PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unable to get through Ubuntu 8.04 after installation

amarjarubula
April 10th, 2009, 11:48 PM
Hi,

I have downloaded Ubuntu 8.04 and installed on my computer with Wubi from Windows Vista Home Basic. The installation went smoothly and was successful.

I have restarted and selected Ubuntu. After selecting Ubuntu it went through Checking Installation and then Checking New Partition. At this point I got a dialog box saying
No root file system is defined. Please correct this from the Partition menu It says to press OK. I did but it did not go away and kept persisting. I got vexed and tried to reboot and again I got the same error. Pls help anybody.

cariboo
April 11th, 2009, 12:36 AM
When setting up a partition you have to set a mount pont. Boot from the LiveCD and when at the desktop go to System-->Administration-->Partition Editor and check the mount point of you / partition, it should be set to /.

Jim

amarjarubula
April 11th, 2009, 06:48 AM
Tx for replying,

I have tried what you have said. However I could not find where to actually mount. And I have seen a weird thing that my Vista partition was not recognized and it is showing 111.79 GB as an unpartitioned drive. If I do something to the drive, I understood that I will lose all my data. Pls explain me what is actually happening. I am totally new to Linux environment.

polkadotteapot
April 11th, 2009, 11:13 AM
http://lubi.sourceforge.net/lvpm.html

This website and the links on it have some information about gparted and partitioning.

If you're just reying wubi you only need to use the partitioning information.

amarjarubula
April 11th, 2009, 10:39 PM
Tx but this did not help.

I have installed the Partition tool and executed. It is showing that I have different partitions. However, Ubuntu is still showing all the disk space as unpartitioned.

I don't know what to do. So, I tried installing Ubuntu for 4 times all the time, the same problem occurs.