM
I use it. I like the animations, wobbly windows, and the shift switcher the most. Compiz makes the Desktop more exiting. I can't understand what most of the complaints are about Compiz. I can't tell a difference in the performance of my machine with, or with out it.

swoll1980
April 11th, 2009, 02:45 AM

No if you never have(you can't stop what you never started), or if you haven't stopped, yes if you used to, but decided it wasn't good for her health. This poll would provide a clear choice.

SomeGuyDude
April 11th, 2009, 02:52 AM
I use it. I like the animations, wobbly windows, and the shift switcher the most. Compiz makes the Desktop more exiting. I can't understand what most of the complaints are about Compiz. I can't tell a difference in the performance of my machine with, or with out it.

It's bad "geek cred" to have visual aesthetics. "Real Linux users" use ugly non-aliased fonts and do everything through the terminal. And if you're super duper hardcore, you don't even use Xorg, everything's from the command line including your totally logical text-only browser.

Chemical Imbalance
April 11th, 2009, 02:54 AM
It's bad "geek cred" to have visual aesthetics. "Real Linux users" use ugly non-aliased fonts and do everything through the terminal. And if you're super duper hardcore, you don't even use Xorg, everything's from the command line including your totally logical text-only browser.

w3m and links pwn firefox!!

CharmyBee
it doesn't play well with tvtime, so no. Desktop eyecandy is only a non-essential, short-term novelty

SomeGuyDude
No if you never have(you can't stop what you never started), or if you haven't stopped, yes if you used to, but decided it wasn't good for her health. This poll would provide a clear choice.

If you weren't allowed to specify what you meant by "no", then the answer implies that you continue to beat your wife. It's pretty much the prototypical example of poor polling. It doesn't provide a clear choice simply because of this fact.

It's like the Mitch Hedberg joke: "I got asked this questionnaire, but they were oddly worded. Like, 'Have you ever tried sugar, or PCP?'"

swoll1980
April 11th, 2009, 02:55 AM

I understand the whole "geek cred" thing. They're all in the closet. They were probably playing with their cubes when they voted no.

swoll1980
April 11th, 2009, 02:57 AM
If you weren't allowed to specify what you meant by "no", then the answer implies that you continue to beat your wife. It's pretty much the prototypical example of poor polling. It doesn't provide a clear choice simply because of this fact.

It's like the Mitch Hedberg joke: "I got asked this questionnaire, but they were oddly worded. Like, 'Have you ever tried sugar, or PCP?'"

I know a was just being a prick. It was sarcastic, but you really can't tell from reading it.

SomeGuyDude
April 11th, 2009, 03:02 AM
I know a was just being a prick. It was sarcastic, but you really can't tell from reading it.

Ahhh. I hear ya, it's kinda hard to tell these things over the internet, y'know? Tough to interpet things accurately when you can't see the person's face.

Gizenshya
April 11th, 2009, 03:48 AM

wow, I'll have to remember that one

chucky chuckaluck
April 11th, 2009, 03:57 AM
i've been using compiz as a wm, by itself. it's pretty useless but i find it alluring.

Twitch6000
April 11th, 2009, 04:01 AM
Nah I use Metacity with compositing :).

Alot more stable ....

SomeGuyDude
April 11th, 2009, 04:03 AM
i've been using compiz as a wm, by itself. it's pretty useless but i find it alluring.

It's a "best of both worlds" kind of deal, really. You get the lightness and responsiveness of a *box, but all the eye candy. I use maybe 5% of Compiz's capabilities, but that's plenty. :KS

Kareeser
April 11th, 2009, 04:15 AM
I also find that I've integrated a bunch of compiz hotkeys in my daily use.

Ctrl-Alt-Right/Left to switch workspaces (which I realize is also in GNOME)
Super-Right/Left to move Windows between workspaces (this one's a custom hotkey)
Super-Numpad to move around windows within the viewport (standard in Intrepid, disabled by default in Jaunty, but still very helpful)

Heck, 'cause of Compiz, I'm getting more use out of my Windows key than windows!

sekinto
April 11th, 2009, 04:19 AM

Although I wasn't asking if my polling was bad, people already have told me that. I was asking WHY it was bad.

ghindo
April 11th, 2009, 04:20 AM
Have you stopped beating your wife? (y/n)Using Compiz = Spousal abuse? =D>

SomeGuyDude
April 11th, 2009, 04:24 AM
I also find that I've integrated a bunch of compiz hotkeys in my daily use.

Ctrl-Alt-Right/Left to switch workspaces (which I realize is also in GNOME)
Super-Right/Left to move Windows between workspaces (this one's a custom hotkey)
Super-Numpad to move around windows within the viewport (standard in Intrepid, disabled by default in Jaunty, but still very helpful)

Heck, 'cause of Compiz, I'm getting more use out of my Windows key than windows!

I use so many friggin shortcuts it ain't even funny. I think my "super" key is bound to all four directions, Tab, the spacebar, "end", plus a handful of others.

Giant Speck
April 11th, 2009, 04:32 AM
Using Compiz = Spousal abuse? =D>

His post was meant to show why yes/no polls don't accurately express the opinions of the people voting in the poll.

ghindo
April 11th, 2009, 04:39 AM
His post was meant to show why yes/no polls don't accurately express the opinions of the people voting in the poll.It was a poor example, imo

sekinto
April 11th, 2009, 04:41 AM
His post was meant to show why yes/no polls don't accurately express the opinions of the people voting in the poll.

But the point of my poll wasn't to know why people choose Compiz (isn't that what discussion is for?), it was to take a simple tally of how many people use it and don't who visit this thread. I can take the poll down if it bothers people that much, it would be impossible to represent everyone's specific reason for choosing it or not choosing it as a poll option.

kk0sse54
April 11th, 2009, 04:44 AM
But the point of my poll wasn't to know why people choose Compiz (isn't that what discussion is for?), it was to take a simple tally of how many people use it and don't who visit this thread. I can take the poll down if it bothers people that much, it would be impossible to represent everyone's specific reason for choosing it or not choosing it as a poll option.

There's nothing wrong with the poll, it's just how you chose to present the poll options

SomeGuyDude
April 11th, 2009, 04:45 AM
There's nothing wrong with the poll, it's just how you chose to present the poll options

The poll options' phrasing were pretty clearly jokey. That's why they're so off the wall.

sekinto
April 11th, 2009, 04:48 AM

Well I'm sorry for being lighthearted and joking arround, I'll make sure to format my poll options with the utmost seriousness next time. :]

I'm sure everyone loves seeing the same ol' reliable YES and NO.

cmay
April 11th, 2009, 04:53 AM
on open-solaris i did yes. but ubuntu no.
i do not want the restricted nvidia drivers installed so it do not work for me. i never have the restricted drivers enabled at all. on any of my machines . i tried it once but i reinstalled debian over it a week later and never touched the restricted drivers again.

Kareeser
April 11th, 2009, 04:56 AM
i do not want the restricted nvidia drivers installed so it do not work for me. i never have the restricted drivers enabled at all. on any of my machines . i tried it once but i reinstalled debian over it a week later and never touched the restricted drivers again.

May I ask why? Is it a commitment to "free software only", or was there some sort of problem you couldn't overcome?

Giant Speck
April 11th, 2009, 04:57 AM

Ooh! How is Compiz on OpenSolaris, by the way? I didn't even know you could use Compiz on OpenSolaris.

gnomeuser
April 11th, 2009, 08:08 AM
I don't get the point you are trying to make.

Dear lord what is wrong with the American educational system.

Don't they teach you basic logical fallacies, your poll is a class A example of the loaded question fallacy (Plurium Interrogationum) of which the "have you stopped beating your wife?" reference is the classic example.

It is a fallacy to believe this question breaks down into yes and no. You have several examples of the type "I did and replaced it with similar technology". Do these people answer yes or no, if they say no the poll will indicate unfairly that compositing is not being used, if they say yes it will unfairly indicate that compiz is their choice of compositor. This will render the outcome of the poll useless for any kind of analysis.

gnomeuser
April 11th, 2009, 08:10 AM
Ooh! How is Compiz on OpenSolaris, by the way? I didn't even know you could use Compiz on OpenSolaris.

Oh OpenSolaris have invested quite a lot of time making that work, the latest release of virtualbox even supports compiz so you can have your effects in virtualized environments. OpenSolaris overall is very shiny and a nice alternative to Linux if you want to play with something like that.

gnomeuser
April 11th, 2009, 08:16 AM
It was a poor example, imo

It is the classic example of Plurium Interrogationum. If you ever take a basic logic class this is the very example they will use in 99% of all cases. That's why it is so often used as a reference.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loaded_question

Giant Speck
April 11th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Oh OpenSolaris have invested quite a lot of time making that work, the latest release of virtualbox even supports compiz so you can have your effects in virtualized environments. OpenSolaris overall is very shiny and a nice alternative to Linux if you want to play with something like that.

I'm actually planning to try it out when I finally get around to buying a desktop computer. I also want to try BSD.

sekinto
April 11th, 2009, 08:30 AM
Dear lord what is wrong with the American educational system.

Don't they teach you basic logical fallacies, your poll is a class A example of the loaded question fallacy (Plurium Interrogationum) of which the "have you stopped beating your wife?" reference is the classic example.

It is a fallacy to believe this question breaks down into yes and no. You have several examples of the type "I did and replaced it with similar technology". Do these people answer yes or no, if they say no the poll will indicate unfairly that compositing is not being used, if they say yes it will unfairly indicate that compiz is their choice of compositor. This will render the outcome of the poll useless for any kind of analysis.

I really don't think you get it (also thanks for insulting my intelligence, it really isn't necessary and very rude). *sigh*
This has nothing to do with compositing and I don't know why you are turning into such. It was a simple question; is Compiz the window manager you choose to use?
I don't see how "I did and replaced it with similar technology" is conflicting with the poll options, if they replaced it with something then they should answer no. I thought when I asked the question that CURRENTLY was implied, by use I meant that they are actively using it. But I can change it to say "Do you currently use Compiz" if you really want me to.

I guess there is one type of person that might conflict with the poll options, and this would be someone who actively uses Compiz on one computer but doesn't on another. But this isn't really the situation you were complaining about.
Edit: Plus they could just choose one or the other based on preference. It really wasn't meant to be a serious poll in the first place.
Edit2: I was going to change it to say "Do you prefer Compiz over other window managers." But I can't figure out how to change the poll.

Giant Speck
April 11th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Dear lord, what is wrong with the American educational system?

I don't know. I haven't been in school since 2006. I do remember learning about the proper use of punctuation, though! ;)

Sinkingships7
April 11th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Using Compiz = Spousal abuse? =D>

Actually,

Using Compiz == Spousal abuse

WatchingThePain
April 11th, 2009, 09:52 AM
Is it Logical to assume that they don't teach tactfulness at Logic classes?.
"It's nice to be important but it's important to be nice"

Gizenshya
April 16th, 2009, 06:23 AM
gnomeuser... your logic is flawed. You made a few mistakes actually, but the major one was your red herring. His question was clear and concise. There is nothing inherently wrong with it-- it claims to measure people who currently use compiz, and assuming honesty on the part of the participants, it does just that. Your argument, while it would have been a good one if your misinterpretations about the thread were true, was irrelevant. It seems that you lost sight of the original meaning and problem, and instead argued about how good an example yours was for the problem... that unfortunately did not exist.

If he were measuring what you were wanting to know, then yes, his questions would have been invalid. But he was not. Feel free to make a poll that measures the different aspects of desktop managers (or whatever)-- don't let this thread hold you back.

The insults were unnecessary. I don't mean to pick on you, but I think that this thread is now a good example of why not to make someone your talking with an enemy, then insult them. It forced you to defend your opinion, rather than address the issue, and you ended up embarassing yourself by being guilty of using logical fallacies that you falsely accused sekinto of using. I've been guilty of the same thing before, of course. We all probably have. These situations never end up mutually beneficial. I just think this is a good time to talk about it, as it might improve forums, and generally help solutions. Being able to get constructive criticism (as oppossed to constant group-think) is essential to improve just about anything, and the effects are lasting. Gifts that keep on giving.

So, politeness is not the only driving factor for not being aggressive. The goals of ultimately understanding eachother (properly addressing the issue at hand), as well as potentially saving face, should be considered as well. All of these goals are inherently present in respectful discussions.

Maybe I'm just ignorant, but I find it very hard to imagine a scenario where insults and the like actually help resolve an issue.

RichardLinx
April 16th, 2009, 06:29 AM
No, I don't use compiz.

hotweiss
April 16th, 2009, 06:31 AM
I use compiz because it eliminates Flash video tearing. Only after I set the correct refresh rate in the Compiz settings...

hatten
April 16th, 2009, 08:49 AM
no. I'm far more productive and happy with musca.
+1

Scubdup
April 16th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Compiz is good for showing Ubuntu to Windows users and IMO makes for more ergonomic usage.

As for the Loaded Question debate, I'm with gnomeuser. This is a loaded question.

"It was a poor example, imo" - It's THE example.

psychoelf
April 29th, 2009, 10:55 PM
I used compiz for all its flashiness and glory, but quickly got tired of it messing with all sorts of other video and games(using ATI). After experimenting with Metacity's compositing to use Cairo Dock...I just decided to turn off compositing all together. System runs much smoother and faster.

Now I just use an auto hide gnome panel as a launcher. Set the pixel height to zero and turned off "expand". Does the job without compositing.

My last boot to login with Jaunty was 20 seconds and login to full use was an additional 5 seconds...HOLY F**#$@# COW! I've never felt such speed :guitar:

hessiess
April 29th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Tiling window managers;)

qwertyuiop96
April 29th, 2009, 10:59 PM
Use compiz with GNOME, KWin with KDE 4.2. Metacity if I have to run a video app. i.e. games, blender, google earth, etc. (Doesn't work well [flashes alot] with compiz.)

3Miro
April 29th, 2009, 11:08 PM
I had hard time efficiently working on 4 desktops until I got he cube. Now I can visually orient better on what is where. Maybe it makes no sense, but for me the 3D cube is now a mandatory piece of functionality.

I also like the ability to move windows from one desktop to another in the wall view.

Compiz actually makes most apps run smoother by better utilizing the Video card. I have a nice video card, I might as well use it (Metacity doesn't seem to be doing that).

NightwishFan
April 29th, 2009, 11:13 PM
I use compiz when I am in the mood for it. It is not required. I more like to have it "available", and I can show it off if required.

ad_267
May 24th, 2009, 01:11 AM
No because it causes problems with a lot of 3D applications, and also doesn't play well with gnome-screensaver when running fullscreen 3d games. Not that I do that often, but when I do I don't want my games becoming windowed and forcing me to do a hard reboot. I also don't want to disable my screensaver just because of this.

Otherwise I probably would leave it on, just for the smoothness and usefulness of some of the effects.

kc3
May 24th, 2009, 02:29 AM
Well, for some reason it's not running right so no, I would IMAGINE my card was sufficient, either way, I have my effects settings turned up and AWN so that's sufficient. For some reason whenever I load Compiz my Windows just lock up, everything runs but the windows don't move and the border like disappears. Any idea why? My graphics card is an XFX 512MB 8800GT Alpha Dog Edition and the drivers are on my system just fine.

Total Specs
Intel Dual Core 2.6GHz
10,000RPM 150GB HDD (only hdd until I get one on RMA, I actualy managed to fry a 500GB and a 750GB hdd haha)
XFX 8800GT 512MB Alpha Dog (as mentioned above)
4GB DDR2 RAM

I'd imagine this would work fine since I've heard of people running it fine on old Celerons, but it seems to not be. I'm guessing I'm doing SOMETHING wrong.

Mr Bean
May 24th, 2009, 02:46 AM
Yes but only with default settings.

I've played around with the settings manager but I have a tendency to make things worse before making them better. Best just to leave it how it is, it seems nice and subtle.

Regenweald
May 24th, 2009, 02:48 AM
The poll options don't reflect my age group so i won't vote, but i do use compiz. In combination with emerald, i have actually seen a drop in system resource use. It indeed does not play well with MPlayer in full screen, at least the tracking bar, but simply disabling the bar in full screen mode and configuring my keyboard and mouse to skip/track is an efficient workaround. I am really looking forward to the .9 ++ series.

SomeGuyDude
May 24th, 2009, 03:09 AM
Yeah, Compiz as a standalone WM uses almost no resources. It's amazing.

appier
May 24th, 2009, 04:30 AM
Yes

MikeTheC
May 24th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Yes, absolutely I use Compiz.

Many of you folks here like to beat your chests about how much better Gnome (or, I suppose, KDE) is than Aqua for Mac OS X is. Well, if you're going to say this, then I feel you also need to take into account the visual aspects of it, too.

Things like having a subtle alpha-blended drop shadow behind windows and menus, having one's multiple desktops on a cube, having the windows of each of these desktops stand out so you can look amongst and between them, window previews on the taskbar buttons... these are valuable non-negotiables for me.

So yes, absolutely, for me Compiz is very useful and important.

stanca
October 3rd, 2009, 03:52 PM
That's why I tried Linux for the first time.;)

markbuntu
October 3rd, 2009, 04:21 PM
Currently compiz is not working for me because I need to use xinerama to get my two gpus/3 monitors working and that requires randr to be disabled. What that has to do with no compositing I do not know but I read somewhere that nvidia claims it is a general problem with the latest versions of X and RandR1.2's inability to deal with multi gpus.

But, no big loss. I would rather have more real estate than a fancy paint job.

etnlIcarus
October 3rd, 2009, 05:18 PM
Yes, I use compiz.

No, none of my animations - what few I have enabled - last longer than 3-00-400ms.

No wobbly windows.

No ridiculous emerald themes.

No fire/water/heartbyyourpowerscombinedIAMCAPTAINPLANET!

dhysk
October 3rd, 2009, 05:40 PM
I use a lot of compiz features that may or may not be specific to it but make my desktop experience better/easier.

Easy window transparency (adjusted by ALT+ScrollWheel)

Window Grouping, specifically tabbing windows.

Window shading(I think it may actually be emerald providing that feature)

Window rules

and yes the cube, the sphere actually, because its fun and I organise school, work, play, and games by physical position. It's more natural to me than desktop 1,2,3,4. Plus it's easier to new people to show them how multiple desktops work. I don't know why but it is. Lastly it was easy for me to change the key to switch it. Well I didn't change it but I added the mouse tilt wheel left and right to switch desktops one to the left and one to the right.

Most everything else is just the look feel, in general I think it makes the desktop feel more natural like the wobbly windows and things. I do like to play with the fire and water plugins as well.

jperez
October 3rd, 2009, 07:44 PM
I wish there were more options for that poll, like "Yeah, I use it because it helps me" or "No, but I have thought about it", etc. etc.

I use it but not like I did a couple of years ago. If you would have asked me a couple years ago, I'd say "Yeah, I use it because the effects are so freakin awesome! blah blah blah"

Now, I still use it, but not as extensively. It honestly does help me with what I do. It increases my productivity a bit more than not using it. Being able to take a window to a new workspace easily is good for clearing my clutter and I have a lot of that at times (especially at work). The cube is mostly just aesthetically pleasing for me, so that's a nice added feature and helps me to not be so bored at work or home and gives me a nice skydome image to look at (a panoramic misty beach...beautiful). The dodge animation is nice and gives the impression that other windows are making way for the ones being focused on; another aesthetically pleasing feature.

Scale helps, again, with clutter, but having way too many big windows open, some of which would be better on another workspace is where the other feature comes in handy. ;)

Yes, I am a compiz user and I find it's usefulness in my everyday work and home use. Some may say there's no use for it and that may be true for them, but I can honestly say it's helping me out.

It doesn't slow down my already low-profile, older Toshiba laptop, so that's a plus for me.

Jesse~

hariks0
October 3rd, 2009, 08:24 PM
Yes I do. Especially to set up Windoze like keyboard shortcuts. If interested please read http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1280847