PDA

View Full Version : Cloud computing will help linux desktop in the long run.

wildman4god
April 10th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Here's why I think that.

Your average computer user (we are talking the one who can't even try a reboot by them selves to fix a problem) is likely to embrace cloud computing and I think thats good for them because now 99% of their computer problems are now server side where there are paid staff their to fix problems as fast as possible, which shouldn't be a lot if they use Linux severs (most server admins I talk to say the only reason their Linux servers go down is for maintenance), and plus this would drastically reduce the cost of their computer as now the computer doesn't need a high end processor, they could easily make a cloud client for less than a hundred dollars especially if they use Linux os like GOS Cloud.

Your probably now asking why this has anything to do with the Linux desktop, well here's how. Most of the people who will switch to cloud computing were previously windows user's and now they will be using the Linux kernel, which we know has most of the drivers for Linux, meaning if user's switch they will still want to use their ipods, peripherals, webcams, etc. so now manufacturers will have to provide drivers for the Linux kernel. and that means that the driver will work across all Linux distros. Also cloud computing will hurt companies like nvidia and ati, etc. because now your average use has no need for high end hardware, they will now look towards Linux users to make their sales because I have found that most Linux users, while we will use cloud services, will not give up their desktops. I believe desktops will still have a place among the more technically oriented users, because I can't imagine making a 3d movie or game, or mixing tracks or programing all in a web browser. Also not every one wants their data and software on a server they have no control over. So in the end this is why i think that cloud computing can be a good thing for both average computer users and Linux users. Also I don't see mac users giving up their macs any time soon either.

Paqman
April 10th, 2009, 06:08 PM
I don't think the cloud will hurt the desktop much, but you might start to see a lot more ubiquitous low-powered devices running Linux that complement our existing desktops, laptops and netbooks. I'm thinking of small PCs built into cars, TVs, appliances, etc.

So folks might be using Linux without really being aware of it.

wildman4god
April 10th, 2009, 06:16 PM
I think another trend we will start to see it terminals popping up all over the place, like airplanes and hotels, mainly for the business user who only uses a computer for business and nothing else. so that way he will not have to buy and carry around a laptop or netbook. and since he normally works on the cloud, that means all his data and programs are accessible at any of these terminals.

Polygon
April 10th, 2009, 06:22 PM
it also means that you don't even own your own data anymore, as its on some server which YOU don't control, and you have to abide to some terms of service to use/access your data. pass.

Paqman
April 10th, 2009, 06:24 PM
it also means that you don't even own your own data anymore, as its on some server which YOU don't control, and you have to abide to some terms of service to use/access your data. pass.

I assume you've never had a webmail account then? Cloud computing has actually been around for a long time, it's just trendy right now.

wildman4god
April 10th, 2009, 06:29 PM

From what I've seen your average computer user doesn't care where their data is as long as they can access/use it. And I've checked some people think its better to have their data on a server because they think its safer their then if they were in direct control of it, and after hearing help desk horror stories about user's and how they mis manage data, I agree that normal users don't deserve to have all control over their data, they don't know how to properly manage it. However Like I said, Linux users know what they are doing so of course we wouldn't want our data out of our control, so Linux users (Linux desktop users) will be the majority of desktop users left, so manufacturers will target us for their hardware which means they have to provide drivers. So again in the long run cloud is good for both kinds of users.

Methuselah
April 10th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Cloud computing is probably better for businesses.
I don't buy a computer to store everything elsewhere outside my control.

nstolar
April 10th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Ya really think that the most can't get past a normal boot? Guess I haven't seen that many new users out there........ Just Click here and Click! Click ! Click ! Awwwwww Man....... It stopped Yes, come to think Guess you are right. :lolflag:

This is the most user friendly version of Lunux ever I am haven fun even.

Polygon
April 10th, 2009, 07:49 PM
I assume you've never had a webmail account then? Cloud computing has actually been around for a long time, it's just trendy right now.

sure, all my email is on google's servers, but if i really cared about my email, i could just set up my own IMAP server at my house, and tell it to download all of my email from google's servers (which you can do) and be done with it

it just so happens that gmail has the best interface for webmail... in my opinion so i use it

i however would not trust a company with the entire contents of my hard drive.

the only way i would allow myself to use cloud computing if my data was encrypted on the server, and only I had access to the decryption key/password.

Paqman
April 11th, 2009, 10:17 AM
it just so happens that gmail has the best interface for webmail... in my opinion so i use it

i however would not trust a company with the entire contents of my hard drive.

Who said anything about your entire hard drive?

Most of us are already using Cloud computing, it's nothing new. I use the Google services a lot (Docs, Calender, Gmail, etc) since it makes moving multiple machines easy (eg: home and work). There's been talk of a "Gdrive" type service, but I can't see the point of moving all your data into the Cloud, you'd only do it with information that you needed access to from multiple locations. Hell, anyone with access to server space can do that right now.

Most people are always going to have a certain amount of files they'll want to keep locally. Anybody suggesting the notion of the cloud indicates otherwise is talking out of their butt, IMO.