PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] error installing jre1.6.0_13

marquis-de-carabas
April 10th, 2009, 11:43 PM
Okay. First I downloaded the binary from the java website. I put it into /opt/java/ on my desktop. I changed the permissions on the file to a+rwx. Then, I used cd to get to the /java and I executed the file with the command:
./jre-6u13-linux-i586.bin
I accepted the terms of aggreement and it installed, generating a folder called jre1.6.0_13 in /java
Now I am trying to set this runtime env as the default but i have hit a snag. I did this:
sudo update-alternatives --install "/usr/bin/java" "java" "/opt/java/jre1.6.0_13/bin/java" 1 /*all on one line*/
sudo update-alternatives --set java /opt/java/jre1.6.0_13/bin/java

the first command worked but the second spits out this message:
update-alternatives: Cannot find alternative `/opt/java/jre1.6.0_13/bin/java'.

Does anyone know why this may be?
I run Ubuntu Hardy using i believe 32 bit.
I am relatively new at this.

cariboo
April 11th, 2009, 12:40 AM
I would suggest that you installed the ubuntu-restricted-extras meta package, this will install Flash, java, mscorefonts and most of the codecs needed to play most audio/video media. THe ubuntu-restricted-extras meta package is in the repositories and you can use Add/Remove Programs, Synaptic Package Manager and of course the command line to install it.

Jim

marquis-de-carabas
April 11th, 2009, 01:09 AM
I actually tried that before and after installing I used the tool on java's website that detects java on your computer and it said it couldn't find it.
Also, the new things weren't listed in firefox 3.0.8's add-ons menue located at Tools->Add-ons. Do you have to do something to get the packages contents into firefox?

taurus
April 11th, 2009, 01:11 AM
What's the output of this command from a terminal?

uname -m

marquis-de-carabas
April 11th, 2009, 01:12 AM
i686
Do I need to uninstall other java's like icedtea before the new one will work?

taurus
April 11th, 2009, 01:16 AM
Sometimes you need to reboot your machine.

marquis-de-carabas
April 11th, 2009, 01:31 AM
okay I restarted it didn't work.

I looked at my installed programs list and I have the following:
Sun Java 6 Runtime
Sun Java 6.0 Plugin
OpenSDK Java Runtime
Icedtea Java Plugin
ubuntu restricted access thing you had me download.

Are any of these jse1.6.0_13 or would any of these prevent it from working. Is there any other way to set jse1.6.0_13 to default?