PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] can't get past initial loading screen

mongtufa
April 10th, 2009, 08:44 PM
I'm trying to install hardy hero on an old computer I have. I select install, and then a loading screen comes up with the orange bar bouncing back and forth. After a few minutes, that disappears and I'm left with a blinking cursor on the top left of the screen for another couple minutes. Then, it stops blinking and I'm left with a black screen... do I just need to wait longer?

lisati
April 10th, 2009, 08:46 PM
What kind of specs does your old computer have?

mongtufa
April 10th, 2009, 08:53 PM
I just brought it home from work, and on a second look, it doesn't actually have a hard drive. Hm.

But besides that, 633 mhz celeron processor, 64 MB ram, and a 32X cd-rom drive.

:) I guess I better check on getting a hard drive in there somewhere... but should I be getting further than that anyway?

edit: thanks for the speedy reply

Agent.Logic_
April 10th, 2009, 09:13 PM
I had a similar problem, but I don't know if it might be related. More specifically, what video adapter/chipset does the old computer have? My laptop is fairly new, albeit built with a sh**ty video adapter from Taiwan (surprise, surprise!) to make the laptop cost cheaper than if it had an Intel one. Anyway, I realised my problem was a display driver issue. You might want to hit F4 on the LiveCD menu and choose "safe graphics" option so that Ubuntu does not care about the hardware as far as display adapters go. That will fix the blank screen issue.

mongtufa
April 10th, 2009, 09:40 PM
I had a similar problem, but I don't know if it might be related. More specifically, what video adapter/chipset does the old computer have? My laptop is fairly new, albeit built with a sh**ty video adapter from Taiwan (surprise, surprise!) to make the laptop cost cheaper than if it had an Intel one. Anyway, I realised my problem was a display driver issue. You might want to hit F4 on the LiveCD menu and choose "safe graphics" option so that Ubuntu does not care about the hardware as far as display adapters go. That will fix the blank screen issue.

No luck, same thing happens.

Agent.Logic_
April 10th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Ah, I see. I had this problem too on my laptop (even with the safe graphics turned on), but I thought you might have better luck. :( Are you trying the "Try Ubuntu without installing" option or are you actually installing it?

mongtufa
April 13th, 2009, 02:40 AM
Ok, I can get as far as to where I need a hard drive now. I just replaced the ram in the computer with some I had hanging on my wall in a display, and it worked. Funny thing is I wasn't trying to fix the problem really, I just figured I was gonna do it sooner or later. :) Thanks for the help.