PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] How to put a new kernel into Ubuntu installation disk?

whistlingtony
April 10th, 2009, 11:06 PM
Hi all,

I have two usb drives that I carry with me at all times, loaded up with the Ubuntu install disks. They make a great little recovery/install tool.

I run a/n EEE pc by Asus. Some of the hardware doesn't play nice with the stock kernel... I want my wireless to work when using my little usb sticks.

I have the .deb packages for the array kernel(custom kernel that will make all my hardware work).

How do I get into the image contained on the usb keys to make changes? If I had installed linux onto the keys as if they were drives, I could just chroot in, but... the keys have images. Sorry, I only know what I've broken, and i've never broken these yet.

Thanks!

-Tony

Grognot
April 11th, 2009, 12:03 AM
Got a feeling this could end up rolling you own livecd which I can't remember how to do :P However A while back I was looking around for a simple way to install Crunchbang without a optical drive. I ended up putting the image onto a USB drive and installing from that. I used an app called UNetbootin (http://www.pcmech.com/article/how-to-install-ubuntu-linux-with-no-optical-drive/) and I noticed an option to use a custom kernel. Not sure if it helps, it could do :)